Gibson USA 2017 Leather Strap

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by williu, Mar 3, 2017.

1. williu

williu Member

What do you guys think of the "premium leather strap" that comes as part of the 2017 Gibson USA case candy? I originally didn't give it much thought, since I thought it looked kind of cheap and I didn't think it was actual leather, and just left it in the case. But today I took it out, thought it felt nice and realized that it actually does seem to be genuine leather even though it has a kind of plastic feeling to it. I adjusted the size to my liking and tried it, and to be honest it's really comfortable. Maybe even the most comfortable one I have, at least up to par with my Fender road worn leather strap.

But upon scanning the net a bit I can't find many comments about it. So all you 2017 model owners, what do you think of your leather strap?

Attached Files:

2. kmasters68

kmasters68 Premium Member

I use an old one just like it on one of my customs. Feels good on my shoulder.

3. Pretzel

Pretzel Junior Member

I'm of the opinion it's pretty crappy, considering the fact that I spend more than $2,500 on a guitar. The strap isn't even top grain leather, it's bonded leather without stitching.

It seems that the least they could do would be to throw in their "The Classic" guitar strap, which is the cheapest full leather strap they sell (and is actually one I like a fair deal). Instead they kind of shaft you by giving you a strap made from cheap materials.

It's comfortable, sure, but I prefer the other Gibson strap I linked earlier and it takes a little bit of breaking in to be flexible (I just beat it on a table leg for a little bit). It just feels wrong to me that they'd include such a cheap strap with their flagship guitar.

4. suedehead

suedehead Senior Member

I'm a little jealous. A couple of years ago, you got nothing with the guitar - they even missed out the crappy adjustment tool with mine. Now it seems that you get a photo of the guitar on the (is it QC or final adjustments?) bench, a strap and a premium multitool jobby. I think that's cool.

After all, every kid wants a toy with their Happy Meal, and I'm no different!

5. Pretzel

Pretzel Junior Member

I will say, I was pleasantly surprised by the multitool they provided. It's actually pretty good quality, and they supplied an additional truss rod wrench and allen key in a second bag for the truss rod and bridge. I used it when replacing my strap buttons and for intonating the guitar, it seemed to work just fine for both simple operations and it feels sturdy enough that you could use it for about anything you could use a multitool for without worrying about breaking or bending something.

Any half-decent strap is better than no strap, I suppose, but it feels a bit weird for them to include something that feels so cheap with their flagship guitar selling for nearly $3,000.

6. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

The multitool is the CruzTool, rebranded. Its a nice little tool. Problem is, lot of light fingers out there.

Mine, wasn't in the case for my 2017 Classic. The Cerritos GC had taken it out of the box/case, the day they got it, and when I picked it up the next day... it wasn't in there.

My local GC, replaced it within minutes, when I brought it up.

The strap stays rolled up in the case. No need for it, I've got at least 5 straps and all are setup for locks.

7. Low Gain

Low Gain Senior Member

I would prefer that the guitar took a good adjustment out of the factory instead of a cheap and ugly strap came into the case candy. Just saying:hmm:

paruwi likes this.
  8. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

It's a nice strap and I like it. I have two of them. :thumb:

9. Kaicho8888

Kaicho8888 Senior Member

All the years I've bought Gibsons since the mid '60s, I've never got a freebie strap.

I've got similar looking ones and they're still in good shape for 50 plus years. I recently bought a number of the same style from Amazon... definitely looked nice but mostly fake leather or PU leather. As much as I hate going to Guitar Center; no more online strap purchases for me.

10. Veeing Fly

Veeing Fly Senior Member

Sounds like you want the Gibson Troubadour strap, which is made of higher quality stitched leather:

[​IMG]

11. gball

gball Senior Member

I find it to be very comfortable and it's perfect with my '17 SG Std, which it came with. I don't think I would like it as much with my LP, seems to "springy" for such a heavy guitar.

12. Pretzel

Pretzel Junior Member

Something like that or the strap I linked (their "The Classic" strap, since I have a personal preference of brown) would have felt less out of place with the guitar to me.

[​IMG]

That said, I paid for the guitar, not the strap, so it's not a big deal in any way. It's just a minor annoyance.

JonCanfield likes this.
  13. Veeing Fly

Veeing Fly Senior Member

Troubadour comes in brown as well.

14. elbob2492

elbob2492 Member

15. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

I use a thick leather levy strap.. awesome
    [​IMG]

i used to use the unpadded straps but it would appear i was hard on my guitar as they all began tearing at the strap holes. This heavy leather one is still good

16. roeg

roeg Senior Member

If the leather has been properly cured,it will last for years and do good service.If it hasn't,it will shed,crack and stretch down the road.Since its single layer,apparently from the photo,keep an eye on it,especially around the eyelets. The lack of double sided re-enforcement at that point can mean the eyelets will be more prone to stretching at some point...jme with some substandard leather in the past...

17. sarphim

sarphim Member

I've been happy with it. I have a second leather strap which was a custom made xmas present that I use when I'm performing. The Gibson one I have set a bit higher and use it when I'm just practicing at home sitting down(couch strap!).

I started noticing my back hurting a bit when I rested the guitar on my knee for prolonged periods, probably due to bad posture. So a second strap was welcomed and need for my electric(I already use a second strap for my acoustics but it is set very different than I would use on my electrics).

18. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

That is soooooooo beautiful :applause:

19. DrSte31n

DrSte31n Member

Is this "Gibson USA Premium Strap" available anywhere? I had the same experience as the OP. The strap came with my Firebird T, and I find myself using it (at least with that guitar) all the time. I recently got a Les Paul Junior, and I think this strap would be perfect for it. Thanks!

20. DrSte31n

DrSte31n Member