Glass Slide vs Metal Slide

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by dylan.rocks.all.nite.long, Jul 17, 2010.

1. dylan.rocks.all.nite.long

dylan.rocks.all.nite.long Senior Member

I recently purchased a Glass Dunlop slide, and have been working on some songs that use a slide, after youtubing the songs to see live performances/covers/lessons/etc, I found that almost all of them are using a metal slide.

Is there a tonal difference or a reason they use a metal one compared to a glass slide?

2. River

River Senior Member

There's a big tonal difference, especially between glass and brass. Compare your glass slide to something handy, like a wrench socket or a table knife.

3. mudfinger

mudfinger Thanks for the memories! V.I.P. Member

Very different tonality. I really, really, really prefer glass to any of the metal slides I've played. I think alotta guys prefer the sound of metal; it's way more rockin', for lack of a better term. And, usually the metal slides are smaller and thinner, so they're a bit easier for some folks to wield. :thumb:

4. Lampens

Lampens Senior Member

Glass sounds smoother. I prefer glass. I actually think the metal ones are heavier. Thinner indeed but I find em not handier because of the weight.

So What likes this.
  5. Toris93

Toris93 Senior Member

if you are a beginner i would suggest glass, its lighter and i find alot easier to play than metal ones. the dunlop blues bottle is great, i keep mine on the ring finger above the knuckle, the Derek Trucks/Duane Allman way.

6. ext1jdh

ext1jdh Senior Member

I prefer glass but it needs to have a lot of mass to it. If it doesnt have mass it just sounds too thin to me.

7. zontar

zontar Senior Member

Glass slides sound great, metal slides sound great--it comes down to personal preference, and there's no rule saying you can't use both.

Personally I use a brass slide for two reasons
    1-I would break glass slides all the time, so the cost would add up.
    2-As far as metal slides I have a chrome slide as well, but I prefer the sound and feel of the brass slide.

8. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

I've only just started learning slide and am using glass.

9. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

i use brass for resonator slide, glass for acoustic slide and either glass or ceramic for electric slide. all of them make different sounds on each guitar.

10. BluesHowler

BluesHowler Senior Member

I use glass for electric and acoustic guitars. To me it just sounds better than any metal slide I've used. I also play a lap steel and use a metal bar on it so my suggestion is to go figure out which sound you like on your guitar.

11. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

Using slide on middle finger and am "trying" to use a pic/finger combo.

However at the moment I am mainly just concentraing on pic alone and trying to get a feel for the slide.

I am enjoying it very much thus far. :thumb:

12. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

I should also note that I went with using the slide on my middle finger for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it is the most comfortable finger for me.

I can still use my index and ring finger to fret notes.

I find it easiest to mute the strings behind the slide with my index.

13. Drew224

Drew224 "Obvious BS Artist" V.I.P. Member

i've got a metal slide because page used one. i think he used chrome and brass. i've already rusted out my metal slide, and i can't play slide for my life.

14. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Slide is hard!! I love a good slide track. Do the glass ones break easily? Meaning if u were to drop id from say waist height, ur needing a new slide?

15. QuicksilverSS

QuicksilverSS Senior Member

I have broken 2 glass slides on a hardwood floor. I want a metal one just because of tonal differences. I like to use it on my middle finger,but i need more practice with my technic.:rolleyes:

16. Lampens

Lampens Senior Member

On an open tuned guitar you can get a good slide tune very easily. If you want to play smooth you really got to learn the right hand dampening thing. That's the hardest part to master.

17. River

River Senior Member

You been playing that long, or do you live in a swamp?

18. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

Playing slide makes him sweat a lot. :laugh2:

19. california1967

california1967 Senior Member

It's all personal preference.

I pretty much use glass for when I want a "clean" type of slide sound - think of the intro to "Free Bird" by Skynyrd.[Look at video around 45sec]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-_8xivRTsY]YouTube - Lynyrd Skynyrd - FreeBird [Live][/ame]

I use a metal when I want something with some grit - think of "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VsoxT_FUY]YouTube - GEORGE THOROGOOD "Bad To The Bone"[/ame]

20. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Well, i actually got a steel lap slide!? I really like it! Next ill grab a glass;) Also picked up a set of flatwound strings, big difference:wow: