GODIN!!!!!!! Why no love? NEW official GODIN thread!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by needlespauls, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Michel347

Michel347 Member

Our house did burn recently, lost my Gibson LP and G&L Legacy Special, my amp and pedals, while waiting for the money from the insurance, I got this Summit CT.
    This is really my new baby, as soon as I tried this one, I knew this was it.

Unplugged she is singing loud, the neck is one of the most comfortable that I've tried and is very fast, I like that ebony finger board, also the bridge is recessed, and incredibly low, nice feature, it plays effortlessly. I think it is the first time in my life I can say that I can play 3 hours in a row without any pain. I also tried their new Icon series, but I felt they were not comfortable as this one, didn't like the finish on the neck (gloss as opposed to satin), and they were not resonating like the Summit.

The SD '59 at bridge and Alnico 2 pro at neck (a nice choice) with a 5-way switch (position 2 & 4 in coil split) is making it very versatile, plus the High-Definition Revoicer button, that turns the pickups active, well you then have 10 different configurations. It has the beefy sound of an LP, but with a different definition ( I don't know, may be because of that nicely executed bolt-on neck?). The lows are tight, the mids are really nice, and the highs quite snappy. Can do everything amazingly; Metal, Rock, blues, Jazz. Bridge PU in single coil is more Tele than Strat, neck PU in single coil is may be more strat. I like the string through body.

Everything about it is quality, nice wood selection (Honduras Mahogany body and neck, ebony fretboard, nice flamed carved maple top, well here goes your standard LP), good hardware, tusq nut, Schaller strap locks..., the back body contours are well studied and the weight is perfectly balanced.

I don't know what to say more, at their price these Canadian/American made are a steal, they come with a paper having the signature of everyone who touched the guitar during the different steps.

When I'll get my money back, I don't know yet what I'm gonna do...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

upl8tr likes this.
  2. TechJunky

TechJunky Member

I had a Godin Freeway Classic a few years ago. Totally regret selling that one. It was such a great player, and sounded just about perfect. Looked great to boot! I've never gotten on well with traditional Strats, yet I had been wanting that look for a while. Picked up it up at Music-Go-Round for cheap (forget the price, but wasn't much). Said it was used, but was in dead mint condition with all the hang tags and everything still in place! Sadly, I just fell out of playing guitar for a while when I got heavy into bass, and it (along with several other great guitars) got sent out. STUPID!

3. twitch

twitch Senior Member

I used to own a Freeway Floyd. It was a nice guitar. I traded it to a band mate for a laptop. So now he has two Godins. His other Godin is a single cut away model with a cream pick guard and maple board. I dont know what model it is exactly, but theyre both right fine guitars.

4. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

well built!
    and for the price great value!

5. Michel347

Michel347 Member

6. Michel347

Michel347 Member

Godin has some new models coming in, I think I'm gonna be tempted by the Session Plus, here is a picture of the Session Custom, I haven't been able to get a picture of the other one yet:

[​IMG]

The new Session Custom and Session Plus are all made in Canada and both feature Canadian basswood single cutaway bodies, rock maple necks with maple or rosewood fingerboard options. It comes in 25 ½” scale and has the Godin High-Definition Revoicer along with the new Godin Tru-Loc Tremolo system which allows players to adjust their own trem arm placement into a personal Custom Comfort Zone. The Session Custom is equipped with a Godin Neck Humbucker and a new Godin Custom Cajun single-coil pickup in the bridge that is designed to provide that vintage punch & bite. All of which are controlled via a 5-way switch, 1 volume and 1 tone knob. The Session Plus on the other hand is equipped with Godin humbucker in the bridge and 2x Godin GS-2 single-coil pickups with extra large pole pieces in the neck and middle positions. Electronics are controlled via 5-way switch, 1 volume and 1 tone knob along with a special mini toggle switch to split the humbucker.

Also the new Core series:

The new Core series is comprised of three models that are designed to attract gigging guitar rockers. These are all made in Canada, and feature chambered mahogany bodies with maple tops, mahogany set necks, 24 ¾” scale, rosewood fingerboards and wraparound Resomax bridges by Graphtech. As the name implies, these guitars are rock axes to their very “Core.” Models include: the Godin Core P90 with two Seymour Duncan P90 pickups, the Godin Core HB with a pair of hot Godin Nitro Humbuckers, and the Godin Core EMG, loaded with EMG 85 & 81 active humbuckers.

