Goldtop Fever has caught me, pre NGD thread, don't kill me

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by Jeremiah, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

I've been wanting a '76 Deluxe Goldtop for a while now, but I can't afford these banker's prices (and still stay married). I definitely paid more than you guys would for this '81, but it was less than my other two Deluxes, and they're already '76, so I unclenched a bit on that self placed restriction to bring this one home. It is by no means pristine, some homestyle "relic"-ing, a Kahler route, routed for a humbucker on the bridge, Grovers. Basically this is THE 80's Goldtop. I can't wait to plug in. The fellow on Reverb was super responsive to questions, so that was definitely a good sign.

It is my birthday on the 24th so my wife was super cool about the money, and just wished me a Happy Birthday with an eye roll.

Pic courtesy of the seller

Link at the bottom to my own pictures
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  2. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

While some (many) Les Paul fans don't like a Kahler, I think this one is great.

Gibson Les Pauls have a history, that flows and intertwines with the history of rock itself. To ignore that, and pretend the only rock LP is a "vintage" is to ignore reality.

What you have is, as you said, THE 80's Les Paul. The shape and color, the flash of a locking trem.... a guitar made when MTV was being born.

In 1981, REO Speedwagon and Rick Springfield ruled "rock". In the first couple of years of your goldtops's life, we got Crue, Poison, Kiss-as-a-hairband, WHITESNAKE, Scorpions......

Your Goldtop is an excellent version of the Les Paul fitting in with the time. I like yours a lot.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    bum and gtrslngnhairbag like this.
  3. Who

As part of the 1980's history lesson, keep in mind what happened to the gods of the 1970's Gibsons....

Jimmy Page
    [​IMG]

Pete Townshend:
    The first video played twice on MTV.
    IMG_0309.jpg

The Nuge:
    [​IMG]

The Les Paul was dying. Your example will one day be looked at like the humbucker-routed Norlins... what was done to keep with the times.

MTV's impact on the look of a guitar was bigger than what happened in the early sixties that led to Gibson discontinuing the Les Paul.

gtrslngnhairbag likes this.
  4. Assault Bacon

Assault Bacon Senior Member

They all became rich and grew old?

Who likes this.
  5. Who

Yes they did. They were all quite rich by the time a kid came along to end the reign of the Les Paul.

The 80s requirement of a tremolo arm, can probably be traced back to a single photograph.

[​IMG]

Never mind that Eddie recorded with Gibsons.... and even had one at the photo shoot that day...
    [​IMG]

I truly believe that if that pic made the cover of such a breakthrough album (in the time of no MTV), the entire history of Gibson would be much different.

Mockbel and mdubya like this.
  6. Who

Wow.... I went off on a bit of a rant there, didn't I?

Sorry about that!

Happy upcoming NGD!

DarrellV and Donal like this.
  7. Jeremiah

nah man, much appreciated. it is a discussion forum, after all

gtrslngnhairbag and Who like this.
  8. judson

judson Senior Member

very nice...i think at some point gold top fever hits most players, the first gibson lp i ever touched was a naturally aged 69-to 71 gold top and if you saw any of my recent posts that fever is getting bad...its gonna happen one day i just dont know when...

very very nice, enjoy it :thumb:

Who likes this.
  9. judson

judson Senior Member

lol i saw an ad for decafe coffee...your posts were used in the Before and After section...

honestly who, those are some good thoughts, screw the decafe..:hyper::rofl:

Who likes this.
  10. Assault Bacon

I may have poked the bear... sorry.

I do like your GT, though. Happy NGD!

Who likes this.
  11. Assault Bacon

Hey - can I ask a couple question about your gold top? I'm curious about the installation and operation of the Kahler.

1. Is it running as a full floater?
    2. When you get it, can you report back on what it sounds like?

Who likes this.
  12. Jeremiah

I’ll be happy to report, and soon as I get it

Who likes this.
  13. 1969 weatherman

1969 weatherman Senior Member

check out Kelly Johnson rocking a 1980 goldtop

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    cherrysunburst00 and Who like this.
  14. jojo

jojo Senior Member

Cool guitar !

15. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD!.........It's a Nerlin! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Nice guitar and +1 to everything @Who said! I owned some cheapies back then when Kahler was king and had a couple of them.

My 82 actually had one at some point in its past as the depression is still there in the top and the 2 screw holes are nicely filled on the headstock.

I never found one that worked or stayed in tune for me but they looked reaally cool on there!

16. Jeremiah

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  17. Jeremiah

Had a hurdle with the tuning, until I restrung. The way it was done it would not hold tune for anything. I think they were set to restring it, but when I told them what I play (Reverend Willy 7's), they put the old ones back on. Once I put mine on, the tuning is as stable as my other guitars.

18. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I can't say that Kahler-equipped LPs are in any way characteristic of the 80's because they're just not (nor are the mini and regular humbucker pairing), but unless you're running a museum, who cares? The massive LP body makes a great platform for a Kahler because it's stable as heck, and there's sound reasoning in combining those two PUs. Now that it's no longer a felony to put a Kahler or Floyd on a LP -- far better than a clunky, feeble Bigsby, if you ask me -- you're good to go.

19. Jeremiah

It was blocked when I received it, since it is just for show I'll most likely keep it that way, since it didn't come with the trem arm anyway. If I can score one, I might unblock it. I haven't opened the cavity but the wiring must be pretty sound, I'm not hearing any popping or cracking. There is none of that buzz when touching certain parts of the guitar, so the grounding must be good as well.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I can hear a difference between this and a non-trem Les Paul. I am sure there are people with more discerning ears that could tell a difference but I'm not one of them.

Assault Bacon likes this.