Gibson's Rosewood Has Been a Disaster

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Les Paul Newb, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Macronaut

Macronaut Silver Supporter

Before and after some Fret Doctor.

IMG_0357.JPG IMG_0364.JPG

ThirdStone and George Hanson like this.
  2. drkato

drkato Double Platinum Supporter

You're both right.

However I think Fender is still running the all rosewood neck American Standard Stratocaster as well.

3. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

I am a picky Mo Fo' when it comes to Fret boards....its the soul.....and fret doctor is the prayer.....

4. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I use the same stuff. Dunlop 65. Some boards respond better than others, of course, but the method I described above seems to always net me the best results.

5. afireinside

afireinside Senior Member

I was taught to use bore oil for woodwind instruments

ToneasaurusRex likes this.
  6. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

This is my go-to. Cheap, can find it at any Mom & Pop music shop (why not support local right?) and a bottle last forever. I've had ti work wonders on guitars that showed up looking almost gray and became a nice warm, dark brown color.

I follow the process mentioned earlier for lemon oil. I apply a bit with my fingers to get it all over the fretbaord, right up against the frets, etc. Let it sit a few minutes, then clean it off with an old t-shirt.

ToneasaurusRex likes this.
  7. Sct13

Fret Dr. is bore oil....

When I bought my Fender bass, I nearly didn't buy it...the fret board was so dryish reddish grayish....I put fret Dr. on it and it really does look pretty amazing....

Axis39 likes this.
  8. Macronaut

Macronaut Silver Supporter

I "was" using Dunlop 65 up until I tried Fret Doctor. Now I have this big bottle of D-65 that I don't think I will ever use again. And the ones I've used the D-65 will not take on the FD because of the oil. I've had much better results with FD.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  9. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

what is this obsession with dark fingerboards???

rogue3 and Pappy58 like this.
  10. ToneasaurusRex

ToneasaurusRex Senior Member

Another bore oil user here! Cheap, available, and works great.

11. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

I dunno that mine is an obsession... but more an appeal. I like the way a vintage guitar looks more than a new guitar. I like the feel too. Smoother, more worn in feeling.

If you look at pics of older guitars, the rosewood boards tend to be darker. I’m not so sure that’s what they looked like when they were new... But, after years of sweat, smoke and grime, they get burnished, shiny and dark.

12. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Ya know lemon oil aint lemon oil....right? Its scented, thinned, mineral oil.

13. Sct13

They just look nicer darker.....Feel better smoother, ...nice rosewood is nice rosewood ....it has been for centuries...which is why its disappearing....

14. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

For me it's just purely an aesthetic preference. That said, I also like them when they show a bit of red in the rosewood. For instance, the board on my Iced Tea Trad the is fairly dark (just naturally so), but it also has this subtle red to it in certain areas that compliments the Iced Tea finish very nicely. But yeah, it's really just about preferring how a darker board looks. And don't even get me started on ebony... I LOVE how ebony looks! :D

Sct13 likes this.
  15. Lemonburst R8

Lemonburst R8 Junior Member

Out of the worlds supply of Ebony and Rosewood the Japanese buy the most so they get first pick, we're way down the line guys like PRS have stockpiled the stuff for years so they have great stock. Pony up and buy a private stock instrument and pick your fretboard material. We (US) manufacturers get to pick from something like maybe 10 or 15 % of total world stock at the most. If your buying a 10k guitar from Gibson or PRS your gonna get decent quality fingerboard material if your buying a 500 dollar guitar , not so much. The manufacturers save the best for premium guitars. That's why the guys that sort, select materials job is so important I dont think the color has much to do with sound or feel. You can buy black fretboard dye (watch out it stains MOP, pearl etc) PRS used it on cheaper guitars but got upset when the maker divulged their use of the product. The world is running out of quality raw materials as a result of overconsumption. What else is new. We have killed the supply of these materials in just 50 years. That's a grain of sand in time of how long the planet has been here. When you go to bed at night hold your Brazillian rosewood fretboarded guitars close. They are truly wonders to behold of an era long gone. Peace out.

Gem23 likes this.
  16. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

This is about ebony specifically, but rosewood is getting to be in a similar situation.

Les Paul Newb and Sixstring63 like this.
  17. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

The real problem is the asian's still insist on making furniture from solid rosewood and ebony, and they ignore all the cites treaties while they are doing it! These materials are still being harvested and sold en masse, just now on the black market.

Les Paul Newb likes this.
  18. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

This^^^

Not this^^^

cooljuk and bungle like this.
  19. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Only Gibson fretboard I have, I'm not overly fond of, is my Explorer. That is a very light colored rosewood. However, doesn't feel any different. Just lighter color.

Unfortunately, my friend changed the strings before I came in to pick it up, so the board didn't get oiled. And I don't change strings, until they break. So... I have to wait. :laugh2::facepalm:

20. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

Agreed.A brown Rosewood board on a LesPaul Cherry Sunburst is a classic look, and a thing of beauty, imo.