Gold over Dark Burst Relic

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Mr. Beef, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef Custom Refins/Restoration Premium Member MLP Sponsor

Yeah, it had some discoloration. Not sure what from, but it gone now.:naughty:

2. Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef Custom Refins/Restoration Premium Member MLP Sponsor

It's a little hard to get any work done with my hand all stitched up, but one thing I could do was get to work on tarnishing the bronze powder. I used a few different methods here, and before anyone jumps on me for getting $hit on the plastic or about it looking splotchy, keep in mind that there will be layers upon layers of wear on this thing since I'm taking it "all the way." I've learned that when aging these things you have to build up all the dirt/gunk in order for it to look authentic.

So far I've used vinegar, salt, ammonia, and citric acid (ground up vitamin C tablets dissolved in one of the aforementioned liquids). I've also rubbed in a little dirty grease. I'll probably leave it alone for a bit and finish up other projects. Then I'll try to get the checking going and then keep on banging it up. I'd love to get the gold to start peeling and lifting off the burst layer.

One of these pics shows well the texture between the gold layer and the underlying burst. I haven't really done anything to the hardware yet, but some of it tarnished up and corroded from the vinegar and or ammonia. On the bridge pickup, the vinegar reacted with one of the pole pieces and created a little brown droplet... I think it looks cool. I was able to do the knobs too.

Oh, and the painted pickup seems to be holding up well, as are the two I did on that CAR LP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]