GODIN!!!!!!! Why no love? NEW official GODIN thread!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by needlespauls, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Sudsy100

Sudsy100 Senior Member

Yup . . . it's a top-notch axe, and I'm loving it all the way!! Like you, I also really like the LP/Tele hybrid design and look.

BTW--does anyone know for certain what the direct drop-in locking tuners for the SDXT are? I did a lot of Googling, and although the mini-Schallers were mentioned many times, the stock tuners on the SDXT don't have a drill screw configuration . . . . just a stabilizer pin setup ala USA Strats and Teles.

S . . . .

2. Michel347

Michel347 Member

I would think that Sperzel locking tuners would fit.

3. Slappy2x

Slappy2x Senior Member

Here's my Godin 12-string Acousticaster. Made in 1991, and comes with L.R. Baggs electronics. Very unique tone and great playability.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Alfonse

Alfonse Junior Member

I love Godin Guitars. I wish they were more well known. I have a Session which is the Godin version of the H/S/S/ Strat. It blows most Am Deluxe Starts out of the water. The Progression, which is their version of the all single coil strat is simply a better guitar than the STD, with more powerful pickups. It is built like a tank with an impeccable finish. I don't get this flat neck thing. My session has the best playing maple fret board neck I own. The Improved Session Plus has the Godin 2 Single Coils pup's you find in the Progression, the same great Godin splittable bucker and the Godin Re-Voicer, which allows you to go from passive to active pickups by pushing a button.

I just bought an Icon 2 conv. I love it! I am really impressed with the P-Rails. I do think i would rather have the all Lollar P-90 Icon 3 with the five way switch.
    Both these Icons are explosive guitars on gain settings. They are really built for hard rock. they also sport ebony fret boards which at this price is unheard of. I'm going to try to get a picture of the Icon in here.

Sorry have a great shot of the Burgundy Sapele top but couldn't figure out how to get it over here!

2 people like this.
  5. RaSTuS26

RaSTuS26 Senior Member

Copy the URL of the pic, click the little yellow icon above the message text box, copy the URL into the pop-up and click OK. If the pic isn't already on the web, host it at a file/photo sharing site first.

EDIT: excuse my manners, welcome to MyLP, there's a great bunch here, hope you enjoy it.

6. entresz

entresz Senior Member

I have a Godin 5th Avenue acoustic that I added a Pete Biltoft Charlie Christian pickup to. Very authentic pre WWII guitar sounds, but more playable then an actual 1930's guitar. Only thing that I think would make it better is larger fretwire - the fretwire on it is so tiny, it's almost mandolin size fret wire. It is decent acoustically too , but it needs quite heavy strings to get optimum tone and volume. They are great value and beautifully made.

7. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Senior Member

I was just in GC on Sat (not that I like the place) and saw a Godin Core P90 hanging on the wall. It was love at first sight. I declined playing it then, but it's all that's on my mind right now. I'm seriouly GASing for it and trying to figure out a way I to come up with the $$ for it. Checked online in many of the big box online retailers and can't find one that carries it. Reverb.com seemed the only place.

8. Michel347

Michel347 Member

I'm sick about this one, unfortunately, I haven't declined playing it...., big mistake, I may have to empty my account :cool:.

I have a Godin Summit CT that have been my number one guitar since the last 3 years.

The neck of the Core P90 reminds me the one I had on my G&L Legacy Special that I had and miss, but man, the TOOONES of that Core P90, and also the Icon Type 3 that I tried ...

I wanted an Hollow or semi Hollow like the 5th Avenue CW Kingpin or Montreal Premiere, but I'm really gassing on the Core P90 now.

On a side note I noticed that Godin are now releasing almost all their new models with 12'' radius instead of 16''.

9. madmusicltd

madmusicltd Senior Member

I have two Godin's, great guitars! Synth access is a lot of fun too as both guitars have the capability. I also bought my PRS back in the day when no one knew what they were all about. Don't be afraid to be different..

ACS SA Limited Edition maple top Nylon & 2006 LGXT
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

I had a 5th AVE in 2009. Nice guitar but it never took me any place. It just was stuck! I tried rocking it and popped the clutch. Would not go, so I traded it and do miss it on rainy days.

11. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

I have always been really impressed with the build quality and playability of Godin guitars - I just could never get used to the looks. Just my opinion, of course.

In general, I think there are some great Canadian built guitars. I honestly don't get how they can sell them for so cheap - Godin, Seagull, and Art & Luthierie all make really nice guitars in North America for essentially Korean prices. Do the wages suck in Canada? I can't figure out how they do it. American made costs much more.

12. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

Yeah most of their range does nothing for me. Although ive long been wanting to try out one of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin... looks right up my alley. Stunning honeyburst finishes.

1 person likes this.
  13. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

[​IMG]

Love my Koa...

14. colchar

colchar Banned

Godin makes all of those brands. They make Godin, Richmond, Art & Lutherie, Norman, Simon & Patrick, LaPatrie, and Seagull guitars.

No wages do not suck here. In fact, I would argue that wages are likely higher here than in the US because we do not have any right to work legislation, generally have higher minimum wage laws, and are more unionized than the US.

Godin being able to make such great quality instruments, entirely in North America, and sell them at such reasonable price points has long been part of my argument that Fender and Gibson should be able to do the same.

4 people like this.