Gibson SG, better then the Gibson les paul ???

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by FLICKOFLASH, Mar 31, 2007.

1. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

I think if you were able to ask Eric Clapton, Mick Taylor, Tony Iommi, Derek Trucks, Carlos Santana, Duane Allman, or Angus Young .... you might get a different point of view than yours. All of them believed that the SG was more than suitable for lead playing.

It's whatever fits the style of music or song that you are playing. :dude:

2. Scarab Exec

Scarab Exec Senior Member

I once had a mid '60s SG as in SGman's avatar. This is what I remember about it from 25 years ago: It was a very well made and light weight guitar. Acoustically it sounded like a banjo. The neck was very fat, the fattest Gibson neck I've ever owned. The PAF pickups were nowhere near as strong as pickups are these days. The guitar had a very signature tone to it that the early 70's and 1995 SG's I had did not have. While I was not a tone chaser as a kid **all I wanted was loud and distorted** that old SG easily copped the exact 'tones' from a lot of my favorite 60's bands. I really thought nothing of it then but looking back I've never again owned such a toneful guitar:(

I won't say that the SG is better than the Les Paul, but,...that SG was better than any LP I've ever played.

3. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Member

4. JonMan94

JonMan94 Senior Member

I think there both great guitars, but each has their own advantages:

Les paul: sustain's awsome, but its heavy :(

SG: Light, and fast, but akward strap placement :confused:

and remember that SGs were the orginal redesigns of the les paul too.

I LOVE THEM BOTH :laugh2: :laugh2:

5. kuang89

kuang89 Junior Member

i'm no christian n no offences to them...but if les pauls were adam, then eve would be the sg...

it's the image they portray ultimately tat sets them apart...like ur weapon of choice...a les paul is like a claymore or broadsword...n sg is the samurai sword...u dun see their famous welders using the other...imagine, angus young being petite n all welds a 13 lbs les paul? or tony iommi tilting the les paul the other way round to play it...

however...i feel tat if u play guitar, there is no one guitar concept...it should be a paganism type of guitar...u r wat u play...

yes another long post!!!

6. Droog

Droog Senior Member

:shock:

What?

:D

7. Huey

Huey Senior Member

great way to explain that man, +100000

8. i am wet

i am wet Senior Member

What is wrong with the guy in the video, he says LPs are used alot, and Sgs are better because they aren't??? How does that work, if a guitar is really popular doesn't that mean everyone is happy with it.

Note: I do like Sgs, I'm not thrashing on Sgs lovers but that guy is just sad cuzz he can't get a LP.

9. 07rogersg

07rogersg Senior Member

That is beautiful!

10. Eminor

Eminor Junior Member

As stated above, own both!

I played a 69 SG Standard exclusively for a long, long time. Was very lucky to find it cheap almost 25 years ago. Fat neck, had Bartolini pickups in it when I bought it - always sounded awesome. I've never taken them out to see what model they are though. It's not neck heavy and has never given me any problems, and at times I used to really beat on it. About the only original things left on it now are the pots and selector switch :D It's one of the best guitars I've ever played, maybe THE best.

But nowadays it spends a lot of time in its case while a couple MIJ Les Pauls get all the play time (OK I know they aren't Gibsons). Lately my #1 is a '96 Burny Super Grade. :wow: I finally 'got' the LP thing and have come to prefer the thicker sound and singing sustain. The weight was another matter, when I put the SG on now it feels like balsa wood! But you get used to it, a nice wide strap and after a while I hardly noticed.

Recently I used both for recording - actually there was an Epiphone Japan LP in there as well - and while they all sounded great, I never considered using the SG for leads. It would get the job done but just not the same tone I prefer now. I'll probably never use it live again either, the neck join feels very fragile to me now that I'm so used to LPs. But I'll never let it go, it's such an all-round great instrument.

You need both. No question. :D

11. Chrislespaul

Chrislespaul Junior Member

theyre both great guitars :slash: , but sorry i do prefer the sg because its cheaper and in my opinion plays a bit better, with the easy access to the higher frets and all, but that could just be because my fav group is acdc :dude:

12. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

It's my fingers not my guitar.

13. dazzypig

dazzypig Senior Member

Doesn't it say something on the Gibson site about the SG being Gibson's most sold design since it's introduction? (I'm not asking that as a sarcastic question BTW, I think it does, but I'm not sure).

I love my SG, but when I finally get my 59 style LP, that'll be MY guitar if you know what I mean.

Not sure I'd part with my SG though, the thing just screams when you lay into it, great guitars.

14. Trea

Trea Senior Member

They are different animals for sure. I've had a lot more Les Paul's than I've had SG's but I do like them. I usually keep one around. Currently it's a 08 SG special faded and it's a really great guitar. No "for the money" disclaimer needed. There are a few things I'll probably do to it down the line. As of now the only mods are a RS vintage kit which made a big difference.

15. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Need to have a hefty hunk o' both. Can't be without either.

[​IMG]

16. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

The only SG I have ever played is my real, original '61 LP SG standard. Perhaps other SGs have different characteristics, but mine isn't at all neck heavy and is very comfortable to play at a long gig. Perhaps that heavy side-pull trem on mine provides counter-balance? I've played a number of LPs, and presently own an Epi "56" GT P90. From my perspective, it seems that the LPs have better sustain at lower volumes due to their greater mass, but the SGs pick up a lot of sustain at higher volumes (perhaps surpassing the LP) as their light bodies tend to resonate with the amplified tone. For some reason the SG seems to get a better jazz tone than any LP I've played -- but that may just be my individual guitar. Both the LP and the SG are great for lead -- and rhythm. And of course, the SG has much better high fret access -- and this was probably what it was designed for.

Bottom line, I think we all ought to own one of each in our arsenal.

17. Purple-Haze

Purple-Haze Member

Offcourse they are, the name says it all:

Super Guitar :thumb:

18. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

SGs are great for jazzy tones :thumb:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIC-nJRcgeU&feature=related]YouTube - Soft Machine (with Allan Holdsworth) (UK)[/ame]

19. mudfinger

mudfinger Thanks for the memories! V.I.P. Member

I love the sound of SGs, but I can't stand playin 'em. I don't like having to hold up the neck all the time, just not a comfortable guitar. Also, I'm not supposed to have access to anything sharp, but that's another story...:laugh2:

20. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Mudfinger's post just blows me away, because my '61 SG LP Standard is in perfect balance, and is a joy to strap on and play. I don't doubt mudfinger's truthfulness about his SG at all, so I guess I need to play some other SG models to see what this "neck heaviness" is all about. I think the balance of mine may be due to that fairly heavy "side pull" trem unit mounted on the lower bout. Or maybe there have been other design changes since 1961.