Gibson Traditional 2014 50 wiring mod

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by xstrada, Aug 31, 2017.

1. xstrada

xstrada Junior Member

Hi, I'm writing from Argentina, I do not speak Spanish. A couple of days ago I installed in my les paul traditional 2014 (59 tribute humbuckers) an Emerson wiring kit of 50.
    This kit includes

(4) 500K Emerson PRO CTS Split Shaft Potentiometers
    (1) Switchcraft J11 1/4 "mono input jack (MADE IN USA)
    (2) Emerson Bumblebee Paper in Oil Capacitors (1: 0.022uf Bridge, & 1: 0.015uf Neck)

I need to ask a few questions.

1- Will the CTS potentiometers be better than the Gibson (both are 500k)?
    2 - Emerson Bumblebee will do better work on treble than orange drops?
    3 - For emerson to include in the kit the Switchcraft J11 1/4 "mono input jack is better than the one that brings the guitar?
    4- Is it normal to feel that there is a loss of gain?

I use a Fender deluxe reverb 65 amplifier does not have any modifications. I did not remove the bright cap, but before (guitar with the modern system) did not have any kind of problems in the sound of my pedals overdrives, it was not very bright.
    Now I have noticed that there is more brightness and the pedals need more profits.
    This is normal ?
    The guitar without pedals connected directly to the amplifier with the 50 kit sounds wonderful, but with pedals I feel it has changed

2. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

Hi Xstrada,

I have the same guitar but I have matched (within 2 percent) 550k pots & original 50s bumble bee caps.

1) yes definitely it's better, was quite common to see 500k pots for the volume & 300k for the tone in a '14 trad.

2) this is subjective but 'yes' generally better

3) the jack is the same, the Gibson wire attached to jack will be not as good as Emerson wire

4) yes this can be so, a guitar with 50s wiring typically sounds brighter and more open but also thinner

Change of sound with pedals, that your not sure about/don't like . Yes this happens, it's because the guitar is now much more precise & the pickup is critical of what it is plugged into it demands 'quality '

3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

answers

1. No, not necessarily.
    2 No, not necessarily.
    3. Not at all
    4. That sounds odd. Sometimes more clarity increases treble content which can often make the note sound like its dying off quicker as you have a higher dynamic range to the pickup. Otherwise check the solder connections.