Got to record a string quartet in 3D audio

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by yeti, Jul 13, 2017.

1. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I recently had the opportunity to record and mix a 360 video production with spatial audio. It was a fun project, we learned a lot and I thought that some here might enjoy it. For best results view with VR headset or on your computer using Google Chrome or the latest Firefox as Safari and windows explorer won't support Ambisonic/ spatial audio. I wish they would have let me clean up the cabling but they wanted that raw look, including ladder, studio props, etc.

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Super cool! Technical details please! Mics? I see lines running to each player....are you using something like DPAs on the instruments? Room mic?

3. DarrellV

DarrellV 1 Year old and 8K this month or bust! Premium Member

What Freddy said! :hyper:

4. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I used 4 hardwired dpa 4060s and a Calrec Soundfield MK IV into a Sound Devices 664 mixer. The 664 has the ability to take phantom powered line level signals, a real life saver with these hot little mics. I love those for everything except as lavs for speech, too sensitive but they make killer piano mics.
    Anyway, I recorded 8 tracks (4 dpa + 4channel B-format ) and mixed in Protools 11 with audio ease 360 pan to pan the mono mics into a 3D soundfield that moves according to headtracking data ( with VR headset) or cursor movement. What you hear is about 70% Calrec and 30% dpa , which increase the spatial resolution dramatically (too much for my taste but that's what they wanted). When the shot changes to the outside perspective the dpa's get re-panned to match the new tighter positions while the Calrec B format is reduced to only the W-channel. The fun part was to move the zero axis of the soundfield manually with Soundfield's surroundzone2, no way to automate that yet. I had 5 instances of that plug in because they used that center shot 5 times with 5 different zero points and the last one moves so I manually rotated the Calrec in post and printed that to a new quad track. after mixing I bounced straight into the QT movie and injected Metadata for the spatial audio to be recognized by Youtube. Audio ease 360 pan comes with a handy workflow for that.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  5. yeti

yeti Senior Member

So you guys get the spatial audio (sound image moving as you move the video) ??? What browser/ VR headset are you using to watch?
    Thanks in advance, this would be very helpful to know. I have verified Google Chrome and the latest Firefox.

6. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Thanks for the tech description. I got the spatial audio (Firefox) but I don't have a VR headset. I just used a mouse to pan around.

7. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Thanks, Freddy. With a VR headset it get's kinda funky. Google cardboard seems to work but Sony PS4 does something to diminish/ eliminate the spatial audio completely when streaming youtube, strange. I'd like to do a rock band recording this way with the listener in the center.

8. John Scrip

John Scrip Senior Member

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHRRRRRRRGGGGGH!!!!

I threw it into a spin and couldn't stop it! Freaky....

9. yeti

yeti Senior Member

^^^^^^^
    How did you do that? Wear a VR headset and sit on a chair that spins?

And another question: Here to stay or gimmick? Remember 3D Television?