good, transparent compressor with buffer?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Rhust, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

just exploring options. currently using a mooer yellow comp, and like it fine.

but I currently using a soul food for JUST the buffer, and the glove for light dirt.

I picked up the new OCD to serve as the buffer+glove in one pedal... but I'm not sure I like it any better than the glove... it sounds great, but so does the glove... so I'm just wondering if there is a great comp that has a buffer

when I'm playing clean the comp is always on as a tone sweetener, and softens the pick attack a little for chords... making them sound more full... when playing with low drive I usually leave the comp off, but makes almost no difference if I leave it on, either... more drive, the comp is definitely off, this is when I switch channels on the amp, and I'm using the amp gain.

I've been using 2 buffers, because there is 70 foot of cable total... 20 each, to and from the effects loop, and 20 from the board to the main input, plus 10 from the guitar to the board.

before the amp: yellow comp, OCD v2 (or soul food+glove),
    then 20 foot to the amp
    20 foot back to the board
    Dunlop volume pedal mini(with tuner on tuner out), boss CE-5, carbon copy, flashback mini

2. Dash

Dash Member

I'm pretty sure the Boss CS-3 has a buffer. Can be had at a reasonable price used. I think I paid around $65 for mine in like new condition.

Rhust likes this.
  3. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I had one of those, and didn't care for it at the time, but then again, I was in a different place and time then... I didn't find it transparent at all... very squishy

4. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

I use a Joyo Scorpion compressor and a TC Electronics Polytune 3 ( combined Buffer & tuner )
    I have it placed first on my board ( closest to the guitar). I am toying with the idea of not using a compressor anymore. I want to see how my pedals can perform without it.
    What genre of music do you mostly play?
    BP
    P.S. I'm thinking 2 buffers are not required on your board. From whom did you get that idea?

5. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I don't strictly need 2, but I wanted one near the beginning. The chorus is staying regardless. With that much cable I figured 2 was probably getting close to a requirement.

This board is doing double duty... metal and heavy rock m-f, at home, but on Sunday I play with the church band... hence the compressor :)

6. Burst Boy

Burst Boy Senior Member

I have a Keeley Compressor Pro. It's very transparent (sometimes it sounds a little too transparent because I'm used to compressors that colour the sound and I like it). I don't know if it has a buffer though so am of no help.

Have you considered a quality dedicated buffer pedal? There are some available on the market and the benefit is there is more flexibility with placing it where it has the most benefit to the effects chain. Just a thought...

7. BanditPanda

Why does the church gig require a compressor?
    Using 2 compressors you are compressing your signal twice ( I guess that's obvious lol ).
    Then with whatever O/D's or distortion pedals you may be using the signal is getting compressed again! That is over kill ! lol
    Once the signal is compressed ( by the compressor) there is no need for another compressor in the signal path.
    In the end if you're happy with your sound that's all that counts.

8. BanditPanda

I checked out the adverts for both the 400$ & 200$ models of the Keeley Compressor Pro and there was no mention of a buffer or buffering ability. You've got to think that if it was there they would advertise it.

9. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Ok, so, I'm an idiot. All my worries about a buffer... and my effects loop is buffered...

I figured this out because today I was having some volume issues and went mute at the end of our set, I look over and the tube bias indicator on my amp was red... dead power tubes... fine yesterday, but wonky today...

I use the compressor with the clean tone to sustain and ring out nicely, and sound even, by the way... and don't use it with the od unless I forget.. btw

10. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

The best compressor i have used is the Origin Effects Cali 76 Compact Deluxe (and i have owned a few). It is the best by a long way though.

Second place is the new Boss CP-1X

Third would be the TC Electronic Nova Dynamics although its hard to find.

All are buffered.

Rhust likes this.
  11. PRS

PRS Senior Member

Yep. Cali76 CD is the best comp I have played. Followed by the Keeley GC-2. Which is also great. The Cali adds some flavor and sweetness. The GC-2 is the cleanest most transparent comp I've played. Doesn't add anything. Just gives you more of exactly what you already have.

Rhust likes this.
  12. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I'm considering the keeley. there is a 4 knob version locally that I can afford. the other I'm considering is the SP comp. now that I've figured out it doesn't need to be buffered it opens up possibilities... but I'm in no rush, the mooer is actually pretty nice, I like that with the tone knob I can tighten up the bass or add a little treble, without the compression increasing

13. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

Don't discount the Cali - seriously nothing comes close. They do a cheaper version of it too with less knobs.

14. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

yea, btw, I don't need the buffer, but couldn't update the title...

the Cali is out of my budget... I'm sure it's sweet but oof.

15. chunktone

chunktone Member

Been very happy with my Demeter Compulator.