Gibson Standard Help

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by sT0rM, Feb 28, 2018.

1. sT0rM

sT0rM Member

Well i´ve to see first in a Music Store what i prefer, then i will decide :D
    I will buy a Custom or a Standard one.
    But i think, i will go with a lovely Standard one. :)

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  2. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

No no, my Friend. As @scozz said, Standards generally have rosewood. There have been some special issues with ebony (like the Standard Special of mid 2000s) but mostly rosewood. In 2012 some of them had fretboards that were made of 2 thinner pieces of rosewood stacked on each other due to shortages from wood seizure

My 07 Custom had a 60s thin profile, but I think the Custom necks tend to run a bit thicker??

scozz likes this.
  3. cherrysunburst00

Your best bet is to do just that--go to the store and see which one FEELS RIGHT to you. You should know within 5 minutes about the "feel" If it doesn't "feel" right, wait until you find one that does. OR if you order one, as @scozz (I THINK) said, get one from a place that accepts returns.

Your first Lester is special.

bulletproof and scozz like this.
  4. sT0rM

sT0rM Member

I should definitely do this my friend.
    I´ve just heard that, not sure if true, didn´t meant to lester. :)

5. crazytrain513

crazytrain513 Senior Member

It seems like you’ve been doing your homework. As many have mentioned, with Gibson, you never really know. The necks are shaped by hand and many years they had both profiles. In some cases, what one person claims to be a 60s neck you might think is more a 59 neck and someone else might call that a “50s baseball neck”.

They are really all over the place .

Your best bet would be to play them both. Otherwise you really can’t know. And since you have the option, I would do that otherwise you’re gambling a bit!

I wouldn’t say any one year is better than the other, especially two guitars that close in age. What’s nice is you don’t seem to have played many Les Pauls so you’re not exactly “partial” to one or the other and can grow with whichever one you buy and stick with.

The Slash necks are “60s necks” and while many consider those to be “thin,” I’d say “thinner” would be a better word.

And through the neck, the shape changes so each one will feel a bit different and you should pick the one that feels better to you. There’s no right answer except the one you prefer.

I had a 2011 Les Paul Custom and now a 2010. All else equal, they were both identical in terms of specs. The difference is that 2011 felt fatter because around the 12th fret as it was reaching 50s neck specs and my current 2010 is thinner around that area so for leads, it feels easier to play for me, having smaller hands.

Customs have their own kinda profile going on (generally fatter unless you buy one from the 70s or 80s) but both sellers claimed that the guitars felt like 60s necks.

The 2010 sounded noticeably better despite the pickups, wiring, construction being the same.

All else equal, the weight and neck profile of the guitar are the only things you can’t change so as long as you get those right, sound can be adjusted to taste.

But the better it sounds in the beginning, the more you’ll be able to adjust it to your liking.

All guitars have an underlying tone and the best way to hear that is to play both unplugged. Some will sound louder, some quieter, some brighter and some darker. It all depends on what you’re looking for.

Record each one unplugged when you try it if you can and then compare. If both necks feel good, pick the one with better tone to your ears.

Of course if you don’t like the feel of one, then the other one might be the obvious choice.

Finding the right one is a long journey for many and how this forum stays alive and Gibson makes money! You may not like either of them and have to venture on to other opportunities but hopefully you find what you’re looking for amongst these two and your journey is shorter.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  6. John Vasco

John Vasco I'm with the band V.I.P. Member

I've been gigging since 1969. I still gig now.

I have a '76 Deluxe
    I have a '91 Custom
    I have a 2009 '08 Standard
    I have a 2009 Custom Shop Junior
    I have a 2014 Custom Shop SG/LP Standard

Know what my No. 1 is for gigging?
    The 2009 '08 Standard
    [​IMG]

The full herd
    [​IMG]

I always take one of the others to gigs as backup.

The point being, only you can decide what is best for YOU. And don't constrict yourself to particular years, or periods...

