Gibson SG, better then the Gibson les paul ???

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by FLICKOFLASH, Mar 31, 2007.

1. mudfinger

mudfinger Thanks for the memories. V.I.P. Member

Not an SG owner, but liking the tone, I've played a few, but none with something like a vibrola or bigsby, which prolly would balance the guitar more to my tastes. If the SG feels balanced to you, which I don't doubt at all, how does an LP feel? I like the balance on those, all the weight is between the strap buttons. Might just be a preference thing? They sure do sound great, those SGs. :dude:

2. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

The strap is what determines how the guitar sits on you.
    I have one that makes my SG top heavy and one that doesn't.

3. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

mudfinger:

A LP feels well balanced to me, though heavier than the SG. Not too heavy though for 45 minute sets.

I also agree that the strap, and its design, can make a difference in the balance of a guitar. I can't explain why this is so, but it is.

4. Dolebludger

Oh, yeah, one more thing about LPs and straps. If you look closely at one, you'll notice that the front strap button is mounted on the front top bout, AND is angled slightly upward. This means that the weight of the guitar tends to pull the strap off at the front, and this has caused many broken necks and headstocks. Straplocks are a must-have for LPs.

5. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I find SGs more comfortable to play, the way they sit is perfect for my playing style I guess. The LP, being so much more thick, sticks out and over long periods of playing, it makes my right arm tired faster. Also I'm finding the upper fret access on the SGs very addictive, my Flying V has the same access (more even I suppose) but its more awkward to play

6. Dolebludger

Well, I have read on a number of posts in a number of forums that players find SGs to be "neck heavy". I have had other players tell me this. Of course, this hasn't been my personal experience at all. But I don't doubt the truthfulness of those posters and players. Next time I visit a large music store, I will strap on several SGs (and SG copies too) and see if some are neck heavy. If so, I'll try to figure out why.

The LP vs. SG thing comes out to this for me. If I am going to be playing in a small, intimate venue at subdued volume, I'll take the LP for its tonal character and greater low-volume sustain. If I am going to "crank it up" in a large venue and play harder stuff, I'll take the SG for its high volume sympathetic vibration sustain and its clear, singing high volume tone. The SG sort of gives you that semi-hollow body effect, without the feedback. This is why we all need to have one of each!

7. marc1kim

marc1kim Senior Member

8. marantz1300

marantz1300 Senior Member

I have both.A 71 Les Paul and a 76 SG.The biggest differance is how they feel.They both sound like Gibsons,little less/more sustain,little more/less bite.Its a personal thing.I'm toying with letting the SG go,maybe getting a Tele or Strat for a bigger differance in tones.[​IMG]

9. circusboy28

circusboy28 Senior Member

How about - if you find a good one then it's all good.?