Good article explaining the idea of "cutting through"

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by LPV, Oct 2, 2017.

1. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Who, Mick51, pnuggett and 1 other person like this.
  2. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

To summarise:
    'Turn tone control knobs until sound is good.'

kiko likes this.
  3. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

4. LPV

LPV Senior Member

I had a situation at a show a little while ago. We weren't given any time to soundcheck and the sound guy said just start and I'll adjust. So I start playing and my sound just sucks. Not the mix, me. Feedback, thin, tinny. I honestly didn't know wtf was going on. And I was playing my "A" rig, all my best stuff. The show must go on so I'm playing away totally oblivious to everything else going on when I should be taking it all in having fun, but I'm all focused on why it sounds so bad. Half way thru the third song my brain relaxed and it just clicked in my head - "that's a cocked wah! SOB the wah is on". I hardly ever put it on my board but I did this time for fun. In the haste I totally forgot it was there. Kicked on it and bang!, huge rush of tone. But! While I was playing like that I was kind of shocked at how it totally changed the way I played. Notes cut like lasers. Now I could never use that sound for any real purpose but it does really show that sometimes we focus on that "fat" tone so much (big reason why we all love LPs right ?) that it actually works to our detriment with a band. Players with chronic "strat-itus" have known this for a long time. Less can be more, way more.

5. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Mids and treble! Cut some of the gain at higher volume. Make sure you dont sound the same as the bass and drum.