Grain filling question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by archey, Nov 9, 2017.

1. archey

archey Senior Member

Probably a dumb question, but here I go. After filling the grain and wiping the excess off do I have to sand it? The filler has colored the mahogany a nice shade that I'd like to keep.

2. Draxond

Draxond Member

You should sand at least a little, purely to get a nice level surface for your finish. You don’t need to take it all off, but you’ll definitely want to smooth it out.

archey likes this.
  3. AlexGT

AlexGT Member

If you have used an oil based filler with aniline dye you schould not sand it.

archey likes this.
  4. SlingBlader

SlingBlader Premium Member

Hey Kenny, on my builds I sanded up to 220 before I grain filled. I applied my home-made filler and wiped off the excess with a squeegee and some cheese cloth. I went back and re-wiped/buffed lightly a couple of times over the next 20 minutes or so, to be sure that all the surfaces were nice and smooth. After that, I just hung them for a couple days to be sure everything was completely dry before I shot a light seal coat. It worked really well.

Gary

Joth and archey like this.
  5. archey

archey Senior Member

Thanks guys! The tricky part will be sanding the sharper edges and not making the color uneven looking.

6. archey

archey Senior Member

jkes01, charisjapan, RAG7890 and 2 others like this.
  7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

Very creative and nice work!
    Thanx 4 Sharin'
    Gene

archey likes this.
  8. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Looks like the guy on the cover of "In the court of the crimson king" :)

Nice job :)

9. Draxond

Draxond Member

As I mentioned, light sanding is the trick. Avoid any form of heavy pressure. A trick I’ve read before (probably here somewhere) is to use a coarse, rough fabric instead of sand paper. Burlap would be ideal. This will level the surface of wipe marks and bumps, but won’t take much filler off the level portions. Should help with those corners.

And that carving is awesome. Better than I ever could’ve attempted.

archey likes this.
  10. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I'm with Sling Blader. I do the sanding before the filling. I do use oil based filler, which stains, and I absolutely do not stain afterwards. As Sling Blader described, it works really well to wipe. There's no sanding-through, and you get a nice even color and surface. Then you seal and finish, and sand as appropriate to that part of the process. And, OP, it's not a "dumb question." Grain filling is an area where we have many, many different products and techniques being used. People are rarely super-confident or feel like they've mastered it. I sure haven't. I've just found the method that feel best and works best for me. I've read about other, very different approaches that some use beautifully.

archey likes this.
  11. archey

archey Senior Member

Got a pretty even looking color, except it chipped a bit off because I left the covers in and it dried. When I took them out a bit of the filler flaked off. Shouldn't be a big deal to put a touch more on that spot I don't think. Now I just need to stain the top and shoot some lacquer on it.

https://imgur.com/EpqU6kZ

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 6:58 PM
    pinefd and SlingBlader like this.