Going to record at a TV Studio this weekend

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by DarrellV, Mar 30, 2017.

1. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

Our small humble group has been asked by someone who works at the station to come down and record an hour segment of music, and whatever we like, for broadcast on the local public access station in Massachusetts.

This is a first. :fingersx:

My wife and I have been to the studio already to scope out where it is and what we need to bring, etc.

They even have a large monitor if we want to see ourselves during the taping! :shock:

The thing is, and I'm hoping some of you are familiar with this, I'm not sure of how I want us miked.

The studio claims that other groups have been happy with just 2 overheads picking up everything.

Or, we could bring our board and feed them a mix from that.

I'm thinking this would be better for vocal clarity and flexible mixing.

However, I do like the ease of setup using only the 2 mikes.

But I worry about balance between the bass and guitar amps, let alone drums, with the vocals and each other.

What say you?

HeartString likes this.
  2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Calling yeti!

3. DarrellV

I was hoping you'de pop in Freddie!

Thank you!

HeartString likes this.
  4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Unless you have a good control room monitor/mix situation, I'd bet that just a couple of room mics for the band and then spot vocal mics would give the smoothest, most realistic results.

But I will defer to yeti's opinion.

And that's Freddy with a why :D

HeartString likes this.
  5. DarrellV

:facepalm: doh! Dammit! It's one of my recurring faults Freedy no, sh!t, Freddy!, I'm sorry!

Actually when I spoke to the fella manning the station he said he would get us a sound check that we could hear before hand to see how we liked the mix, or adjust as we wanted.

He sits in a control room with the video switcher et all. (Tricaster). We are in an open fake slate stone floored room.

About 30 x 30

They have a blue curtain they pull out around and behind us for dampening, but it's very thin.

My best guess is to bring our little mixer for clearer vocals and have him blend in the overheads for the rest.

Then I wonder about post production. I take it there is none. A one take wonder. No fixing. :Ohno:

6. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

This is where the band's self mixing discipline will show then. I mean just how well you blend acoustically....nobody is going to bring a Marshall stack right? :D

You sure it's not a "green screen" ?

Nothing like keeping it real eh? :)

7. DarrellV

I asked him about the blue screen and if they were going to chroma key a background behind us.

He said no, but not to wear white clothing for some reason. I'm thinking glare or contrast issues.

No Marshall stacks LOL!!! I couldn't afford one!

Just 2 little VOX Valvetronics guitar amps and a Fender 15" cheapy bass amp that sounds really good. I just can't remember the name of the series.

And acoustic drums.

I'm thinking of running my TC Spark for lead work just to give it a boost.

Also have a volume pedal on my foot board.

We won't need a PA so we are setting everything up as monitors.

We have active 10' floor wedges for everyone.

If we go with board mixed vocals then we don't have to worry about how the overheads pick them up. Never did like mic-ing a speaker for voice.

Very real! That's what keeps me up at night, LOL! :shock:

I keep telling myself its just for fun, we don't know any of the people who will see it or even how many. So why should it matter so much. :D

Still, there is nothing quite liking looking stupid in front of a television audience, now is there? :hmm:

8. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

No I think it's a great thing to do. I used to do this kind of thing all the time on a local late night cable station when I was a kid. Just take the time to set-up and sound good acoustically in the room. Ask the broadcast tech for his/her opinion on if there is anything you can do to improve the sound. If you are going to go with a couple of room mics for the band and then direct mic feeds from your board for the vocals, I might suggest not eating the vocal mic because that extremely direct sound with all the proximity effect will be a jarring difference with the room mics. Just pull back from the vocal mics at least a few inches....hopefully there is a bit of compression for the vocals.

9. John Scrip

John Scrip Senior Member

I've always - I mean, a friend of mine - yeah... A friend of mine always said...

DarrellV likes this.
  10. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Okay, my opinion, nothing more.....
    First, have them turn the monitor off in which you could see yourself. THIS IS A MUST!!

