Gibson SGLes Paul Jr ? - What do I have here ?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by BA-CHEE, Aug 26, 2017.

1. spikeymikey

spikeymikey Junior Member

If I were you I'd get a set of Gotoh style or proper Kluson direct replacements for that. Nice though they are, heavy Grovers will cause even worse neck dive than it already has and if the capstans are higher, alter the break angle of the strings across the headstock which will give a different feel to the strings, that's what I've found anyway.

2. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

BA-CHEE,

You asked above how to tell if tuners are slipping, and I couldn't find where you got an answer. Here's the way I do it. I tune up the guitar, pick a string, and do a big old two-finger bend as far as I can. Do this with each string. If any strings go seriously flat, the tuners for those strings are slipping.

3. Oatie

Oatie Member

I was just at Bailey Building & Loan and George gave me $ 17.50 so I would not need to go running to Potter. Will $ 17.50 buy the misfit toy SG? OR do I need to go back to the North Pole and the land for misfit toys and look for a 65 SG there?

4. BA-CHEE

BA-CHEE Senior Member

Well , I finally had a few $$$ after paying my bills, so I took this SG Jr to my guitar tech. He took me to his work bench in the back so that we could evaluate "the problem" of not staying in tune. He first tuned up the guitar and pressed and wiggled the headstock where the break was located at. It did not move, so he further looked at the glued area at the "break" , he said it looked solid, although it was UGLY , he stated that it was solid because if it was not then there would be a break in the "bead" that ran along the broken area. The next thing he did was look at the nut , and sure as shit , it had shifted as shown in the previous posted pics. So he said let's see what's causing this. He slackened the strings so that he could look at the nut, ... well , well, well, .the nut had slid to one side because it was sitting on top of a make shift spacer , which looked like , ... it was made from a matchbook cover. Whoever did it, had cut two slivers of the matchbook in the size that appoxiamated the width of the nut and glued it to the guitar's nut channel, and also put a dab of glue to the underside of the nut itself , ... WTF ??? - so he offered to either recut the old one , or install a new one, ... now I was thinking why in the hell you would cut the old one when it is already to low for the nut channel ( Go Figure ? ) - In any case , I told him to cut a new one. I left the guitar with him for about a week , and when I went to pick it up, he stated that it was "fixed" !!! - he even left it tuned up for a week and there was no strings that came outta tune. Whew , .. so now , .. I am thinking of selling it off , and perhaps put the money into refinishing the other SG Junior that I got stashed. ... Wonder what this SG Jr is worth ? ?? Any Comments ? - Should I just post and ask for a Million Bucks or Best Offer , ... and take the Best Offer ? ( Because you gotta post a price in the members' classified section ) ... What do you guys out there recommend ? :hmm:

5. Dolebludger

Got your PM, which I think referred to this thread. Believing your expert, it wasn't poor neck repair that was the problem, it was a loose nut. I'd do a bunch of nasty two-finger bends to see if the slippage is really fixed. If it is, what you do with it is sort of up to you. Play it a while to see if you bond. If now, ask the expert you saw what to price the guitar at.

6. BA-CHEE

BA-CHEE Senior Member

Thanks for the information , ... I already got my heart in the other SG Jr. ... so this one will probably go , .. it's just too hard for me to post it knowing the problems that it has been having , and I DO NOT want to screw anyone outta their hard earned bucks , ... guess, I'll sit on it for a while. My guitar tech is not really into pricing guitars , but I'll go and ask him for a "fair" price for this guitar. Again THANK YOU for your recommendations pertaining to the problems of this guitar.

7. Dolebludger

BA CHEE,

To price it go to Reverb and or ebay and look for this model of similar year with similar problems. You can see the ask and the sell. And I like it that you want to be honest with potential buyers. I don't think the problem with the nut is such a big deal. But (as you know) the neck break IS a big deal and your ad should show pics of it, just like in this thread.

8. BA-CHEE

BA-CHEE Senior Member

Yes , ... I DO NOT want to get ripped off by someone , so why should I rip off any one else ? - And that is why my handle is BA-Chee . In any case , now I gotta go to my VINTAGE Parts Bins and locate the P90 for this geetar , then solder it into the guitar and let it "rip" ... then I'll decide on a "fair" price , with FULL DISCLOSURE.

9. Dolebludger

Good for you, sir. I once sold a Mesa amp on the MLP member classified. Fortunately, the buyer did not live far away, so I invited him to my home to inspect the amp. He found the amp in mint physical shape and he asked me why I was selling it, and I told him the truth. For what I play, I sounded like crap on that amp! I insisted he test play it, and I gave him the choice of my guitars to use, as he brought none of his own. He did the test play, and I heard the best live Southern Rock ever! I don’t play in that genre. I also told him that the reverb was so “mild” that it couldn’t be heard, and he said that was common in Mesas and he could easily fix it. Then he pulled out cash in the amount of $25 more than my ask and gave it to me. I corrected him and gave that money back.

I have had email contact with the buyer since and he has reported he is delighted with the amp. That’s the only way I do business, and I’m happy to hear that this is true of you also.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  10. BA-CHEE

BA-CHEE Senior Member

For those interested , I have posted this SG Jr in the Classified Section.

deadlyweasel likes this.