Goldtops with PAFs and wraparound: Tonequests vs. Wildowoods vs. Sweetwaters vs. ...

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by onlyrockrocks, Nov 14, 2013.

1. onlyrockrocks

onlyrockrocks Senior Member

And another thread of mine... :D

From the first time I saw a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Goldtop with PAFs and wraparound bridge I wanted to have one.

So far I've found out that there have been quite a few runs. Of course with Daves Tonequest series starting it all in 2003 and 2004 (R4). Others followed with Wildwood in 2010 (R4 with '55 neck) or Sweetwater in 2012 (R4) for example. I also found a Murphy aged one from 2007 (R7). The Tonequests are known to be nice, but the later ones already have the nylon nut, steel studs and bushings etc..

Do you have any experience with these guitars? Maybe any preferences for a series and/or year? I'm not sure yet which road to choose...

As always thanks a lot in advance! Looking forward to your input...

2. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

3. Mcholley

Mcholley Member

Well,

I like mine! Dave's run, 2003 with Brazilian board....this thing is also very light. Great Guitar,

[​IMG]

Mark

9 people like this.
  4. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:wow: :wow: :thumb: :applause:

I like yours as well. :)

There are many who believe Wraptails + Humbuckers (or P90's) = Awesome. :thumb:

:cheers:

5. bluefrog

bluefrog Senior Member

wow cool looking lester!!!

6. onlyrockrocks

Yeah, really nice!

Has anyone had the chance to compare a 2003 against a 2004 and/or even played one of the later runs in that style by other retailers such as Wildwood, Sweetwater or anyone else...?

Thanks!

7. MiniB

MiniB Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOqwTUtd6VQ[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  8. Moe Thomas

Moe Thomas Junior Member

I am a big fan of wraps and owned Prototype #1 of the 55 Series with humbuckers. I have a Firebird I with a wrap too. I think wraps are the only set up that sounds better than the ABR.

9. onlyrockrocks

Ah, you got #1. I guess Prototype #2 is still available. Still thinking about wether to go with one of Daves ToneQuests or another model (maybe Prototype #2 ;))...

10. MiniB

MiniB Senior Member

What are the differences that you've noticed, if comparing PAF'd LP's?

11. onlyrockrocks

I guess the necks differ as well as the bridges (stud and bushing lengths, steel vs. non-steel parts, TonePros vs. Gibson tailpiece). Also, some ToneQuest seem to have brazilian fretboards, although I guess there were only a few in 2003? So far I don't know about anything else (woods, laquer, special ordered features...). That's why I'm here... ;)

12. MiniB

MiniB Senior Member

I actually meant tone/sound wise.....any noticeable differences between the two bridge setups that immediately stand out?

13. onlyrockrocks

Ok, sorry. To be honest I don't know... :laugh2: I love wrapaound Juniors for their directness, but haven't had the chance to play a PAFed Standard with wraparound so far. But from the very first time I saw one, I wanted to have one. Other than that, I just would love to try/play something new.

14. MiniB

MiniB Senior Member

I think they're tres cool as well, and I've only played Juniors too as far as wraparounds. Wonder if it imparts a fatter tone or the like.

15. Mcholley

Mcholley Member

Well,

To me it's feel first and foremost. I love the tension of the strings, and I love resting the side of my palm on the tailpiece....it really is my favorite....I own 10 Historic LP's, and 6 of them are wraparound, and see the most gig time.

Here's a shot of the 2 flavors of Gold Top I play....'03 R4TQ Brazilian, '07 R4

[​IMG]

Mark

2 people like this.
  16. StubbyJ

StubbyJ Senior Member

On wraps, are you limited to stock string gauge due to intonation.

17. Mcholley

Mcholley Member

No, you are not limited...originally the wrap bridges were used to having the extra wound string, but I don't have issues, although I would like to try one of Dan from MojoAxe's tailpiece...hopefully some day!

Mark

18. onlyrockrocks

Niiice guitars!!! Do you have any favorite(s)?

19. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

+ 1, I used this Bridge for my '54 Replica.

[​IMG]

MojoAxe Replica Les Paul Pickguards

Does anyone know what the actual difference is between a TQ R4 '03 & TQ R4 '04..........other than maybe BRW?

:cheers:

20. Mcholley

Mcholley Member

I do....they are all tools for making the music I do, and although I don't gig as much as I did in the past, I still do, and always hope to do more...the scene can be challenging...

These days, I am partial to my P90 guitars, and usually if I'm at a gig, a few of those are there, and I always take an R8 that is my go to Humbucker guitar...

The R8 and R4 P90 make it to every gig, and the others cycle through depending on set list, and what is needed.

'05 R8 and '07 R4

[​IMG]

Thanks for asking, and I hope I answered your question? (Also, sorry for the thread derailment....not intended)

Mark

2 people like this.