Gibson's Rosewood Has Been a Disaster

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Les Paul Newb, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

The tooling marks are much more concerning than the wax, in my eyes.

ToneasaurusRex and PierM like this.
  2. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

If you get out an eyeloup youll see tooling marks on most Gibbys fretboards.

ecosse and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  3. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I saw the exact same thing on two 2017 GTs at on of my local GCs. It's wax or polishing compound or something similar. It'll clean up easily enough with a damp cloth and some lemon oil.

The real issue isn't so much the rosewood itself, but the lame QC that didn't clean up the mess at final inspection.

As for the binding and nibs, I gotta be honest I am not a fan of the rolled binding they instituted in 2017. Maybe if they were good at doing it, but clearly they are not. I've seen soooo much variation on the rolled binding on various 2017 models... sometimes they barely roll it, sometimes they roll it so thin there's barely any binding left, and most times the bass side and treble side binding are not even close to evenly done (ie, one side gets way more rolled and/or binding removed than the other). Not diggin' it! Give me the regular unrolled binding every time.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  4. Leña_Costoso

I tend to think that its not Gibson's issue, but GC's, or rather, the unbridled actions of their courteous, superior, and "aiming to please the customer" employees. <--- sarcasm

5. PierM

PierM Premium Member

So GC does receive perfectly looking fretboards and they make a mess out of them with wax and crap and filer marks.. And I bet that they do that just to Gibson USA guitars. LOL.

paruwi likes this.
  6. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Must be GC fault! :rofl:

7. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Member

No, it's just a guitar left alone for a considerable amount of time without being cared for, both by gibson and CG
    The fretboard's condition is most likely reversable though.

8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I'm seeing them without any assistance, on a computer monitor. That is not kosher.

ToneasaurusRex likes this.
  9. PierM

PierM Premium Member

I'm not sure what you mean. What should happen to a fretboard after a "considerable amount of time without being cared of"??

This is a +20 years old 120€ Eko guitar. Honestly, never spent a second to take care of it since it's totally POS...but fretboard it's looking way better than OP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Les Paul Newb likes this.
  10. Leña_Costoso

Not the tool marks, but the wax/polish. I understand their attitude, even if I dont agree with it. They have an expensive wall of guitars. Who wants to try a grungy finger marked guitar, maybe one with leftovers of the greasy mess from the sandwhich the guy ate right before he popped into GC at lunch time to "try stuff out". Their guitars are amazingly free of blemish considering the abuse they get from Joe Public.

I recall seeing those marks on the SG fadeds, ES-333's of my own, and yah, Gibson does a crap-o-la job of it. Remember the righteous indignation of Henry J, when he went out into the factor and started busted up guitars on the floor in a show of "new Sheriff in town" force. "These are not Gibson's, we don't make 2nds, we make perfect guitars" or something to that effect. All just BS.

My own take, Gibson - read that Henry - has gotten too arrogant. He thinks his poo don't stink. Fender... not far behind Gibson in the "I wanna go broke" race, has gotten way to big like the 800 go-rilla at the coctail party. They need to totally rethink their marketing. But I digress.

11. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Member

I wouldn't call the Eko POS, my 3 rosewood guitars have different patterns some are tighter some are grainy.
    But this is how mother nature works.

My latest guitar had a dry board, kind of similar to the one shown in the original post (not nearly as bad though)
    after some cleaning and half year later, she looks fine. I don't have a before - after pic, otherwise I would post it.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  12. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Other stupid stuff like giving away a historic case and COA?:io:

Do they still turn a profit? :dunno:

PermissionToLand, Bemis and mudface like this.
  13. TradPro2

TradPro2 Senior Member

Two thoughts come to mind

1) Considering that Henry bought Gibson for a measly five million dollars many years and annual profits ago, it is extremely unlikely that generations of his descendants will ever have to get a job, hence those who post hopefully of Gibson's simply awful quality and seemingly root against its profitability have, well, long ago been defeated.

2) Given some of this thread's posts speculating that Guitar Center employees are directed by store management to actually take the strings off new Gibson guitar in order to then wax the fretboards and then restring all so that later on some vagrant shredder showing up with grimy hands can have the evidence quickly removed by a wipe, really?

PermissionToLand and alnico59 like this.
  14. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

I’ve seen worse than that look pretty damn phenomenal once oiled. My 2014 Standard looked almost orange when I opened the case, and this is what it looked like when I sold it.

[​IMG]

PermissionToLand and 1all's Pub like this.
  15. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Here's some pics of mine.

Before and after string change, and Lem Oil, which honestly, didn't make much of a difference. The strings made a HUGE difference, though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note that these are taken, sunny day, direct sunlight.

After...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vastly different light. This was taken under LED lights. You can see a bit of the polishing compound, in the last pic.

16. lakeburst

lakeburst Senior Member

17. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Lol the RW board on my 479$ junior is flawless.

yamariv, Bobby Mahogany and Axis39 like this.
  18. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

When I bought my 2016 Traditional, we all were talking about how great the rosewood looked on that model that whole year. Also, I cannot believe how well mine plays compared to everything else I have. That, to me, looks like something that happened after it left Gibson. Also, notice how thick the rosewood is on these Gibson's? My PRS is half that thick.

Good thing about GC is the 30 day return. :) :)

19. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

As were the 3 RW boards on my 2015s.

That's one of the things that were noticeable in 2015 price hike. The RW was good. I just can't wait to refret it. The stock frets are fine, but I prefer them taller. Considering the frets go over the binding on 2015s & HPs, it shouldn't be that expensive.

20. wolflen

wolflen Junior Member

no..the new American Elite models now have ebony boards..no longer made with rosewood..due to environ concerns and EPA law suites