I have done a few of these over the years and I find that the thing that makes or breaks the product is not the details of how it was captured but the comfort level of the performers who , lets face it, are not professionals in most cases. So I would suggest that you bring what you would bring if you had to rehearse for a gig and your regular practice space was unavailable. Get a sound that works for you in that space. If that means a vocal monitor, bring it, if it means IEMs for everybody, bring them. If you can just play no mater what, then just bring your instruments. If you play and balance well it'll translate even if they only use a single EV 635 in the room. I would want there to be a mic for each vocal that you'd approach like Freddy suggested, don't eat it, just address it for some diction/ intelligibility, no way a general pickup mic is going to give you vocals that can be understood. The "blue screen" might just help with the acoustics of the studio. And yes, it'll be fed into the TriCaster and that's it, no post whatsoever. Let's hope they at least know how to route the correct audio and not some rogue camera mic to program.
    Good luck and let us know (or better , post a video) how it went.

11. DarrellV

Truer words have rarely been spoken. I've known a few too!

Thanks for the input.

I'm pretty sure he said the engineer said he would allow us to listen to a dry run beforehand to see if we liked the sound, so if that's the case there is some hope that we don't have to rely totally on the engineers ear.

12. DarrellV

:applause::applause::applause:

That's some good input right there!

I hadn't considered the prox effect of the vocal mics with the room ambience. :shock:

Makes perfect sense. :thumb:

Looks like I might have to quick find some of those pop screens to keep us back a bit. We (myself included) do sometimes chew on the mic.

me because I have one song that's at the bottom of my range and close mic-ing gives me a volume boost on the low parts.

I guess I could just tape some rulers to the mic heads to poke us in the chins if we get too close! :laugh2:

You are also correct on the screen monitor. My wife is already a bit nervous and I agree, it could be distracting. :cool:

13. DarrellV

Thanks for the encouragement Mr Fred! :thumb:

Some great vocal and mic input. I may have just thanked Yeti for the mic-ing advise, but the same gratitude extends to you also!

It makes perfect sense!

Just goes to show you can always learn something new.

I've been running live sound for over 30 years myself but haven't run into this scenario before.

Our board is a QSC Touchmix and has compression and limiting capabilities on all mic channels. We are already using compression in our normal setup.

Should I set the limiter on the mains that feeds the Tricaster? Or does he do that.

14. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

wait a second! I didn't realize you had something like a QSC Touchmix, why not rehearse in your own space beforehand, record and tweak your mix to your liking (I assume the touchmix is programmable?) save the mix once you are happy, then use that for a feed to the broadcast?

Well....according to Mr. Scrip ....
    :D

15. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Do you know whether it's an HD tricaster or an older SD version? Reason I'm asking is that the HD models I've seen have I/O capable of handling +4dBu levels (max. input around +22dBu IIRC) while the old SD model, despite sporting professional looking XLR connectors, had a maximum input level of around 1.5 dBu. That translates to a prosumer I/O (-10 dBv) with a whopping 10-12 dB of headroom vs 18 dB on the HD model). We always carried a Sounddevices field mixer with the limiters set to +10VU and output set to -10 dBv in order to feed the old SD Tricasters, real pieces of junk as far as audio I/O is concerned.

16. DarrellV

I'm pretty sure it looks like this.

[​IMG]

17. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Looks like a newer model / HD unit. You should be good feeding it regular line level at +4 dBu. I'd still use dynamics control at some point in the chain before it hits the input

18. DarrellV

Ok, so it didn't happen on account of the weather scare.... :shock:

The host was gracious enough to re-schedule AND even mentioned having us in for a couple of other functions this summer! :thumb:

Yay! More play dates!

And she mentioned during the conversation with my wife that she may want to use my sound skills for a live play production she's trying to get put back together sometime over the summer. :fingersx:

Once again I have nothing but thanks for the great advice given in here in my 'hour of need' LOL! :applause:

19. StingyCH

StingyCH The Bearded Baron Premium Member

Man I just read now about that..congrats for the gig :D

20. DarrellV

I'm not sure how to post a vid yet, but I'm hearing we will get a dvd copy of the session. That will be cool.

I don't have a youtube account, but maybe I can share it through my google drive....