Greco EGC 68-60 with Microphonic Pickups

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by higain617, Jul 12, 2017.

1. higain617

higain617 Junior Member

I have an '89 Greco EGC 68-60 with the original Screamin' pickups. I love the way these sound, but they squeal like all hell under high gain when I'm not playing. Were these originally potted? I'd like to salvage them as I can't narrow down anything to replace them with.

2. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

I have the same guitar, same year in ebony. I believe the screamin's were wax potted. I don't have the same problem with mine but i don't use them with super high gain. They have a definite voice to them, some people love them, and some don't at all. You might find someone who has a set willing to sell around this forum. Good luck.

3. higain617

higain617 Junior Member

Thanks for the response. I think the pickups sound great clean or overdriven. With the aftermarket saturated with pickups, I'm not sure what would get me a similar tone. From what I've read, they're basically ceramic PAF's.

brianbzed likes this.
  4. brianbzed

brianbzed Senior Member

Ceramic PAF's? Wow......there are probably dozens of high-quality pup sets that would fit the bill.....I have NO idea where to start! Would be a fun "tone quest" I believe!

5. higain617

higain617 Junior Member

The Screamin' pickups have good tone, although they are a bit thin. There are tons of pickups out there. I've always been more accustomed to making the stock ones work, so I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm leaning towards the Bill Lawrence (Wilde) L500R and L500L right now. Hopefully, they'll fit in the cavities alright.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017