Gibson USA factory tour

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by FLICKOFLASH, Mar 31, 2007.

1. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

Really cool. I have a niece that lives in Nashville and when I get out to visit her I plan on hitting the Gibson factory tour. The only factory tour I have been to was the Martin factory about 1-1/2 hours from my house. That was something to see.

2. leofender55

leofender55 Member

The Opryland Mall in Nashville used to have a Gibson store in it. Inside of the store was a workshop with glass panels and you could watch very talented luthiers work on building instruments. When visiting my daughter at college I would stand for a long while and watch these true craftsmen ply their trade. Too bad it is no longer there.

1 person likes this.
  3. paco1976

paco1976 Senior Member

Have you noticed the guy putting the neck into the bodies. He dedicates 3 seconds per guitar, amazing. The most sensitive part of the sound of a guitar, the sustain and definition... 3 seconds. Come on... Definitely Gibson is not what it used to be in the past. After watching this what is the meaning of discussing about long tenons, short or trans... it is a factory. Don't think I will purchase any new Gibson... anything new I will get it second hand from better ages when the guitars were worth something. :(

4. poorness

poorness Senior Member

I have never been to the Nashville facility, but I took a tour of the Gibson Memphis factory earlier this year. It is very similar but they're building hollow and semi-hollow guitars instead of solid bodies. It is an impressive tour... even for a non-musician. I was amazed that there are only 2 positions in the factory that have the job requirement to play guitar (fret leveler and final setup). The majority of the workers do not play guitar.

5. Paulinator

Paulinator Banned

Well, considering today's CNC machines, should he require more than 3 seconds?? On the flip side, would it be a "good sign" if he had to struggle for several minutes to achieve a proper fit?

1 person likes this.
  6. jaysmall

jaysmall Senior Member

Exactly!

What I noticed was after his "3 seconds" of hand chisel work (sure seemed like more than that to me, as he took a few shave passes on each of two sides of the tenon), that tenon fit just as it should -- easily tight enough to support the full weight of the guitar without the glue. After the glue cures, that's one solid connection.

In the video, we get to see him fit only one tenon. I'd guess he has to fuss with some of them a little more than we see here, and maybe once in a while gets one that fits with no hand adjustments.

Even with computer guided machines, next to a dovetail, a mortise/tenon joint is perhaps the hardest in woodworking to get right. The bigger the joint, the more surface area that may need tweaks before gluing.

Yes, it's a factory with large orders and quotas and people who must work quickly when they can. All the more reason to admire craftsmanship under deadline pressure. I look at how they do this at Gibson with amazement, not disdain.

3 people like this.
  7. tourettes2400

tourettes2400 Member

These videos make it look like this would be a decent warehouse/manufacturing job. I live just outside Nashville (10-15 miles) I thought I would check into working there, since I have seen there are positions available a few times in the past. That is when I came upon this Gibson Guitar Reviews | Glassdoor . I am all for U.S. companies, but it seems like this is a horrible place to work. Also seems like Henry is a real P.O.S. My wife told a guy she worked with, who use to work there, I was considering checking them out. He told her this place is run like a sweat shop and from the reviews, looks like he wasn't far off.

8. emerald81

emerald81 Senior Member

9. ACELUEK

ACELUEK ACE FREHLEY'S BASTARD SON

Cool.. When I was there last year.

[​IMG]

10. sebrocs

sebrocs Junior Member

Awesome link, thanks

11. lawrev

lawrev Senior Member

I took the Memphis tour in early June. Well worth it in my opinion! Wish they had a Nashville tour also.

12. Nickel Zens

Nickel Zens Member

Shame there is nothing like this over here in the uk, I would love to work for Gibson or Fender!!

13. mc_carlini

mc_carlini Senior Member

Link is broken I think

14. dapperdan

dapperdan Junior Member

Awesome, I am going to be in Tennessee next summer in both Nashville and Memphis so hopefully I can convince my family to take the tour with me.

15. conanthewarrior

conanthewarrior Junior Member

I have heard Gibson is actually terrible to work for, I've read a few stories online on some job review sites. Might be better to keep it as a dream!

If anyone here actually works for Gibson and feels differently, I apologise.

16. lovesacdc

lovesacdc Senior Member

This video doesn't give me much confidence about the quality of the guitars. Not much craftsmanship here, its all mechanised, done quickly, by factory workers. Explains why its a hit and miss for quality.

1 person likes this.
  17. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

Finally got around to watching this video. I enjoyed it. Watching this makes me realize that they really crank them out in that factory.

18. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

working for Marshall or Vox would probably be cooler.

1 person likes this.
  19. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Member

He'd have to go to Vietnam, then, right?:laugh2:
    ;>)/

1 person likes this.
  20. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

There are a few former Gibson employees here, and a few people who know people who still work there. They've already pretty much confirmed what most of us have either suspected, or have known all along.