Going to record at a TV Studio this weekend

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by DarrellV, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Cool! love to see the vid....why not just create a youtube account. Then you can embed it here. Have you decided how you're going to do the audio? Total mix from your Touchmix?

DarrellV likes this.
  2. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

HI Freddy! (got it right this time:naughty:)

I was actually thinking of using both. The touch mix for the vocals and the overheads to pick up everything else.

However, I just picked up an HD-400 pedal that offers stereo XLR outs and a studio/live-amp switch on the back.

[​IMG]

I used it for practice last week and I like how it sounds coming out of the monitors. It is easier to hear everything and it lowered the stage volume not having to blast my amp behind my head. Also think it sounds better.
    So I might route it through the touchmix too.

But that brings up a new problem.

I'm having an awful time with the voicing on my guitar.

I just put a new set of hummers into it and it is still way treble heavy.
    No fullness or much bass but the clarity and string separation will rip your face off! :shock:

Problem is for what I play, nice and mellow is more better! :)

It may seem like a side issue for the topic, but to me it's huge. It's affecting my confidence and playing in a negative way. I'm afraid of it sounding too harsh and ruining the song. :shock:

Plus it is frustrating to spin dials and adjust things and nothing makes much of a difference.

I'm thinking of dropping the pots down from 500's to 250's even though they are hummers.

It has always been bright, so I blamed it on the old active tone control someone put in before me, so I changed everything.

It sounds way louder and better, but still painfully bright! :shock:

Pic:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

So does the guitar sounds too bright in any amp you put it through? Geez there's gotta be a thousand things you could do...are you going to rehearse with the exact set-up you'll use in the TV studio? Overhead mics and all? Record it?

4. DarrellV

Yes on both counts. I switched over to the PA from the amp because I couldn't stand it any more. :shock:

I have played with pup heights and pole screws already, but any lower and i lose power in the higher strings and focus in the bass.

No, I actually hadn't thought of setting up our own room for recording a dry run, but I could do it. :fingersx:

I have the Saffire units I showed you and a laptop with Studio One on it, so it could be do-able.... :hmm:

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Are you kidding? That's what I'd be doing if it were a local little station giving you almost no audio support.
    Think of it...with programmable digital mixers you can take the time in you own rehearsal spot to tweak a killer mix. Will it record multitrack? That would be ideal...

6. DarrellV

^^^^^^
    Just saw this, I lost my internet at home last night and you prolly thought I fell off the planet! LOL! :shock:

I just read your PM, and that's a great idea. I never thought of it!

I haven't used the record feature of the Touchmix yet, but I do have a USB HD all formatted for it (FAT32, UGH!) and ready to go. :thumb:

Sorry for the confusion all. I have a Saffire Pro 40 that I use in my studio and I was going to bring it to rehearsal and record with it into my DAW.

Freddy suggested I just cut to the chase and record in to the Touchmix! I'm like, Duh! :facepalm:

Then, as Freddy suggested, I could save the settings to a scene in the Touchmix so we are 90% ready on go live day! :applause:

That's why I came here folks! Two heads really are better than one!:D

7. DarrellV

OK, we are back to the OP!

we will be going this weekend to do the above.

We have extra practice under our belts now and it seems to have paid off.

I used the Touchmix recorder for the first time today and I must say it was not only pretty easy to figure out,

but we sounded pretty darn good too!

I was very encouraged by the quality of pitch and time I heard from me and the boys (and girls).

Downloaded the QSC DAW converter program and ran the files through it tonight.

I now have 32 bit wave files ready to suck into my Studio One DAW....

8. DarrellV

The tracks are in Studio One and trimmed down to cut out the chatter in between.

I am very impressed by what I hear, and it's not the sound quality.

These are still raw tracks with no EQ or polish on them, it was just a practice and there are some rough spots, but the energy is in there!

I found myself shouting out loud with my headphones on every time we nailed a particular part.

Must have sounded like an idiot to my wife, LOL!

But I noticed even she was rockin' and smiling when I put the headphones on her!

I have achieved Lifeson toanz! :jam: I'll call mine a Heifer manure-caster! :laugh2:

Thick and bright and chorusy thanks to the new HD-400 pod.

Haters are gonna hate, but I don't get it yet. Sounds really good to me on the recording. :dunno:

Midnight Blues likes this.
  9. DarrellV

Ran it through my studio workstation and all I can say is WOW!
    No EQ yet, just a little room reverb on the whole mix and finished off through a mastering limiter.
    Wow! It thickened up and the flavor is just bursting at the seams!
    I guess this proves the Touchmix converters are no slouches either!
    I am duly impressed that it sounds this good with low to mid priced mics run into the touchmix.
    I did put presets on the drum channels, but that was it.

10. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

AH come on man!!!! You gotta post it :band:

11. DarrellV

We are doing the real deal THIS weekend, finally!

I am bringing the drum mics and recording everything on the touchmix as well.

That way maybe I can figure out a way to post produce a mix to overdub onto the dvd we get from them.

There has got to be a program out there that will let me take the video stream off the DVD and run it through with the new audio then save it as a new video.

12. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I had imagined that you would be outputting your nice pre-programmed mix from your touchmix in real time for the broadcast? No?

13. DarrellV

Yes!

I plan on using 1 main out to feed his input for the production, and the other main out to feed our monitor chain. That way we hear what he's hearing.

Meanwhile I'll have the touchmix recording the whole thing under the hood, track by track.

14. DarrellV

OK! Mission accomplished! :thumb:

Overall it went very well, with a liberal sprinkling of clams to go around...:facepalm:

What can we say? They put us in at 11 to noon. We got up at 6:30 to make the trip and set up.

It was a little rough getting going without a run through. And I couldn't hear myself well at all since we were hearing the TV mix in the monitors.

I have to get a personal monitor like Donal uses for just my guitar. It really affected my playing, sad to say..:noway:

We ran out of time after setup, but the engineer was happy with the final mix so that's what counts!

The program will be running for several weeks in the near future, and we should get our copies by this weekend!

I was able to successfully record the whole thing on the touchmix as well, and will be mixing those tracks in the near future. :fingersx:

What I've heard this afternoon of listening to it is pretty encouraging overall. :dude:

Don't know yet how retarded I look on camera, but we did have fun and would do it again! :jam:

Donal, CaptainT and Midnight Blues like this.
  15. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Very cool!

16. DarrellV

OK so they finally got around to posting our TV video online and I watched it expecting the worst. :Ohno:

First impression was it sounded pretty good. :thumb: :band:

It didn't take long to realize that the editor was not a musician! :mad2:

i made several 'cameos' during the set and he kept cutting off from me even on songs I was leading on, weird! :wtf:

Solos were heard but rarely seen and none in entirety, but of course, true to the nature of things, my clams were there on full display! :eek2:

I winced on one as I saw myself searching to get back into the proper register... D'oh! :facepalm:

That's that full on brain freeze-can't decide what to play dilemma I mentioned in the 'sucking at something' thread on full display to the world!:run:

But I did have fun and it showed in the video. Lots of smiles and very relaxed all around.

Midnight Blues and Freddy G like this.
  17. DarrellV

I'm going to try to mix the raw tracks that I have from the touchmix and figure out a way to overdub them onto the video.

But for now we have to go with the video mix, which didn't come out that bad overall. :thumb:

Remember it's about an hour long...:shock: Enter at your own risk, LOL! :run:

EDIT: for some reason known only to maybe the forumtech the direct link no longer works, yet the one in my Mexicaster rebuild still DOES, and it's the same link...

So here's the link to that page for anyone who wants a listen. Sorry for the inconvenience!

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/mexicaster-overhaul-with-stone-age-tools-with-pics.387561/page-2

SECOND EDIT: I just found out Midnight Blues put a link on the very next page!

And it works!

What's up with that!!!!

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  18. DarrellV

I did!!! The link is above!
    Go easy on us...

19. druckpig

druckpig Member

That was Great Darrell.
    Long black train is great. the singers voice has a bit of Johnny cash vibe on it which is very cool.
    I also like the Rhett walker thing ..
    You looked like you really enjoyed doing it all . good on you.

DarrellV likes this.
  20. DarrellV

Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it!:cheers:

Here are some stills for meet and greet!

we got our name not because we sound like Angels but because we 'wing it'!

Started about 25 years ago when I would get the music for Sunday service 15 minutes before it started, no practice! :eek2:

I would just have to 'wing it' on bass, which is what i played at the time.

Works the same as moving to another country to learn the language....

Artist in the Berkshires.jpg
    From the left pastor Donnie K, Our 'Man in Black' George C and my lovely wife Brenda!
    AB Pastor Don George and Brenda.jpg
    The Team
    Angel Band overhead.jpg
    Arnie on the drums. He says he's played with Willie Nelson's group back in the day...
    Arnie.jpg
    Big D on the Barbecued Mexicaster. You can really hear the secret sticker toanez here!
    Big D and Barbecued Mexicaster.png

Close up of my Heifer Manure Caster AKA Barbecued Mexicaster with Toanz stickers, LOL!

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Donal and Midnight Blues like this.