Gibson USA quality control

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by HOT-BRIT, May 26, 2011.

1. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

I have noticed that Gibson USA quality control as taken a down turn in the last few years, I see many guitars leaving the Gibson factory with manufacturer flaws. In previous years Gibson would separate the guitars out with cosmetic flaws, mark them as seconds and sell them at a reduced price.
    But now Gibson douse not mark any guitars as seconds and it seems like they just sell the guitars with cosmetic flaws at full price,
    I believe that when you pay a premium price for a Gibson guitar you expect the finest quality workmanship, this is why you are paying more for a high quality instrument.
    I have heard from some people that Gibson is making so many guitars now that it is impossible for them to detect the flaws in the guitars they are building. I do not believe this, every guitar should be carefully inspected at each stage of manufacture. I have also heard that it is up to the customer to do the quality control for Gibson when they are buying a new guitar.
    Gibson's quality control is so slack now that you have to carefully scrutinize the guitar to see if you are lucky and have found one that is built the way it was supposed to have been. I don't think this situation is right, I believe that it is Gibson's responsibility to have better quality control. When some one is buying a new Rolls Royce they don't inspect every inch of the car for manufacturers flaws, because they no and trust it is built to the very highest standards, this is why they are willing to pay the premium price.
    Now Gibson custom shop guitars have a much better quality control and I think Gibson USA should have the same quality control standards,

2. BigAl

BigAl Senior Member

Or at the very least on par. I totally agree. There's no reason for guitars that cost twice as much as Fenders to have half as much quality control.

landonblevins1995 likes this.
  3. Mule Train

Mule Train Senior Member

My Les Paul was built after the flood Dec. 2010. It is a good one with no flaws that I can see. Others have not been so lucky and that is unfair. I do agree from past posts I have read, with a grain of salt, that there is a problem and needs to be addressed by Gibson. When you see a new Gibson with flaws there is more than 1 person who didn't care, that is bad.

4. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

I believe it is unfair to the Gibson customers to have to carefully scrutinize a guitar looking for the flaws that should have been detected and eliminated by Gibson;s quality control inspectors.
    If it is not redressed it will effect Gibson's image in the long run

5. zslane

zslane Senior Member

In order to more thoroughly inspect all the guitars that Gibson mass produces every week, they'd have to hire a lot more people, train them, and keep them happy. This would, no doubt, raise the price of these guitars even further. I imagine that Gibson has found what the price threshold is for market acceptance and for sustaining market share. Raising the prices to pay for better QC might upset that finely-tuned price structure too much for Gibson.

So, until Gibson chooses to pull back from mass production and turn themselves into a boutique shop, chances are their QC isn't going to improve noticeably.

rockstar232007, Skintaster and River like this.
  6. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

i understand this point, but sub par guitars from Gibson should not be acceptable,
    why do they not go back to marking them as seconds?
    there would be plenty of people on a budget who would be happy to buy them at a reduced price.

7. siggy14

siggy14 Senior Member

I think gibson cant win, people conplain because they started cutting up the seconds, now people conplain because they let them through.

Lets be honest here, if you walk into a guitar shop and see a gibson with a flaw, well that is a bargining chip, heck i use to walk into guitar center looking for guitars with flaws or with chips from being handled to much just so I can haggle a good deal

If anyone pays full price for a guitar with a flaw, well then they deserve what they get, hell if anyone pays full price in general they let the fool be parted with his money.

I no longer shop at GC since they started that new pricing policy of you pay what is on the tag, but at other stores I have no problem haggeling prices down.

If you really want to compain about price of a fender to a gibson, yes gibson is alot, but fenders do not even hold close to there original value when you goto resell, you will pay close to $1100 to $1300 for a new american made standard, when you sell you will be lucky to get $700. Then the older the american standards are the less money you get for them.

Take a gibson standard, You can get within $150 of paying price when you goto sell, to me that is a good investment.

8. HRC

HRC Senior Member

I've seen a lot of Gibson Custom Shop guitars with issues as bad or worse than the USA line. Gibson's poor quality control is a problem with all of their guitars in my opinion. You have to look hard to find a good one weather it's a Custom Shop model or from the USA line.

9. zslane

zslane Senior Member

That's a good question. It could be because:

• A "flawed" guitar costs Gibson the same to produce as a "perfect" one.
    • The buying public is, in general, not discerning enough to notice or care about most of the flaws. If they are willing to pay full price, why would Gibson offer them at a discount?
    It has been pointed out many times before here that part of the blame goes to the customer base who willingly shells out the money for Gibson's products at their current prices and level of quality control. If their customers stopped buying, they'd have to make changes to accomodate. As long as we play the role of enabler, they're probably never going to change.

Skintaster, Thumpalumpacus and sonar1 like this.
  10. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Gibson Guitar Reviews | Glassdoor.com

11. Chinese Knockoff

Chinese Knockoff Banned

That's why people buy PRS guitars.

12. rick13

rick13 Senior Member

For the price of Gibson Custom Shop , you can buy a really nice PRS without any flaws.
    I have two Custom shops right now with multiple, visible finish flaws. Good thing that I bought used. HOT-BRIT is right. Scrutinize the guitars before you buy them, and don't accept crappy workmanship. Eventually Gibson will be forced to get it right.
    Rick

HOT-BRIT likes this.
  13. dynabite

dynabite Senior Member

Unfortunately PRS doesn't sound like a Les Paul.

14. zslane

zslane Senior Member

Not even the SC 58?

15. dynabite

dynabite Senior Member

Close but no cigar, especially for the $$$$, I'm happier with a used $500 Studio, but you know what they say about tone and subjectivity. With that said I doubt I buy a Gibby past 2000.

Skintaster, HOT-BRIT and HRC like this.
  16. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

I buy MIJ and apply the necessary mods(pups, caps..ect).

17. rick13

rick13 Senior Member

Well finish is one thing, tone is something completely different. You can have both...not just one or the other.
    Rick

18. dudu

dudu Senior Member

I used to doo that too. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a MIJ LP that sounded like a Gibson. That rich midrange just wasn't there. Khaya does sound different. They were exceptional guitars, though, I had no complaint.

Back on topic, Gibson has grown too big for its own good.

HOT-BRIT likes this.
  19. joesatch

joesatch Senior Member

PRS is much better with QC. Their guitars are handled by real luthiers and go through several stages of QC. Gibson employs people who know nothing about how a guitar works. If you look at their factory vids, you'll see. I don't like the sight of some old fat lady grinding on my fret nibs like she cant wait for lunchtime.

Bring It!
    [​IMG]

EnjoGuitar, GammyBird and HOT-BRIT like this.
  20. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

They can be found. Orville by Gibson, Bacchus, Greco...ect are all great guitars and have tonnes of whatever you're looking for in a LP.

Gibson are flying by on the work they've done years ago and it's finally coming back to bite them on the arse. They're still a good guitar, and in many cases great guitars....but I know several guys who have had too much trouble with them for my liking so I just stay away from them.

HOT-BRIT likes this.