Gibson T-Top replica with a 490R or 490T?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by andrewflour, Nov 4, 2009.

1. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

If memory serves me correctly, you need to mod the 490R and put that in the bridge position to get the same sound. The 490R is closer to the output of the T-Top than the 490T.

2. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

Yep, what he said.

3. Hardcase

Hardcase Junior Member

Thanks snaredrum. Yes sorry I made a critical error there in my post I was in fact aware that I had to drop the modded 490R in the bridge position (tired and over excited about this find).

So thanks also guys for the clarification about what to use for the neck position. I have since picked up my second hand 490R but passed on the 498t (you saved me 60 euro). Now play the waiting game for a second hand PAF or fork out and get one new. Possibly a Bareknuckle Mule: http://*******.com/cnu4b2t or a Gibson Vintage Classic: http://*******.com/c9qldyt. Those ReWinds do look the business but I dont see single PUPs for sale only sets.

Any ideas on my question about using the Jimmy Page push/pull wiring with this Pickup combo. Does it matter? Prob an obvious question but I'm new to tinkering with this stuff.

Oh yeah one other thought. The 490R I got is covered, will the wax on the 490R affect the tone, do I need to 'de-pot' them?

Thanks again for all your help.

4. Hardcase

Hardcase Junior Member

sorry there must be some sort of restriction on using t-i-n-y-u-r-l links. Needless to say just replace the asterisks in links above with that word (minus the hyphens). Hurray

5. Gvecchi

Gvecchi Member

I made my own TTop clone using the 490R and it sounds great. Then I got real 60's TTop and I think the biggest difference between them is the annoying whistle that occurs when I play in high volume levels, probably because the old TTop is a unpotted pickup.

2 people like this.
  6. Hardcase

Hardcase Junior Member

Thanks Gvecchi thats good to know.

7. Hardcase

Hardcase Junior Member

Ok I'm going to forget about the push pull setup. Less is more eh, eh, eh!? Anyway the 490R I bought has only got the one cable stickin out.

8. Gvecchi

Gvecchi Member

I used to have a split coil push pull knobs, a la Page, but it was almost useless. A half humbucker in a Les Paul does not sounds as Fender single coil at all. With a good amp and using just my volume knob I can get a lot of good Tele sounds from my Les Paul without split anything. Keep it simple! :)

9. Hardcase

Hardcase Junior Member

Will do. Thanks for your help Gvecchi.

10. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

Personally, I'd go for it ;) I had split coil Seymour Duncans a while ago, and while it doesn't sound like a strat or tele, it's a different sound than full humbuckers, and it sounds pretty cool clean. If you never play clean, it's not that big of a deal. Since the 4 conductor pickups are required for a split-coil setup, that's exactly what you need, and I'm guessing it won't change the sound of the T-Top mod. The only difference is the ability to cut the signal from half of the pickup.

My favorite was the split neck with a little bit of dirt.

11. Hardcase

Hardcase Junior Member

I try to get out and they pull me back in!

1 person likes this.
  12. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

Just make sure you wire everything up right or get a wiring kit that's already wired up. Too many wires and connections to have to troubleshoot.

13. tm123

tm123 Junior Member

Thanks for all the info I tried this myself and it works great!!
    Good Page tone T-top replica i was aiming for!!
    my setup as follows:
    2013 Gibson 490R with "UN-Oriented AlNiCo 5" swap standard 2.5" length.
    Bridge position; Epi Les Paul 100
    50's WIRING .33/.15uf I feel this is very important for overall tonality
    Really solid sound straight into a Marshall :dude:

1 person likes this.