Got some new speakers

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by LenPaul, Jan 29, 2017.

1. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

I just grabbed these for the wifey to play tunes wireless from her laptop.
    Anyone use them for reference monitors??
    To my ear they sound pretty darn good,,, Opinions needed from them that have or tryed.
    KEF X series

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

2. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

they don't look like they would be specd for studio monitors, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't suffice. the whole idea of studio monitors is to have a flat/neutral reproduction, with no character added.

3. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Understood, but how do you spec out flat neutral response, my guess would be by comparing them to higher end near field monitors, listening & hearing any deficiencies or exaggerations in the overall sound & forming an opinion of said speakers.

4. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

you spec out flat response like any other characteristic. just like any amplification product has their own tone stack. ask the manufacturer for a frequency graph. that would be the best indicator. and even "low end" studio monitor frequency graphs would be a good barometer. but those are just numbers. things like sound staging, etc can't be graphed.

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Use your ears, get used to them. That's all that counts. Try some mixes on them and see how they translate. Specs and graphs are virtually meaningless.

6. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

Those speakers are certainly not inexpensive. So I hope they sound decent for you.

I've been mixing using only some old EV MS-802's set up as room monitors, and then bringing the mixes to my bedroom where I have some small Creative computer speakers [that I love]. I also have some old Tannoy PBM 6.5's sitting close up near the desk, but almost never use them because I dislike having to translate between 6" and 8" speakers. But I miss being able to listen up close. So I broke down today and grabbed an open box pair of HS8's for $450. Anyone using them?

7. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

Just hooked up the HS8's [they got shipped with lightning speed] and they sound great. Don't think anyone would find much to complain about by choosing them for monitors. I had been considering the JBL LSR 308's. But I think these are plenty musical.

8. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Spent some time with KEF's . I like em, mixes translate well across my other monitors, stereo & surround systems & car stereo.
    Not a speaker for them that like loud though, they started to sound brittle & fatiguing at 75 db. by the spl meter & my ear ache.
    The wife got a nice pair of computer speakers though:) she loves em. & she don't mind if I borrow em from time to time,

9. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

:thumb: