Gibson T-top pickups ?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Zibson, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Zibson

Zibson Member

Can anyone tell me something about this pickups. Anything you know. I got them on mu LP but I don't know nothing obuth them.

Patent No
    2,737 842

2. twinrider1

twinrider1 Senior Member

Is the Patent No. a decal or is it stamped right into the metal? The decal (sticker) is the earlier T-Top, up to '74 (I think). After that they stamped it into the base plate itself.

3. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

If you have T-Tops with patent # stickers,do not....I repeat,DO NOT get rid of them.Especially if they are mid '60s.

Kris Ford likes this.
  4. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

I've got a pair of stickered T Tops in my 74 Custom, I really, really like these pickups.

Afaik the stamped pat # carries on past the T Top though. Have you checked to make sure the bobbins have the T on them?

5. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

T Tops were extinct by 1980 I think. Tim Shaw took over winding pickups in late 78 early 79 and his design went into Customs and Heritage Standards after 80.

6. Zibson

Zibson Member

The Patent No. is on a black sticker.

7. twinrider1

twinrider1 Senior Member

8. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

nice. Keep them.

9. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Yep! They will be worth quite a bit more in the near future. They're already sweet Gibson pickups, and are probably worth a fortune as is.

10. gw1980

gw1980 Senior Member

I have just acquired a set of T-Tops but they weren't marked for whcih would be the bridge and which the neck. I know one has a T on each coil of the pickup, and one has only one.

Thanks

11. Blues Power

Blues Power V.I.P. Member

mine came on my 80. I remember they were heavy sounding with very little sustain or bite. i ditched them back in 81 and never thought about them again until recently when I keep seeing threads like this pop up

i have no idea where they are today but i do not remember a sticker on them

theres a big demand for them nowadays i wish i can find mine and maybe give them a 2nd chance or throw them on ebay for some cash

12. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

I'm getting a cheap archtop next week...hopefully by the 21st. I'm really, really tempted to put these into it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: These are the original pickups out of my '80 LP Custom...

snikker likes this.
  13. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

I'm going to edit this post to remove a mistaken thought so as to not create any further confusion to any readers...

I don't think there is any difference between a bridge or neck t-top pickup.

I don't know if the 'T' exists on both sides of the bobbin. If not, then perhaps the bobbin without the T is upside down.

Are these are patent number 'stickered' t-tops? If so then maybe they are early ones in which one of the bobbins is a left over PAF style bobbin without a 'T'.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  14. Peaceman

Peaceman Senior Member

Isn't the point of the 'T' to mark which way the bobbin goes for the person assembling the pickup? So both bobbins should have a 'T' stamped on the top to show they are made the right way up?

15. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

NOTE: I'd like to edit this post to say that my comment in it regarding phase is mistaken. I believe now that it makes no difference which way a pickup faces and that the only way to change the phase is to reverse the wires (ground and hot) or the magnet.

These two 'T' tops have the 'T' on the forward edge of the pickup, which is also the adjustable pole piece bobbin. But the other pickup has the forward non-adjustable poles on the forward bobbin, and yet the 'T' remains on its' forward edge. I don't think where it is makes any difference

I think what you are saying is correct. But I don't think that what I said is inconsistent with that - unless I'm misunderstanding something about humbucker polarity.

Don't neck and bridge pickups have to be inherently out of phase (either by what direction their wire is wound or by what direction their magnet sits) in order to be in phase when they are installed in a guitar - being that they are installed in reversed physical directions?

The attached photo (click to enlarge) show two 'T' tops sitting as they would in a guitar. They are in phase as they sit. The neck pup has the 'T' on the forward edge of the pickup, which is also the adjustable pole piece bobbin. But the bridge pickup has the forward non-adjustable poles on the forward bobbin, and yet the 'T' remains on its' forward edge.

I could be misconstruing something though.

Attached Files:

• t.jpg
      t.jpg
      File size:
      73.6 KB
      Views:
  16. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

No, that is the point of a humbucker, you would need the out of phase between pickups on single coils - to cut the 'hum'. A humbucker is built that way.

I don't know that the 'T's are always facing the correct direction. They could be.

Turning the neck pickup around (ala Peter Green) may pick up a tiny bit more treble as the screws are closer to the bridge, but that's all it does.

17. Peaceman

Peaceman Senior Member

I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, i don't know either:laugh2:

I have a later one with the PAT number stamped in the base, when i got it i remember someone saying something about the 'T' being at the top for the low paid burger flippers they had at the time assembling them so it made it harder to get wrong (this is only what i heard so i'm just pasing it on)

My one has both 'T's facing each other in the middle, i've only seen them like that, i only just looked at your picture with the 'T's facing in one direction so i find that very interesting (i guess that makes me a geek:laugh2:)

18. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

I think I was confused in assuming that a neck and bridge pup had to be different in their relative phase design, being that they sit reversed form one another.

I've always put phase switches in my guitars, so I never bothered to notice what differences there are between a neck or bridge pup.

19. monroe

monroe Senior Member

My 76 custom shipped with stickered T-tops. It's a strange guitar: made in Kazoo, no pancake, stickered T-tops and a '76 ser#. The bridge was OK, a little dark, but the guitar also shipped with 300K pots. The neck pickup was just unusable no matter what I tried. Dark and muddy. I ended up pulling them both within a year of buying the guitar (new) and they banged around in my parts bin until I finally eBay'd them about 5 years ago. I think they went for 37 dollars!!!

20. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

That's strange because T tops usually have great highs. Maybe it was the pots, or maybe the pot was defective, or something was wired wrong. But to get stickered T tops in a '76 is also strange, even with (I assume gold pickup) custom.

I also just want to add that I now realize I was mistaken about how reversed phase can be achieved, and that the only way to change phase is to either reverse the hot and grounds of one pickup or slide out and rotate the magnet of one.