Gold Speedwinders....

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by HardCore Troubadour, Mar 2, 2017.

1. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

2. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Senior Member

Hey, I gotta set of those. I think mine are cleaner, I'd let'em go for $225 shipped to a forum member.

:)

3. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Since we're on the subject I bought a set of those a while back, so I
    have the original 1982 gold tulip tuners from my Standard, with screws if anybody needs them.. NOT Speed-winders.

4. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Wow...I didn't know they were trending that high!

How many years did Gibson use them? 3?... 81, 82, 83?

5. KV242

KV242 Junior Member

Very cool! I'm tempted to pick them up, even though I don't have a use for them at the moment. I'm even more tempted to take deytookerjaabs up on his offer. But I am in mad want/need of some gold T-Tops atm.

6. HardCore Troubadour

I don't know Brother...if a man could be temped at $208.00 shipped (they will fit in a small priorty box)...that would probably be something you needed to jump on....

just sayin'

:D

7. allwheelz

allwheelz Senior Member

I just found out about the speed winders about a month back from the forum...never knew they even existed...pretty cool and kind of rare? For all I know, these are the min-e-tuners of today...or what ever they're called. Either way it's cool to see different things like that....couple year run, model specific?? Do they still offer them today? Just thoughts floating in my head...Sure I could could just google, but what fun is that...I bet theres a fellow member on here that swears by them, collects them, and that's all they use. Do they hold tune, do they flop around after so long......

8. HardCore Troubadour

not really rare, they put them on a ton of guitars in the early 80's...always worked well, but I rately actually use the "handel" part.

problem is most all of them are still on those guitars, you do not see them come up too often.

someone still makes a version, but I do not remember who.....

9. DarrellV

I sought them out to put on mine! I remember them from the first time I tried to buy this guitar back in '83. I thought they were the coolest thing.
    If memory serves they were a LP Custom feature at the time.

I just thought them and the posi-locks were the coolest thing so I had to get a set of each to outfit my long awaited prize!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They seem well made. German Schaller quality. They don't fall out as there is a small flat spring inside each one that snaps the handle down.

The small tensioner screw is still in there as well. It just takes a thin screw driver to reach it and the turning tension can be adjusted just like any other machine.

I love them during string change or mods since these are not slotted or locking heads, they must be cranked down with a couple of turns on the string to hold securely.

They're the bomb for this or if you break a string while playing. Spin a new one right on!

Posi-lock
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  10. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I've had my Custom for 35 years...1982...came with these tuners. I think they're great, I haven't had any problem with them at all. They work perfectly, string changes are a breeze.

[​IMG]

11. DarrellV

Yeah, Buddy!!! :applause::applause::applause:^^^^^
    Where's that darn LIKE button!!

12. deytookerjaabs

Keep in mind I think they're about 10mm so if your current tuners aren't that big you'll need to do some work to get them to fit. I know I needed conversion posts to go back to the wafflebacks on my custom.

Hmmmmmm....hmmmm...

13. DarrellV

That I wouldn't know anything about since in my case they were a drop in replacement for the originals. Looked just like them, except for the handles....:thumb:

14. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

My 85 SG has them too....which surprised me as I thought they didn't go that late.

15. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

I had a few sets, most gold but one chrome, that were NOS new in the box from a mom and pop store that went out of business. I think I got $75 for each box back in the 00s. I agree with Hardcore that they really aren't that rare.

16. dodger916

dodger916 Senior Member

I like these winders so much that I bought a set for my '77 tobacco Custom. I know it's not "vintage appropriate", so I kept the originals and didn't need to drill new holes. I got lucky; the set I bought back in Sep 2014 (from an '83 LP) cost $60.58 delivered. Looks like I got real lucky!

17. deytookerjaabs

I think the authentic "Gibson" labeled one's are probably rare in that they weren't a huge aftermarket item and like stated..the rest were on guitars.

But, you can likely find the same ones that aren't made for Gibson much cheaper. Mine are actual Gibson models though ;)

18. dodger916

dodger916 Senior Member

Mine are actual Gibsons too. I doubt I would have paid the prices noted in this thread.

19. DarrellV

Just looked and it seems there are at least 3 sets on Fleabay right now. One is Nickle.

Then for fun I visited the SD forum where they were repairing an 88 Custom with these tuners and a Kahler bridge on it.

The guy had no idea what they were but his wife figured it out.

There seemed to be little love or understanding of what they are or what they do and how cool they are!

If this guitar is stock, and it looks to be, then that moves the speed-winders up to at least 1988....

20. mudface

mudface Senior Member

[​IMG]

Come on Darrell do you really drop a pick that often?:laugh2:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017