Gibson SGJ Basic Inexpensive SG 24 Fret 490R & 490T Pups

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by rednefceleb, Feb 16, 2018.

1. rednefceleb

rednefceleb Senior Member

Hello. Am just discovering this guitar. The Gibson SGJ. It's an SG that looks very much like "The Paul" from the 70's I believe it was. Does anyone out there own one or have firsthand knowledge of this one? They look kind of collectible. I was wondering about their play-ability. Thanks. :D

bulletproof, Biddlin and endial like this.
  2. gball

gball Senior Member

I had a 2014 one for a couple of years. I really regret getting rid of it.

Wouldn't call them collectible in the traditional sense. They were a budget model and the essence of "players guitar." No frills, but really well-made and the '61 pickups are awesome (so good I am thinking about buying a 2018 SG Standard just to have a guitar with them. Right now I have a 2017 with the '57's). The 2014 ones had a chunky maple neck and to me that was the best feature of the guitar, really brought something to the sound that the 'hog necks don't quite have. It set-up and played as good as any guitar that I have, at a fraction of the price, and was nice and light.

I think you can find them pretty reasonably priced on Reverb and the 'bay, and definitely worth looking at.

endial and rednefceleb like this.
  3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

and it looks like... ? pix?

rednefceleb likes this.
  4. rednefceleb

Here below. :) I like the simplicity. It's a 24 fret HH SG Junior....only new generation.
    Gibson SG junior SGJ 2013 Dark brown satin[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    northernguitarguy and endial like this.
  5. rednefceleb

Collectible in the 'way down the road' sense. No, not today at all. Right you are :)

6. gball

gball Senior Member

This is the one I used to have. This happened to be during a short time when I had a DF in the bridge position.

[​IMG]

7. rednefceleb

I loaded the pic of the one I'm talking about. <Above>.:lol:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  8. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Collectible - Assume nothing new is........ever. This aspect shouldn't be any part of a decision for anyone buying a mass-produced guitar.
    Playability.....well Gibson doesn't make a single guitar that is made only for hanging on a wall. So they will all be playable - some needing more work than others depending on the QC guys and how stressed out they are from HJ's obsessive controlling nature.

As to how it will play to you......only you know this answer. The only remedy is to find somewhere that stocks them and see how they feel to you......a step you will need to repeat for every future guitar you might want to buy.

kiko and northernguitarguy like this.
  9. ktj

ktj Senior Member

i have one and love it! has such a bite and a super thick neck. i remember watching a chappers/captain lee video and then seeing them on sale. it was a great xmas present and so much lighter than my LP that it became my go to more often than not.
    my post is here: http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/sgj-ngd.279081/
    love the fact you can see the grain. i've enjoyed this guitar so much...I highly recommend them!

rednefceleb likes this.
  10. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Chunky neck is the way to go on an SG. I know people complain about dive, but mine is a handful and it feels perfect.

rednefceleb likes this.
  11. rednefceleb

Maybe the $8000.00 Gibson Custom Shop lightly reliced '59er L.P.'s are new guitars that might be considered collectible. I'm not sure. About 'playability': I ask 'cause some Gibsons do play better than others. I've played L.P. Studios that were a little rough around the edges, almost 'clunky'. I'm not too sure about the new releases of L.P. Juniors/Specials and Melodymakers either. About the SGJ being 'collectible' is that in my opinion, based on their simplicity/good looks, they may very well become one of the coveted Junior guitars out there <down the road>. Not today of course. I'm gonna buy one while they're still cheap, in case they do become scarce and popular. Thanks for your opinion:).

12. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

You will never get more value from selling the guitar than the amount you spend on it in the first place - save for one or two 'fluke' models like the government series. Even then I think they would have settled down now.......and will depreciate just like any other guitar.

The custom shop ones are the worst of the lot generally speaking.

13. rednefceleb

I like the 2003, I think partly because of the black pup covers. I've had the 490R on a guitar but never played a 490T @ the bridge. As a whole, I like Gibson pups very much. Yeah, a simple 2003 SGJ in plain walnut <no burst>.:thumb:

14. rednefceleb

Yeah, Custom Shops are way overpriced as a rule. I agree that if you buy say a Fender American Strat <new>, you will never realize what you paid for it unless you sell it after 30 years or something, which would be just lame. I prefer used guitars anyway. Tried and true, broken in, ready for playing.:D

15. rednefceleb

[​IMG] If this guitar was stock on the open exchange, I would buy as much as I could as a long term investment. To me....it's a perfect guitar.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  16. Riffster

Riffster Senior Member

I just picked one, the 2013 model and I like it a whole lot, now my other two Gibson SGs are gone. These SGJs are really well made for the reviews i see and I agree.

This is my first experience with 490T and 490R pickups and they are staying, I may experiment with an alnico 4 magnet that I already have on the bridge to get a bit more bite but I do like the voicing of the pickup.

I am really happy with mine, I almost bought a 2014 when they came out and then regretted it, later I just did not want the 2014 inlay and decided to look for a used 2013 and I am glad I did.

I added one of those pickguards available on ebay, i already have it fits great and I am putting nickel no-hole covers on the pickups. I also swapped the tuners for bean knob tuners also in nickel.

[​IMG]

kasu, garybaldy and rednefceleb like this.
  17. rednefceleb

I love nickel. When I finally get a 2013 SGJ I'm gonna keep all of the black stuff. Those pickguards are super perfect. Nice huh? :)

18. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

This SGJ was cheaper than the SG Special, too much black plastic IMHO

rednefceleb likes this.
  19. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

You'll never ever realise what you paid for it no matter what you pay. If later you sell it for the same amount of dollars you paid, those dollars will buy less than what they did when you bought the guitar.

rednefceleb likes this.
  20. rednefceleb

Marketing. It's a business. Reliced guitars are marketing. Take a Strat with a few flaws @ the factory, relic it, sell it for double. :).