Gibson SGLes Paul Jr ? - What do I have here ?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by BA-CHEE, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Was gonna say that is a '63 heel..those are original tuners (raw brass shafts) and will actually get the job done IF the nut is well cut.

2. BA-CHEE

BA-CHEE Senior Member

Thanks Dolebludger , ... I appreciate your comments on this matter. I think the best bet for me is not to mess with it and sell it as a "project" guitar, with FULL DISCLOSURE of the headstock problem. Then maybe I can use the bucks off of this sale to refinish my other SG Jr that had its finish sanded off - but this one has a binded fretboard - I never knew that SG Jrs had binded fretboard ( ???? ).

3. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

BA-CHEE,

I think you have a good idea. I never advise posters to do this, as many have emotional attachments to a particular guitar. But it is often good advice. If you try to have this guitar restored to even a playable condition (forgetting about cosmetics) you are going to invest $hundreds in it, and many $hundreds more it you fix the cosmetics. If it is not worth it to you (it would not be worth it to me) your idea to dispose of it is good.

4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Bound board were usually white..and '64-'65...

5. BA-CHEE

BA-CHEE Senior Member

And Now , ... to figure a price on selling this SG Jr, ... I don't remember what I paid for this , I guess I gotta look through my files, IF I even have a receipt for it, it has been so long ago that I got it . What would be a fair price ? Because I know you gotta post a price in the Classified Section. Perhaps ask a million bucks :run::rofl: , and then accept the Best Offer ? How should I go about selling this ? :hmm:

6. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Those break at the neck heels all the time and the finish looks bursted darker in that spot (common with heel repairs). Possible, if there is an actual wood movement issue, that it's at the heel and not the head.

7. BA-CHEE

BA-CHEE Senior Member

I definitely know that the finish was sanded off , as there is NO GLOSS, or any type of crazing in the finish.
    The only unsanded part is the face of the headstock because there is crazing there. The serial number of this bound necked Jr is 287270. What year would this guitar be ?

8. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

That serial number would indicate 1965, but that's not always a slam dunk. It seems the further into the '60s you get, the more the features have to be used in dating.

9. BA-CHEE

BA-CHEE Senior Member

Well, I got a chance to get that bound neck SG JR outta storage, and took some quick pics (because the battery indicator on my camera started going south) here's them pics :

G 3.JPG

These tuners can't be ORIGINAL eh ? - They're too white !!!

G 1.JPG

Notice the white binding along the fret board , never seen this before .

G 2.JPG

and finally a pic of the backside of this geetar , .. since it is structurally sound, perhaps
    it would be a good candidate for a refin , whatcha all think ?

bossaddict and deadlyweasel like this.
  10. bossaddict

I think the other side of the tuners would give a better indication as to their originality. I wouldn't count them out just on the clean buttons.

As mentioned above, some SG Juniors have either actual binding or faux binding. They're usually Polaris White, but can be custom colors as well. My Pelham Blue '65 has binding.

11. BA-CHEE

BA-CHEE Senior Member

Well, had a chance to take pics of the harness , one of em pots date this to a 1965 , the other one has solder over the alpha/numerals so I can't tell the dates on that one.

Jr 1.JPG

deadlyweasel likes this.
  12. BA-CHEE

BA-CHEE Senior Member

Okay, so I took some random shots of the tuners from the front side of the headstock. Do you think that these are ORIGINAL tuners ? - Also I noticed in some of the wood pores that are in the harness cavity - that there are some white color to the pores , so perhathis guitar must have been Polaris White at one time.

S 2.JPG

S 3.JPG

S 5.JPG

deadlyweasel likes this.
  13. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I thought so!
    That is for sure a '65 SN# as well.
    So pretty sure that is a '65...that used to be white. :D

14. bossaddict

Tuners are not original.

15. BA-CHEE

BA-CHEE Senior Member

Just as I thought also , thanks for your input, I appreciate it , ... :dude:

bossaddict likes this.
  16. BA-CHEE

BA-CHEE Senior Member

And So I went to see my friend , and he still had the P90 Pickup that we swapped outta my SG LP JR , ... according to him , his SG JR was a 1965. Here's some pics of the P90 that was in his guitar and was also attached to the harness that is in my SG LP JR , ... what kinda pickup is it ? Is it ORIGINAL ? Has it been modified ?

P90 1.JPG P90 2.JPG P90 3.JPG

Attached Files:

17. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

My old '65 Jr was a 274XXX SN#, and was '65 so I knew this was too.
    Looks like the original pickup..that has been coil tapped..so modded..one of our winders here I'm sure could straighten it out.

18. Dolebludger

BA-CHEE,

You sent me some sort of PM and asked the value of your Junior. I tried to respond, but found that I was limited to 140 characters, in which I couldn't give an answer. So here is my answer.

BA-CHEE. I must confess that I don't know the values of mid-60s juniors, especially with the headstock break issues. Were I you, I would first get an expert luthier's opinion of the severity of of the break, the structural quality of the repair, and whether there has been any repair at all. And if you can get the original pup and harness, it will increase the probable price considerably. All I can say is that I have seen Juniors of this era with original pups and harness, and either no breaks or pro repair breaks for sale asking $2900. Don't know whether they sold that high or not. If you would go to such a luthier and find out the deal on the headstock break, and then tell me the verdict, I could answer better. As the guitar was presented on the thread, my uneducated estimate would be in the $500 - $1000 range. But if the neck is sound and just needs some finish work and a new nut, and if you get the original pup and harness, it could be much higher.

19. BA-CHEE

BA-CHEE Senior Member

Thanks for the information , ... I am tipping the scale toward selling the whole "Kit and Kaboodle" as a "project" guitar - and take the money towards restoring the SGJr that has the white binding on its fret board. :hmm:

20. Dolebludger

BA-CHEE,

Seriously, take the guitar to a pro luthier (or several) for opinions on the headstock situation. I wouldn't want you to cheat yourself, or cheat any buyer. Most luthiers will give you their opinion of a problem at no cost to you. Like maybe the headstock break has been repaired stronger than hell, and all that is needed is a refinish of the repaired area and a new nut properly installed. Then the guitar is worth more. Or maybe the break has never been repaired and needs to be broken free and re-glued and finished. Then the guitar would be worth less. We really can't tell these things from pics. Were it me, I would want to sell that guitar too, as a project guitar. But first I'd want to know what is up about the headstock break, so I could price it accordingly.