Gibson Relic?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Destroythevoice, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Senior Member

I've been doing a little bit of shopping around.. Buddy of mine just recently purchased a relic strat and it looked and felt amazing.. Just such an awesome feel to play something that felt so worn in.. I figured to look up Gibson les pauls to see if they have a line of relics but it appears they don't really do that.. But is it unheard of? I'm pretty sure there have to be some Les Pauls out there that are aged and look worn and play like beasts.. My current dream Gibson is a black Les Paul Custom potentially from the 80s or 70s.. The closest I have to one right now is my Epiphone MKH custom 6 and 7.. I love them but I REALLY want an American made real Gibson.. I've yet to own my first American guitar.. So I'd want something like this as my first American made guitar.

Should I also be concerned for certain years in Gibson shopping on Les Paul Customs? I am aware there are certain years that are more coveted than others. Curious as to why as well if anyone cares to explain. It took me YEARS before I officially learned to love Les Pauls and Strats and appreciate them and I've found that Les Pauls are my absolute favorite and that was based off of an Epiphone which shocks me considering the countless Gibsons I've played working at a guitar shop... We had one 1982 custom shop in the store once and it was amazing.. Just weighed like 30 pounds. But it played like butter and sounded like a monster. Anyways..

Looking forward to a little conversation on this.

2. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

plenty of custom shop relic'd gibson. they are gonna cost you a lot of money though.

3. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Reissues (57, 59, etc) are the ones that tend to get factory aging. Some by Tom Murphy, some by Gibsons in-house aging team.

Best years? That's a whole can of worms because there is no such thing. The good news is, since you're years away from a purchase anyways, continue reading up on them and you'll have a much better idea of what you want when the time comes.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  4. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

There's a few guys on here that have done fantastic jobs relic'ing their guitars. Since it may be down the road for you, it might be something you're interested in doing yourself?

Destroythevoice likes this.
  5. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

Any pics??

6. Destroythevoice

Potentially when I get tired of my Epiphone or if I happen to get another one for a real steal I was going to attempt to relic that one as a test.. But to spend so much on a Gibson and just cut away at it especially depending on the year i decide to buy id feel insane to even take a screw driver to a screw on that thing.

7. ElectricKaibutsu

ElectricKaibutsu Member

8. Destroythevoice

9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Unless you refin the epi with nitro, expect woeful results. I'd guess maybe 1/10,000 poly relic jobs are acceptable.

10. Destroythevoice

Is it even worth refinishing it with nitro? Surely thats gonna cost some serious cash.

11. moreles

moreles Senior Member

The idea of relicing an Epiphone -- that is, making a new brand (as far as LPs are concerned) look old just seems weird. Between the poly and veneering, it's fraught with pitfalls. Why bother? As for "best" years for LPs, that's totally subjective. I find guitars (talking about Standards, Deluxes, and Customs) to like a lot across the whole time span of production with the exception of roughly the end of the 90's and the first decade of the 2000's, when the regular production instruments were often indifferent or even crappy (IMO). In 2015, major design changes were implemented that most dislike. But there are good individual instruments in all years (thanks to Gibson's famously inconsistent quality control). With LPs so desirable, and so many out there, the market is pretty consistent price-wise -- you get what you pay for unless you're negligent.

12. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I think thats the point. Unless you put way too many more $$ into the guitar than its worth, you will never have something that will relic well. Then in both cases you take away a lot of whatever value is left in it with the relic job.

13. jstarr823

jstarr823 Senior Member

That number is quite optimistic. More like 0.01/100,000,000.

14. Destroythevoice

Might as well finance that custom shop les paul i saw on reverb! Good to know!