Gluing in neck before grain filling?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by waygorked, Sep 21, 2017.

1. waygorked

waygorked Senior Member

I'm about to embark on my latest project, a PGK 59 LP kit. Is there any point in setting the neck before grain filling the neck and body? It seems far more convenient to do them separately, but that also involves having a bit of grain fill extend onto the heel and into the joint to make it look seamless. Does that make any difference or pose any problems?

2. Lokkochaa

Lokkochaa Member

I personally do all the woodworking aspects where possible before finishing steps. So is get the guitar there in the "white" before grain filling and finishing.

waygorked likes this.
  3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

There's the rub. Also grain filling is done just before the finishing process. It is part of the delicate and detail oriented "prep" phase for finishing.
    I wouldn't want to handle grain filled parts by then having to glue them together, where clean up from glue squeeze out is involved.
    There's a reason why things are done in a traditional sequence.

waygorked and pshupe like this.
  4. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

SOP - standard operating procedure would be to set the neck way before grain filling. As a rule a lot of people set the neck before routing the pup routes, which may slightly change after glue up of the neck. The string path has to follow the neck, the pups are over the string path. The tailpiece and bridge also follow the string path. There is a little play in the PUP routes so you can move pup and ring a bit, so that is not that critical but the others IMO are very critical.

Because it's a kit you are relying on the supplier to have it already setup so the pup routes, tailpiece, and bridge are in the correct place but you still want to glue up first then do final sanding and make sure the surface is perfect, then grainfill, and finish. Also the traditional grainfill is very mess so you want to apply and then seal quickly with a sealer coat of finish so you do not get it all over the place. Good luck.

Cheers Peter.

waygorked likes this.
  5. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

Add - you are more likely to mark the neck/body if you glue them together after the grainfill. Any marks will be under your sealer coat - which goes against great prep!

waygorked likes this.
  6. waygorked

waygorked Senior Member

Sage advice everyone, as always.

Cheers!

7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Its funny.....but a recent build thread had a guy completely finishing a PGK kit before the neck gluing-in was done - and on the advice of Precision as the best thing for a beginner:eek2:

I couldn't think of a worse thing to do for someone who is most likely not well skilled with any of the tasks involving finish.