Gibson's Rosewood Has Been a Disaster

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Les Paul Newb, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Mark1406

Mark1406 Senior Member

A brief search tells me Convention of International Trade of Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna (CITES) controls the importation of woods, and not Obama, it's also international not specific to America. Being in the industry VGZ will have a stack of information available to enlighten all. (Apologies if I seem harsh, but if someone puts forward a strong point of view that they believe is factual then they should provide proof, that isn't asking too much.)

The simple fact is America is one of many countries experiencing issues with the availability of good wood, Brazilian rosewood is very rare. Look at the issues Taylor had with Ebony, Gibson use Richlite instead of ebony on their Flying V guitars.

https://reverb.com/au/news/How-Guitar-Construction-Will-Change-in-the-Coming-Years

The real fix is for guitar manufacturers to grow their own wood and manage its production, but until (if ever) that happens you'll have to put up with what you get or buy a Steinberger.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    medic24, martin H, 73Fender and 2 others like this.
  2. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Member

I'm guessing you play country music.

3. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

I don' t think this is an issue, clean the fretboard and put some lemon oïl.

When it is done please take a picture

Thanks

4. tokairic

tokairic Junior Member

You can't beat good ebony.

dsmcl77 and Les Paul Newb like this.
  5. wildstage98

wildstage98 Senior Member

similar to others' comments here, there's nothing wrong with the fretboard. just needs a good cleaning, that's all. it'll look incredible after.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  6. scottatgc

scottatgc Member

they also let any stymie off the street come in a play it. I always buy a factory sealed guitar, and never get anything from GC because they are used before you buy them.

mudface likes this.
  7. JoeBguitar

JoeBguitar Senior Member

I'm pretty certain that's some sort of buffing compound in the pores of the rosewood. My J-45 looked similar when new and one of the features of newer Gibson's is a fretboard that "oiled and buffed."

8. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Not necessarily true. Both my '17s and my '18 (which I personally pulled out), have been brand spanking new, fresh out of the box, from GC.

I agree, I think most of their stuff, should qualify as at least Scratch and Debt, if you buy it off the wall. However, I've forged friendships over the years... so I get some really killer deals, on not only "new," guitars, but used as well. Pretty much everything I buy.

I've actually had better success with the stuff, I bought off the wall. I've had a chance to play it, look it over, bring up any nitpicking issues I might have. Or get them to throw things in.

The first guitar I ordered, got brand new in a box (a Deal of the Day)... I unpacked that one myself, and it had separated from the fretboard, from the 1st to 5th fret. You could pass a razor blade between the gap.

Plus, you can tell them to check stock in back, or order one.

1all's Pub likes this.
  9. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

So you're saying you can't buy a USA Fender with a rosewood board? No one talked about specific models but the overall line up. Again the Mexican line is not using rosewood anymore on the lower price offerings but you can absolutely buy a USA made fender with RW which is what my statement was

10. jbat

jbat Member

Nice axes.

ryanmichael95 likes this.
  11. GermHerm

GermHerm Junior Member

Agree with some others. Not a big issue. Just dryed out wood. Lemon oil or the like a little buffing. That's it!

12. zakk_attack

zakk_attack Senior Member

Bought a 2017 Explorer in November 2016. Payed 1200€ new (1400USD), worth maybe a little more than half the price:

- Rolled fretboard edges:
    Awesome, i like that feature! Although it's not like Fender's one, it's comfortable. But it has to be made on both edges, not only on the bass side. Mine is made really well on the bass side, but the treble one shows a little-to-none rolling. Is that a joke?

- Tuners:
    They weren't in line, some degrees falling down.
    The result was that the "beans" were closer to each other, and stringing the guitar with a winder made it hit the bean next to the winder.

- Nut:
    Have no certainty, but I suspect that the slots were cut too deeply.

