Gibson T-Top replica with a 490R or 490T?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by andrewflour, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Weird ain't it! I've got about 15 guitars Gibbys, Epis, Fenders, Washburns,etc., and I've got a Westone Corsair (Matsumoku factory) with a cheap cheap cheap Chinese ceramic in the bridge and 70's Japanese single coil at the neck and I keep going back to it! Got it at a yard sale for 5 bucks w/ no pickups or pots, thru whatever I had in my parts box at the time and fired 'er up. Clean, overdriven, maxed out, it seems to be the best sounding (for my taste) guit I've got.(don't tell anybody). No tone or volume pots though, so I'm wondering if that might be the key. Ya think?

2. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

So, does the minibucker sound like Malcolm's Gretch? That's what he played at that time right?

3. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Weird ain't it! My go-to guit is a Westone Corsair I got at a yard sale for 5 bucks w/ no pups or pots. Thru in what I had in my parts box and fired 'er up. A cheap cheap cheap no-name chinese ceramic at the bridge and a Japanese single coil from a "70's strat kit.Clean,overdriven, crazy distortion, it's all good. Out of15 guitars, Gibbys, Epis, Fenders,Washburns, etc., it seems to fit every style and mode every time.(ssssh.don't tell anybody, it's my secret shame).
    No pots or switches tho'. Wonder if that's the key? Both pickups full on all the time.

4. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Don't know what happened there. Lost power, post didn't send rewrote and posted then saw them both. Sorry.

5. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Got the feeling I've digressed here. Didn't mean to be a hijacker. I'm a newbie and don't know the forum etiquette I guess. The subject was t-buckers and their ilk and this is an LP forum so I'll talk about mine if anyone cares. I mentioned a Corsair as a guilty pleasure, but I still have to say my '71 LP Custom is my honey. I love Mick Ronson's Bowie "pinups" era sound.
    My LP has been "Ronsonised" (GASP) that is , stripped and finished with very thin nitro eons ago when it wasn't so collectible.With the.early '70's t-buckers gets the tones dead on I had a 20th anniversary Custom with the same treatment and Schaller golden 50's at one point and the sound was very similar. Pretty good for Bolan, Page, close to Angus , somewhat EVH as well. I am a firm believer in old wood and thin nitro finishes. It gives the unpotted pups a lot to work with. I haven't noticed any instability in the neck or action as regards moisture sensitivity due to thin finishes, but don't play out anymore so who knows.

6. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

He still does, the same guitar in fact.

I wouldn't say it sounds like his, but it gets in the same territory. Lots cleaner, clearer and chimey-er than a full size humbucker of any stripe.

More powerful than the Gretch's Filtertron, tho. Crisper attack than a Filtertron and not quite as sweet, but close.

7. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Its a Gibson mini right? You say old, what era? Potted or no? I had a Epi 30th anniversary Deluxe that gave me a Gretchy sound as well. Like Townsends "Who's Next' chime crunch twang. Really liked it, but they were Epi pups so Im sure Gibsons are more refined. Lots of attack but a bit lacking in sustain.

8. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

BTW. I have a Epii Wildkat (P90's) That covers that territory pretty well. It's a cheap guitar, but well made and even with stock pups sounds good for aggresive rockabilly and crunchy rhythm ala Townsend, who I thinks influences Malcolms strong rhythmic sensibilities and tone choice. Maybe I'm wrong tho'.

9. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

Wow, I completely forgot about this thread. This is one golden thread :thumb:

I've had a couple different guitars since I posted here, and whenever I have a guitar with 490s, I switch the neck and bridge pickups.

10. yezizso

yezizso Junior Member

Nice Page tone! What pickups would you put in a Page Dragon Telecaster to get the Led I sound? :hmm:

11. troy2006

troy2006 Junior Member

I had recently bought the 490r and 490t set.They sound good to me if I use both pickups and roll down the neck volume to halfway. I would go with a 496r and a 498t. I got the 490 t by mistake when I ordered them.I been through the gold 490r and 498t because the gold wears off so fast plus the nickle ones do too .I'm going to get the ceramic 496r and 498t myself.That is a hot combination there.

12. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

Obviously, pickups are relative to what the player wants to hear. I personally hate the 490s stock.

13. troy2006

troy2006 Junior Member

That's true , Actually Gibson screwed up on my order . I wanted to replace my Stock Gold 49Or and 498t pickups with a new set of the Burnished Nickle plus with them having the 4 wire for the push pull pots.They screwed up and sent me a 490r and 490t set.Since they were so slow on my order , I made do and the only way to get any decent results was to use both pickups at once with the neck rolled down to 4 .They are definitely not any good for the heavy stuff at ALL ! That's why I'm going to sell the 490's and hardware while the Nickle is in top shape.If I had the cash I would get a set of the Burstbucker pro's.This time I'm trying the 496r and 498t with the push pull pots in zebra after I seen the Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess.I know I love his tones .I don't know anything about the old T tops but as far as Kojak's question, What about trying a Gibson Dirty Fingers in the neck instead of altering a 490r ?

14. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Senior Member

If anyone is interested in a 490 R pre-modded with a short Alnico 5 magnet and a chrome cover, shoot me a pm...

15. troy2006

troy2006 Junior Member

I may be interested. I'm a noob and I haven't sent personal messages before.Maybe getting my 490t modified might be the answer to keeping from buying a new set.

16. formula73

formula73 Senior Member

There is some good info in this thread.

There is also so much misinformation it boggles the mind.

1 person likes this.
  17. Gvecchi

Gvecchi Member

Hi, I'm new around here. I've got a 490R pup and I'd like to try this mod. Where can I find the alnico 5 short bar? Is there any difference in tone between short and long bar?
    Thank you!

18. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

19. SGguy

SGguy Senior Member

The magnet is shorter, therefore the magnetic field of a short mag isn't quite as strong. As far as tone goes, it's the same as a regular length A5 mag, but to slightly less of a degree due to the lower strength.

20. Gvecchi

Gvecchi Member

Thank you guys. I've just bought a alnico 5 bar from Stewmac. It's not a short bar I wanted, but that's what I got. I've found a 2.25'' short bar in Mojotone.com but the shipment to Brazil starts at 40 dollars!!!

Will my 490R sound like a TTop using a 2.50" magnet bar?