Gibson USA 2019 Line up

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by PierM, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Cookiee

Cookiee Senior Member

The Traditional in tobacco burst looks so good, tempting...

2. PierM

PierM Black & Gold Premium Member

All slim chicken neck taper, apart the Trads.

Sad to see C and B grade rosewood being declared for the Memphis guitars. What a decline...

Another year to bypass for me.....:iough:

TheWelder, paruwi and endial like this.
  3. drex

drex Junior Member

Love that Flying V! Just like Jim James from My Morning Jacket minus the mirrored pickguard, haha

Seems like fewer finish options across the board which is prob a good thing.

lespaulfreak93 likes this.
  4. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Wow, just two color choices for Les Paul's. hmm

5. Rick

Rick Senior Member

6. drex

drex Junior Member

hahaha, $3400 with an MSRP of $5700!!!!

7. rdbear7d

rdbear7d Senior Member

New design ES 235...Wow..what a beauty..

Zinc Tailpiece, abr-1, bone nut, Rounded C neck..Ebony..oh ya..!!..pretty good price too..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  8. 519tbarr

519tbarr Senior Member

Don’t know if anyone else noticed
    But all of the USA lineup is posting LOW - cryogenic fretwire! Seriously Gibson - low fretwire??? Please tell me that’s a typo.

9. 519tbarr

519tbarr Senior Member

Also seems like someone screwed the pooch on their twitter account with this post! Good job Gibson...

Attached Files:

10. UKPortista

UKPortista Senior Member

Quite fancy a Classic in Honeyburst.

11. scozz

scozz Senior Member

No Honeyburst Traditional...and no Cherry Sunburst Standard! :eek2:

zanshin777 likes this.
  12. danzego

danzego Senior Member

I hate to be a negative Nellie, but what an utterly dreadful year for Les Pauls. Absolutely terrible looking. The only thing saving it from being a total wash is Sweetwater’s exclusive colors (another year of the Smokehouse Studio and the Cherry Sunburst Classic, which is iffy since it has that weird pinkish binding).

I’ve said it before here and I’ll say it again- I’m kind of glad because it sure clears up any buyer’s remorse I may have gotten with the 2018 Tobacco Traditional I got a few weeks ago. I can honestly say I’m glad I got “last year’s model”. The new 2019 Tobacco Traditional looks poor with that natural colored back. The only thing they got right with it in 2019 was Amber top hats instead of the gold ones (which I’ll be switching to before long).

kekam35, lespaulfreak93 and scottatgc like this.
  13. gravedanger

gravedanger Senior Member

2019 is basically gonna be Gibson selling a boat load of DC Junior Tributes

14. endial

endial Senior Member

gnappi, rdbear7d and PierM like this.
  15. kekam35

kekam35 Member

Yeah, glad I bought a 2018 when I did, way too much black in that tobacco burst. I much prefer the perimeter, and “low” fret wire is a deal breaker for me. Of course both of these are just my opinion and are entirely subjective.

16. lespaulfreak93

lespaulfreak93 Senior Member

I love this lineup! A lot less to choose from, prices seem OK-ish (no big price hike at least), street prices will be much better anyway, and it's always fun to see what stupid pointless thing people will complain about each new production year.
    Hoping to get an ES-235. Wonder what case it will fit.

Also... look a proper 335 studio! Finally! The previous versions looked very poor, this one looks fine, just no neck binding.

jbat likes this.
  17. PierM

Did you apply for a job as new CEO? You tick all the boxes.

paruwi likes this.
  18. lespaulfreak93

lespaulfreak93 Senior Member

Thinking positive sometimes works wonders.
    I have my opinion, you have yours. No more comments on my part. I have no time for negativity.

There's reason to complain if the quality is going to be bad, and nobody's played these yet.
    I like these guitars very much, there are many models in this lineup I am interested in and the pricing seems much more reasonable on most models than in previous years. Many things are a matter of preference, they won't make a model just for you, if you want that there's made to measure. If you know exactly what you want in your instrument, you're most likely experienced/good enough to afford a custom instrument. There seems to be a general move towards making models that are a bit more affordable for non-professional musicians. Many budget-minded guitars here. ES-235, ES-335 studio, many Tributes etc. Good choice. Even the Thinline 275 at $4000 (guessing 3000 street?) doesn't seem excessive compared to what the full thickness one cost. 1500$ SG Standard? That's lower than it was in the past few years.
    The choice of colors is odd, though. Maybe they were thinking that if someone wants a modern Les Paul, they'll go for a different finish, and if someone wants a traditional HCS... well they'll go for the traditional. Risky, but I can see why they did it.

And +1 on the ES-235 hype. Wonder what case they'll fit?

19. PierM

Calling other people opinions as stupid and pointless like you did has nothing to do with thinking "positive" and "negative". It's guitars we are talking, not philosophy.

It's "thinking positive" gonna make me liking and using slim tapers? Nope. This has nothing to do with all your fluff about being a professional musician and bubbles. It't just another missed opportunity for Gibson USA to embrace more customers (I honestly don't give a damn as I keep buying used or Custom Shop, but you got the point, hopefully). Gibson keeps doing 99% of the USA line with slim tapers, forcing you to go Custom Shop for proper profiles. Ok let met try; you do 2 different models of an Explorer? Ok, make one with 50 profile and one with 60. You make 2 SG models? Ok, make one with 50 and one with 60. What's the pointless/stupid complain here?

Also, you seem ok to pay a 2K guitar with a C grade rosewood fretboard. Good for ya, but that is really sad, since one of the goods of the Memphis guitars, were the fretboards being pretty consistent along the entire lineup, despite the prices. Nowadays, I can buy a sub 1K guitar with Grade A dark rosewood (which is cheapo, so I can't see why going for grade C, unless you are really cutting cost corners). For some reason, Gibson USA seems struggling like anyone else, sourcing that wood. It's not a complain, it's just an observation of the reality.

Same with people complaining for the finish, they have their point. Usually people does connect more with a specific model, and just collect more finish along the years. Instead of doing a millions of different models with just 2 finish per model, maybe would be better to reduce the models, and offer more finish (and neck profiles) per model ?.

I don't even want to start talking about selling a 1.8K guitar with a gigbag. That would be a stupid pointless complain LOL!

peterjc likes this.