Gibson's Rosewood Has Been a Disaster

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Les Paul Newb, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

I know CITES is making it difficult, but are other American manufacturers having this problem?

I played a 2016 trad recently with an abhorrent FB. I figured "well, they can't all be winners".

This morning I went to GC with GTF (Gold Top Fever), and played a 2017 Classic gold top. First, let me say, the fit & finish were remarkable. Damn near flawless. Couldn't feel any binding seams, great matching on the back, CLEAN guitar.

But the FB was downright awful! Had filler (I'm guessing filler) everywhere, nibs were all messed up. Looked like splintered crap. What gives here?

IMG_9218.JPG
    IMG_9222.JPG IMG_9220.JPG

Felix79, Jer, Sct13 and 2 others like this.
  2. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

that looks atrocious, not even acceptable for a sub $500 guitar and the gibson is significantly more. I think even scraping and oiling this board would only help a bit.

Felix79, Moby Dick and Les Paul Newb like this.
  3. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

4. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

That ain't filler. I'd bet dollars to donuts that its wax. Some doofus/employeedroid sprayed things down, and wiped it in, and what you're seeing is wax in the pores and grain.

I've seen that before.

Filler, if used, would be hard and dark, almost undetectable, and not look like that at all.

Good news - you're basic naptha and fret board oil du-jour will correct it. I kind of like pure linseed oil thinned with citrus solvent, used very sparingly.

5. PierM

PierM Premium Member

That garbage around the frets and those pores....:iough:

6. vetteman

vetteman Junior Member

Might well be polishing compound. I'm sure somebody on MLP has a surefire way of removing it.

cooljuk likes this.
  7. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

"Gold Top Fever" is rampant around these parts :laugh2: I'm fighting it myself :run:

I wonder what gives with the fretboard??

8. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Fender stated they would drop rosewood from their US line, so probably.

9. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

I've sent this before - looks like wax or polish in the pores of the wood. Naphtha and a toothbrush will clean it up, followed by some lemon oil.

10. Les Paul Newb

Oh wow. I did not know that.

11. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

That's got nothing to do with the quality of the rosewood. It's got everything to do with quality of workmanship. Rosewood has pores. That's buffing or polishing compound in the pores and sloppy tooling marks that weren't cleaned up alongside the frets and lack of attention to detail around the nibs.

ThirdStone, Jer, Freddy G and 3 others like this.
  12. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Member

It's dry and not cared after. After all it sits in a store for around a year, and who knows how much time it spent in storage.
    Nothing that cannot be fixed with fretboard conditioner.
    I use both Gibson Luthier's choice and F-One Oil.

PermissionToLand and lakeburst like this.
  13. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

I’m not thrilled with my board. That’s why I’m paying a local luthier to put on a nice black glassy Brazilian board on for me.

And, a new 6x6 nylon nut. Possibly DJ or retrospec inlays. Picking out the board myself from a local exotic woods store. They have some beautiful wood there. For all kinds of stuff. Tons of musical instruments woods.

I’m still contemplating putting on aged grovers. Wizz pickups should be here next week! Can’t wait!

Les Paul Newb likes this.
  14. Les Paul Newb

Ok, well I hope it's a fixable issue and not bad wood. That's good. I think someone tried to clean it. Some nibs are messed up so maybe someone was lazy with a razor.

Considering both terrible FBs were at the same GC, maybe it's some dumbass messing them up.

Strobe likes this.
  15. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Yup,...GC has bad habits of doing stupid shit and this looks like a victim of just that. Waxing guitars makes it easier to wipe off finger prints and sloppy application can get the crap on the fret board. Using any proper guitar polish would cut into GCs profits.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  16. ryanmichael95

ryanmichael95 Senior Member

A little Fret Dr., and a little razor blade scraping and I think that board will be like these. 2016, 2013 respectively.

IMG_1410.JPG

17. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

Yeah, the board's just dirty and dry. I'd give it a decent cleaning, then a little spritz for bore oil and probably be happy all day long.

My three LP's (a '13 and 2 '15s) all have had great looking fretboards. My two '15s came straight out of the original box from Gibson. They looked great, no buffing compound, etc. Of course, neither is as dark, rich and oily as my old SG, but it's almost 50 years old now. It's been oiled a bunch of times over those years... and absorbed a ton of finger oil and funk as well!

PermissionToLand likes this.
  18. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Yeah -- Gibson's rosewood treatment is one of the great mysteries of life. It is consistently underworked and dry. You can condition it to gain a better look and, to some extent, feel, but insufficient fine sanding before fretting is not something you can really fix after the frets are in. Gibson has even started advertising better fretboard treatment as an added feature of some upcharged models. I have no idea what their freaking problem is, but it's a disgrace to consistently produce these crappy fretboard surfaces when it is easy -- just takes elbow grease -- to make 'em smooth... even with the cheapest rosewood.

Jer likes this.
  19. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

That's wax. A custom builder and luthier put some on my SG's neck. Looked crappy, but played sooooo smooth. It wore away after a few weeks. No biggie.

20. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

They're dropping it from the Mexican line not the USA line up