Gibson won't make me a lefty Robot. Took matters into my own hands

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by atheos, Feb 19, 2010.

1. atheos

atheos Senior Member

I've wanted a LP Robot since they were announced, but I've gotta lefty dilemma. I contacted Gibson to get some technical information in regards to a modification, but I got this reply
    "Thank you for contacting Gibson. The nature of the Robot system would not make this possible and the attempt would likely render the Robot inoperable."
    :shock:
    A software modification is all that would be needed, but I don't have that option. I had to make a hardware modification to overcome a software challenge. Two things had to be done: 1. simply flip the bridge, and fortunately there is plenty of slack in the strip that attaches to the bottom. 2. rewire the motors so that the controller operates the "lefty" position. Simple concept, but it was a pain in the arse to wire.

Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

babatube, diceman, Last and 2 others like this.
  2. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Ferro Picta Carota

You should email them back that it worked and they should pull their heads out.

3. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Don't do that, they'll sue you for violation of the end-user licensing agreement! :laugh2:

4. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

good job

5. Jessenoah

Jessenoah Senior Member

that is pretty impressive, but why dont you put the robot "guts" into a left handed les paul?

Dansak likes this.
  6. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Senior Member

Smart. :thumb:

Gotta say, though, that jack plug doesn't look to be in a very comfortable position.

7. expo

expo Senior Member

He changed the strings....Every robot tuner has his specific string...you can not change the sides in a 3-3 tuner setup. thats the problem, if I understand it correctly. :D
    Otherwise it would try to tune the low E string to high E .:shock:

Doesn´t matter if its a left handed or a reversed guitar.

8. 6stringer

6stringer Senior Member

Good job man! Now if you could just overcome the issue of upper fret access.

9. floyd84

floyd84 V.I.P. Member

Not to mention that the wiring runs under the fretboard

10. Big_dawg

Big_dawg Senior Member

how on earth are you going to play that..???

As a lefty I come to the conclusion that if the company dont make it they dont want me to use it...

11. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

That must play like buttah, especially on the upper frets. :laugh2:

12. maltomario

maltomario Member

Wiring does not run under fretboard. Strings carry the power and control signals to the tuners.

13. atheos

atheos Senior Member

Thanks, that was my original plan and intention. I wanted to first have a proof of concept, which I have now. I'll rewire the tuners with some flat wire this weekend, and add some epoxy on top of my connections for durability. I just had to make sure this actually "would" work before transplanting the robot guts onto one of my lefties.
    Although I was going to resell this robot as a studio, It's growing on me. I might just leave well enough alone!:laugh2:

14. atheos

atheos Senior Member

I did more than change the strings, I tricked the controller by reversing the bridge that contains the sensors that determine string pitch. I then wired the tuners so that controller would operate the tuners counterpart. This is why there are 4 wires that go between each tuner. (4 wires E to E, 4 wires B to A, 4 wires G to D)
    I put together a how-to PDF in the near future for anyone else interested in doing the same mod.

15. smcgov

smcgov Senior Member

If i'm not mistaken, you can create a custom tuning. Couldn't you have just done that instead? I have the SG Robot (which i love!!), which would also seem like a better lefty, not that i need it. I belive they also offered the LP Special with Robot stuff.

Nice perserverance though!!

16. atheos

atheos Senior Member

You *can* do custom tunings, so long as E,A,D,G,B,E is positioned right handed. You wouldn't be able to have a custom tuning where the robot would take Low E from 82.4 Hz to 329.6 Hz, and so on (110Hz/246.9Hz,146.8Hz/196Hz).
    Like I said, ideally a software modification would be the most ideal, however most un-attainable goal since it's closed source. The next best solution would be a modified thin PCB board that sits between the tuners and the headstock. That would have only required modifying 12 traces.

17. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

Nice work!

18. J076

J076 Senior Member

Fellow lefty here, nice job sticking it to the man!

Since the bridge is flipped around, I am assuming the intonation feature works backwards now?

19. Paul46

Paul46 Senior Member

It's gotta be easier to learn to play righty! :)

Luckily,I'm a lefty who learnt righty,but I sympathise with your problem.Kudos for your skill and perseverance.

20. atheos

atheos Senior Member

Yes, it should since each string rests on top of the proper saddle. I haven't done a proper setup on the guitar yet, still deciding on whether or not to gut/transplant the robot parts.