Gibson T-top pickups ?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Zibson, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Jceremic

Jceremic Junior Member

I have T-tops in my 71-72 SG they both measure at 7.5 ohms exactly. The have a very small black sticker with the parent number. I also have T-tops in my 74 LP Standard. I have never looked at he bottom of them. Both sets of T-tops sound brighter and more trebly than the Burstbucker 1&2 in my R9. I actually like the T-tops better for most applications. They are more well behaved than the BBs but still rock out through a cranked amp. More articulate
    and comparable sustain. The 74 LP has the sandwiched body (a wafer of maple between the layers of mahogany) and a 3 piece neck, so I would expect it to be more trebly than the R9 regardless of the pick ups. What I can say is that through out the 70's and early 80's that 74 LP was noted for it's full and powerful tone as compared to any other electric guitar by those that heard it. In the mid-80's I put a Dimarzio Superdistortion in the bridge of the SG, after about a year I switched back to that 7.5 ohm T-top. It sounded great through both the clean Twin Reverb and cranked Super Lead compared to the Dimarzio hot pick-up. I am not sure what the big deal is about the T-tops because there are so many excellent pick ups out there today. They are good but not really better than the good quality PAF clones out there. There is a lesson here it would be that hotter or higher resistance pick-ups are not necessary to have a great distorted tone and moderate (7.5 ohm) winds generally sound better clean.

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I won't sell my T-Tops because I love the tone. Mine are the ones that have the Tees 'head to head':

[​IMG]

One has the nickel cover but I removed it for aesthetics. As mentioned, they are bright and ballsy. I installed one in the neck of my Yamaha AES-620. It is a very dark and moody guitar. This t-top opened up the tone, the lows can be more fully expressed without going too muddy. It's a perfect match for the SD JB in the bridge. Together they sound menacing. The guitar plays nicely into the sound our band is trying to get-the lead guitarist plays Ibanez and Jacksons (shredders), now nicely balanced.

I'm going to put the other T-top back into my MIJ LP where it came from. This was a sweet score as my aunt bought the guitar back in 1981 for $500 with these installed. I wont sell it but I am curious what it's worth. I see these on ebay for $300, but they dont sell (it is a buyer's market out there, too many deals)

3. Sterling # Sound

Sterling # Sound Senior Member

I have 2 T-Top humbuckers in my Les Paul. One is a stamped later version, and one is the PAF stickered one. They came out of a '66 Gibson ES-330 (and they shouldn't have been in there either). The first thing I thought of when I played the T-Tops is JIMMY PAGE! I've never been so close to his tone.

Interestingly, while the PAF stickered T-Top is perfect, the stamped later version is much more inspiring and I have this in the bridge. The output is very low, if I remember correctly around 7.1k. The tone is almost devoid of most lows, it has a spiky tone with pronounced high mids. Goes really well with Marshalls. Good for AC/DC too.

[​IMG]

4. pmonk

pmonk Senior Member

When was the period of time when the T-tops did not have a sticker or date stamp, just a plain back with the Pat #?

5. Boppy

Boppy Senior Member

1975 to 1977, I think.

6. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

Sound sample T-Top's pre 1970 and 1971

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfXcGqygNOQ&feature=mfu_channel&list=UL]T-top pickups - YouTube[/ame]

Gear:
    Gibson 2010 R9
    Gibson 1978 The Paul
    Fender Deluxe Reverb Amp

/z

7. bhilton5898

bhilton5898 Banned

I have one to I wood like to know more like the year and stuff. It is gold with the Gibson logo on it I will post pics soon.

8. bertrand4070

bertrand4070 Senior Member

i have a friend who have a 1969 lp custom and he has t top on it with very high output and dark sound. i have not measure it yet, but i'm going to do it soon. they are very strange pu to me and i'm interested to know more. i have the feeling there are many t-top type. maybe i'm wrong.

9. bertrand4070

bertrand4070 Senior Member

here are some pictures. are they really the same as the others with the embossed number ? not the same price for sure.

Attached Files:

10. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

Just wondering in from 1967 to 1971 did the T-top change at all?
    I am interested in what would have been in michael schenkers medalion V's?

11. alexisgt

alexisgt Member

I have the exact same pickups.
    Only with sticker without numbers stamped right into the metal.

Beautiful, classic les paul sound.

Any info on these?
    (year production, value etc)

12. boney bones lee

boney bones lee Senior Member

13. BensonCustom

BensonCustom Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with these. I had pulled these out of a guitar I picked up at a Pawn shop about 20 years ago. I've had plans of selling these recently, but I wanted to gather up any info on trying to date the pickups. I don't want to steer anybody wrong on my T-tops, but I certainly do not want to undersell them.

Measurements are 7.41K and 7.64K , labels are black with a clear outside edge.
    Pole pieces were originally gold, but the top plating has flaked off.

The only issue I need to mention is that on one pickup, a person didn't use the right screws and it flared the threads mildly....The correct 3-48 screw will still hold it in place , but I feel I need to mention it.

Any help is greatly appreciated ......Thanks guys

Attached Files:

14. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

These seem to be the 67-74 T-Tops. Great pickups btw. - very dynamic, articulate and musical. :)

15. kakao

kakao Senior Member

In brief, T-Tops are one of the best, if not the best pups ever produced, mass production or winders .. (IMHO) ...

:dude:

1 person likes this.