7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

me want, but not enough for GAS

[​IMG]

seriously solid guitars, been a fan for a while....xtsa is a great axe, I borrowed my cousin's for over a year, the H1B1 pup is nice and snarly, sounds very SG like

8. Sudsy100

Sudsy100 Senior Member

Hey, guys . . .

I was gonna post this in the Phaez Thread because a ton of Canucks hang out there, but obviously a Godin Thread is better.

I almost exclusively buy USA guitars, but now and then will go off the map when needed (such as my 12 String Danelctro DC-12). Anyway . . . I've been looking for a reasonably priced axe to dedicate for some open tunings and slide. Doesn't mean it has to be the perfect axe for those, but something half decent that I can use once or twice a night.

I came across a Godin SDXT H/S/H in a local music store today. Red. Gig Bag (no case). Maple fretboard. Excellent intonation. Lower frets will need work at some point, but for now it seems to play fine. Didn't have chance to wind it out, but noodled on some lighter bluesy chords and licks. Sounded pretty darned good to me.

I did as much research as I could, and I think the SDXT is OOP, but not sure. Also, think it has 22 frets (didn't count 'em in the store) and a 25.5 scale.

The guy's asking $295, but I think I might be able to get down to $250-ish. What does the thread think? I know it's a very good axe based on the reviews (although about 60% or so of the owners swap at least the bridge pup out). The resale on them seems to be low (anything from $220 to $300 max with HSC), but I don't mind taking a bit of a hit if you guys give it the thumb-up as a worthwhile axe.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. BTW--it's the same as the pic below, except with a maple fretboard (which I kinda like).

Thanks!

[​IMG]

9. VastHorizon

VastHorizon Senior Member

I had a Godin Radiator modified with Gibson 490R and 498T.
    As much as I tried to love it, something was just not right with how
    the guitar felt. I traded it for a Melody Maker.

[​IMG] IMG_1068-edited by vasthorizon, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1084-edited by vasthorizon, on Flickr

10. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

I used to have that exact guitar, KILLER axe's at the/any price! :thumb:

11. StratGT

StratGT Senior Member

I've had many Godins....here in Canada you can buy one on Kijiji or find any music store with a few used ones, they're cheap up here and they are readily available. When I find a good used Godin Core w/ P90's I'll consider it. They are very good guitars I just never really bonded with them.

1 person likes this.
  12. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

You can get new Godin HSS Strats down here for under $500.

1 person likes this.
  13. pedersenkirk

pedersenkirk Senior Member

I wish Godins didn't have such flat fretboards. Love the looks of almost all of them but I can't play something with such a flat freboard.

14. Sudsy100

Sudsy100 Senior Member

Thanks, guys! Really appreciate the input.

I'm not exactly sure what to think at this point. The obvious answer is to just buy one, play it and find out first-hand. That goes without saying, but I said it anyway ;)

I have a pretty good hunch they're better than your garden variety Epiphone, MIM Fender and the like, but as I said in my earlier post I generally buy the best quality I can due to the inevitable lessons learned from trial & error. I mean . . . why would I buy a MIM Strat or a Epi SG just to save $$'s when I can spend $900 or so for a used USA SG or $750 or so for an American Standard Strat that are excellent axes. That's not to say there's no clunkers or poor quality control in the Gibby and Fender line-up, but in general you get what you pay for.

With the SDXT, I keep thinking "what's the catch", and that's human nature IMHO. If they were that good everyone would be playing them. OTOH, they could be hidden gems that just don't get a lot of hype and high profile. The reviews are generally very good (never out-and-out bad), but they kind of echo exactly what people here have said. Ranging from "decent guitars, but never really liked it as much as my [X] guitar" to "can't beat it for the price" to "great guitars - period".

I guess what I'm trying to figure out in my own mind is why the lower price, and at what compromise (if any)? Almost universally, with lower-priced guitars there's some tangible quality differences (MIC, MIA, crappier electronics, crappier wood, less than stellar pickups, poor tuners, etc). But, if Godin can make a top quality instrument in North America for $500 or so, I'm more than willing to believe it. It's not that I need convincing at all . . . it just that at first blush it does seem to fall into the "too good to be true" category. No hidden agenda at all . . . it's just that I've never really come across an axe that cost $500 new (if that's what the SDXT's originally sold for) that were anything more than average knock-offs, let alone made in North America. To be fair, I'm 100% certain the SDXT is light years better than the recent budget line of stripped-down made in the USA Gibbys. I tried a budget Melody Maker a while back, and . . . yikes!