- Overall finish:
    Too glossy, and thickier. Call me "pain in the neck", but it feels sticky and plastic-like.
    Plus, little air bubbles showed up where the frets meet the fretboard, like a finish that didn't join perfectly the wood. And the guitar "sweats" in the sun! 2 minutes under the sun (for example, while playing outside) make a layer of moisture come up through the finish.
    Ah! They rolled the "fretboard's corner" between the neck pu and the neck, on the higher E string side, instead of the fretboard's edge.

Maybe it's just mine, a lemon in the basket...but it's the first (and the last) time I buy I new guitar online, especially a Gibson.

13. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I've had some boards recently (the last two 2017s I bought) that were pretty light when I first bought them and that I thought were just naturally going to be always lighter... but after lemon oiling darkened up amazingly well.

I've learned that the key to good lemon oiling is not to wipe it off too fast. What I do is, clean the board well with a damp cloth before oiling, then apply the lemon oil (rather liberally) and then let it sit for 20-30 minutes to really soak into the wood. That (I've found) is the key... letting it sit and soak. If I become impatient and wipe it off too soon the wood doesn't' absorb the oil deeply and doesn't darken up nearly as much. Anyway, this method seems to work well for me. Here's an example of the results.
    [​IMG]

ThirdStone and rdbear7d like this.
  14. TradPro2

TradPro2 Senior Member

well if the fret board is so terrible why don't you just send the guitar back for a full refund?

and since Gibson's quality control is so terrible anyone would be a fool to buy a Gibson guitar

GibsonKramer likes this.
  15. romansonic55

romansonic55 Junior Member

Hi Fellahs, I have the same prob. exactly,
    but not in the Gibson league, I got an epiphone LP spec.2 v.burst over a year ago,
    from a big retailer/warehouse (let's call 'em
    Amazon)- it arrived double boxed & with protective struts inside plus a big bag of
    "snail eggs" (silica gel) sfsgood, when I pulled it out of the box I couldn't believe it,
    all the strings were covered in rust, & corrosion plus the fb was covered top to bottom in mould ,yes mould/mold I had to scrape it off just to see the fb, I thought at the time that this was the culprit, making it look just the same as the guy above's fb
    pitted with slits, & very porous looking, to me
    the wood looks diseased, Q.how long does
    a guitar have to be in a (DBL.box) to end up
    like that, I'm guessing months if not a cpl
    of years in storage/back stock. cheers guys
    Roman.

16. zakk_attack

zakk_attack Senior Member

Because I noticed the single issues while playing it, after some time spent with it...and not when I received it.
    As for the finish, I emailed the european service - no warranty on this kind of issues, no refinish. They offered me a "polish treatment", but it wasn't clearly a polishing issue (the guitar was gloss and shiny)

17. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

The fretboard on the guitar in the OP looks like the on on my Epi LP GT. Iv'e had that guitar for about 8 years, and haven't been able to get the light colored stuff out of the wide open grain. To me, it seems that the problem is that the grain is TOO wide and open. Bought a Michael Kelly telecaster about a year ago with a rosewood board -- a guitar in the same price range. the rosewood board is so tightly grained and dark that it looks and feels like ebony. So somebody somewhere IS getting tight grain, dark rosewood.

alnico59 likes this.
  18. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

Jesus, that's lemon oil only? I'm doing something wrong. I've been using Dunlop 65 very liberally with a 20 min wait before buffing, and I swear, if anything it LIGHTENS the damn board!

19. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

Are you talking to me? If so, I didn't buy it, so I can't return it.

Gibson's QC hasnt been great or terrible. I'd put it in the catagory of inconsistent. Their rosewood In the last 2 years has been downright ugly. Splintery, low quality.

But that's not huge news, rosewood, ebony, mahogany have all been on the decline in terms of quality. It's finite. The good stuff goes first. Asian guitar manufacturers are still accessing high quality stuff at good prices. They don't have the same oversight. Here the government will raid your shit. I'm not taking a political stance, that's just the way it is.

20. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

And my Epi LP GT with a fretboard that looks like the one in the OP plays just fine. It just doesn't look that good.