good flat Les pauls

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by mangus, Aug 19, 2017.

1. mangus

mangus Senior Member

Yeah, I know but I've bought kits for less..

2. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

The kits you can buy for $300 are usually pretty junky tbh.

They typically require tons of work to get them to a good standard. The fretwork on them almost always needs work, the body often needs a lot of fine sanding and the electronics and hardware found on those guitars are almost always junk.

When you factor in the cost of the tools you'll require to build the guitar to a good standard, and the amount of woodworking and experience with finishing that you'll need, you're financially a lot better off if you just buy a guitar that's already built.

3. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Are Epiphone Standards out of your price range in Portugal? They're really great guitars for the money.

4. mangus

mangus Senior Member

I like Epis but which models besides the special (not wood)and the Ls(poplar) are flat?
    I have the tools. You're right when you say they are a lot of work, but it's part of the fun. The problem is I can't even find kits. For the double cut yes but not for the single cut.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  5. mangus

mangus Senior Member

Does anyone know if there are any differences between the neck of the single cut and the one of the double cut?

6. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Why has it to be flat ?
    there would be so much more options with an arched top.....

7. mangus

mangus Senior Member

My first guitar was a flat top(epiphone Special II modified with a maple veneer, switch in the right position, 4 CTS pots, two Humbucker, hand rubbed burst, Wilkinson bridge, bone but...)
    Made the mistake of selling it and I can't buy it back(owner won't sell it). I want Something better with a set neck to modify

8. mangus

mangus Senior Member

Regarding the neck comparison between LP junior single cut and double cut?

Are there differences?
    I only ask cause I might be able to get a double cut neck and do the rest at home..

9. Grenville

Grenville Senior Member

Agile, Samick, Matsumoku, Cort, Aria Pro II, Ibanez, LTD, the list is endless.

If you miss your old Epiphone Special II, what's the big deal? There are scores of them on Ebay, and I assume they would be plentiful elsewhere too.

If you want better, spend better money. As has been pointed out, for twice as much (still a very small amount in the scheme of things) you can get an actual Gibson.

10. tosh78

tosh78 Senior Member

You can try BYO guitar kits. I never tried them but they seem to have a kit like what you're after.
    You could also check on Aliexpress. Most of the Chinese sellers can customize the guitars. Just tell them to not include a logo in the headstock.