BTW--here are the specs for the SDXT from the Godin site and the manual (it's not listed as a current model, so I hafta assume it's a legacy page)

Rock Maple neck
    Rosewood or Maple Fingerboard
    12" fingerboard radius
    25 1/2" Scale
    Frets: Medium Nickel
    Top nut: Tusq by Graphtech
    1 11/16" nut width
    Tuners: Godin high ratio sealed tuners
    Contoured Silverleaf Maple body ('Leaf Top' model features a highly figured veneer to the top)
    Godin-Design pickups (GHB1 - bridge, GHS1 - middle, GHN1 - neck)
    String Gauge: Godin Nickel electric strings 9-46
    Floating Trem
    5-Way, Volume & Tone

I'm not at all trying to be contrary, but I guess the things I don't know before I buy are:

1. What wood is the body made of (I think it's poplar, but not 100% certain)?
    2. Are the pickups junk or half decent? How do they hold up at stage volume? (pickups are the most common complaint from what I've researched, but the ones in the SDXT I played sounded pretty darned good at first try . . . albeit at low volume in the store).
    3. Are the tuners any good at all, or will I be replacing them?

I don't mind at all swapping pickups . . . I have enough around. And a set of Grovers are cheap enough online. If the actual axe is a good piece with a good neck, body and hardware, I'm more than willing to take the plunge.

S . . .

15. Sudsy100

Sudsy100 Senior Member

Funny . . . that's one thing I really liked about the SDXT. I'm not generally a big fan of super-flat fretboards either, but for some reason it had a great feel. Played like butter without being loosey-goosey, and the intonation was almost perfect. Hmmmm . . . I'm scratchin' my head about this baby big-time. It's different enough from my other axes that it would be a nice change, and it seems to be a legitimately good guitar. Like I said in the message I just posted, I'm not sure what the body's made of, if the tuners are any good, or how the pickups sound at stage volume, but other than that . . .

S . . .

16. Michel347

Michel347 Member

I still own it, now since 18th months, I haven't touch anything on it, it became my number one, (well I don't own any other one now, lol).

17. Michel347

Michel347 Member

The body of these were made with Silverleaf Maple at the center block and Poplar on each side (wings).

The tuners are not locking but they are fine, I haven't changed them on my Summit CT and it's always staying in tune.

Nobody really knows if the PUs are made by SD or not, the GHB1 in these years were in between a SD CC and C5 tone wise, and hot at around 14K. The GHN1 is around 9k. I don't know about the single coil.

18. Sudsy100

Sudsy100 Senior Member

Thanks, Michael . . . the info and feedback are greatly appreciated (as always when people in the Forums take the time to help out!).

I'm gonna take the plunge on the SDXT today. I really did like the way it played, felt it was a very good quality axe, and despite the fact my questions may have come off as a bit "doubters", I was only trying to get all the info I could.

As to the purposes I want to use it for (slide and open tunings), I think it'll be excellent. I'm planning on throwing a shim in back to make the bridge immovable and flush to the body. With the single coil in the middle, modal "airy" open tunings (aka The Rain Song) should sound suitably Strat-like, and the 'buckers will do the trick for slide with a little roll-off of the tone when using the bridge and neck pup.

BTW--that's a pretty hot bridge pickup, which is very cool. My Wolfgang is the hottest I have, and the bridge on that one comes in at about 12K to 13K (oddly, the neck pup in the Wolf is 14K!). Go figure, but whatever the specs, it obviously works and has mojo for days.

Cheers . . . and thanks again!

S . . .

19. Sudsy100

Sudsy100 Senior Member

Snagged the SDXT today. Put it through the paces again, even with the Gsusp4 modal tuning Pagey uses for the Rain Song (and without shimming the block of the trem rear it tuned up virtually perfect, which was a super pleasant surprise). I think it's gonna be a very cool axe to have as an option, and the H/S/H config gives lots of choices for good blues open tuning sounds, as well as just playing the baby in standard. IMHO, it's a really nice looking axe. Gonna look great strapped on at the next gig! Thanks for everyone's help.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Michel347

Michel347 Member

You were right, it looks real fine with a maple neck. Some don't like this shape, like in between a Tele and LP, but for me they are really nice.

Sure you'll have fun with it.

[​IMG]