7. sT0rM

sT0rM Member

Yeah, you are right. I just should test them and finding one, what i prefer.
    Don´t get me wrong now, but the Slash Profiles are D its i think between a 50s and 60s neck or i´m wrong?

8. sT0rM

sT0rM Member

@John Vasco Yeah, i should find the right one for me.

9. sT0rM

sT0rM Member

Hey guys, i was now in a Music Store.
    I‘ve tested a Gibson Classic with a Slim Taper profile, and it was realy comfortable to play. It was realy awesome i felt so good on it....

My question is now, which standards has the 60s profiles? And what do u think about a 2007 Gibson Classic?

10. crazytrain513

11. Christosterone

Christosterone Premium Member

My number one is a 2007 classic...

It’s the best guitar I’ve ever owned....and it ain’t even close...

I have no clue why exactly but it’s the one I always pick up first...

My favorite models are classics to be sure but 07 is the perfect guitar...
    I love e sound of 496/500 rolled down off volume and tone adjusting...

The guitar gets very little love online but, for me, it’s the best I own or have ever played...

-Chris

cherrysunburst00 and bulletproof like this.
  12. sT0rM

sT0rM Member

Thanks for your reply!

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...buttons&utm_medium=social&utm_content=app_ios

can anybody maybe tell me, if this is a fake?! because i‘ve looked on the serial number and it doesn‘t match on the Gibson site. This one might be my favorite to get.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Christosterone likes this.
  13. sT0rM

sT0rM Member

The seller also says, that he has the Bill of it. But i want to be 100% that this one is not a Fake, because i‘m afraid of it.

Christosterone likes this.
  14. Christosterone

Looks great to me...

The inlays will get cooler with age...they get a TON of personality as u play it...

You’re lucky the “1960” is not rubbed off...
    Those guards are hard to come by...

To me, there is no equal to the 496r/500t combo....though I’m kinda on an island with that..
    But it is the meanest, most easy to play guitar on earth...and sounds like heaven...

@Donal has that EXACT guitar...maybe his is an 06

-Chris

15. Christosterone

My 07 cherry burst vs the sellers(I added the nickel covers and bigsby)
    Looks perfect to my eye but many more experts on MLP than me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Chris

sT0rM and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  16. cherrysunburst00

Unless you're committed to a Classic (and they're perfectly great guitars; just answering your question) 2000/01 through about 2004 Standards came with 50s and 60s neck profiles.

You have LOTS of terrific options. How exciting,

Christosterone and sT0rM like this.
  17. sT0rM

sT0rM Member

To be honest, i‘m not sure, what i should get. A Standard or Classic :D from 2000-2004 came the standard with 50 and 60s?! how should i know, if it has the 60s neck, if i have to buy immediately?

18. sT0rM

sT0rM Member

19. crazytrain513

I might add that the early 2000 Classics are some of the most sought after Classics out there. If you look for one of those you're easily playing Standard money, sometimes more, for one.

People really dug those. I haven't had the opportunity of playing one yet.

Obviously Chris filled you in on 2007.

I currently have a 2015 Gibson "Traditional Classic ABR" model too which is great. Basically just a Classic plaintop without the nasty 2015 specs and all the standard appointments: slim-taper neck, nickel hardware, ABR1 bridge, binding, nibs, 57 Classic pickups, etc.

I take all my guitars to my personal luthier for proper setup when I get them and he said it was easily one of the best guitars he'd ever worked on (and he has two clients who bring him their 59's so just saying!).

In case you wanted more options. Lol.

20. sT0rM

sT0rM Member

Thanks for your reply. I still dont know, which one i will buy.
    But one think is sure, i want one with the ebony finish.
    After looking on Ebay and Reverb, i just found the 2007 Classic for Sale.
    If i found any other Gibson like a Standard i will let u guys know.
    But i think, i will go with the 2007 probably.

Take Care~