Gibson Quality Control

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by dcmey, Jul 9, 2008.

1. dcmey

dcmey Senior Member

A number of people here have openly talked that Gibsons quality control isn't that good lately. My question is why and how to fix it. I have a VM studio and it plays fantastic I got a good one. Are people expecting a better guitar for the price your paying? Are the stores not setting the guitars up good? I know people freaked out about the chambering, personally I didn't think it was a bad thing. I thought that I would create this thread and maybe the people at Gibson will notice and try to improve their guitars.

2. Guido

Guido The Gweeeed V.I.P. Member

I think that when you are buying a 2-3k guitar, you should expect to arrive perfectly set up and flawless...lately Ive been seeing lots of flaws in even Custom Shop Les Pauls...:shock: Id rather prefer to buy an old used one to a new one (bare in mind where I live and that Ive got to buy unsightseen)

3. stratusajam

stratusajam Member

I think they have a deadline to meet and don't have enough workers, so the quality suffers. But I bet famous players don't get LP's with QC defects.

4. jomo

jomo V.I.P. Member

I was talking to an ex Gibson employee about this the other day. He said that a few years ago they changed Management's pay plan. Their Manager's pay is based on how much they can save on material and labor (cutting corners). I think it's very sad. My Slash is awesome and I have no complaints, but I've seen some where the neck joint was all jagged and looked horrible. I think that this will make the older ones more and more popular.

5. dcmey

dcmey Senior Member

There isn't anything wrong with cutting corners as long as the quality remains the same. But if its not then you got a problem.

6. Guido

+100

7. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

I don't have anything newer than my '07 EDS-1275, and other than a few improperly filed nuts, I've never had a single problem.

8. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

I played 50+ different LP's at Guitar Centers in Oklahoma,Arkansas,Texas, and Missouri over the last 3 weeks and I ended up buying an Epi. I found rough frets, finish flaws, inconsistent location of the bridges, tuners out of alignment and several other defects on most of the Gibsons that I picked up, but they were all production line models not custom shop or historics. Not impressed with the ones I played.

I had intended on spending $1-2K on a new Gibson, but the only one that felt good and had no issues was an Ebony Epi Standard, go figure.

However GC in Fayetteville, AR has a real 57 Black Beauty for $79,999.95 USD

9. Owl

Owl V.I.P. Member

I've had no bad experiences yet, so I usually don't comment in threads regarding quality. I try to see the best in everything, so until I have a bad experience, I assume that I'll have a good experience.

10. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Maybe they should set up a good QC department and base the managers' pay on how many guitars fail a quality inspection.

With that said, I've played some Gibsons and owned one. no complaints from me.

11. sarge40

sarge40 Senior Member

An example of the QC issues that I can offer is this. I have an 07 Standard and the top is absolutely stunning, AAA honeyburst. The board and the rest of the wood seems to be top notch, and the finish is ALMOST flawless. They f***ed up an otherwise great guitar by being careless with the filing of the binding and not tending to finer finish details by leaving orange peel around the neck pocket. Plays great, sounds great, looks great from a couple of feet away, but still bugs me that they couldn't just get this one perfect out the door. I got a great price on it used, so it doesn't bug me THAT much, but still makes me think, "what if they really cared?":hmm:

12. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

c'mon, be realistic. you expect the guitar to be set up when it arrives? riiiiiiiight.

while i agree that the QC isnt where it should be, i think it is important to note that we ask for the impossible: machine manufacturing precision from human hands. i'm excusing everything flaw, but we really do expect the impossible.

13. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

+1

I also think it's worth pointing out that all you have to do is go to other companies, many of which have significantly better qc and significantly lower prices. One example: https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=cs6

You can hang your hat on the idea that they still aren't Gibson. Or they don't have nitro, or 50+ years of history. But the bottom line is you can get great instruments, for less money and better qc from other companies.

At what point is the Gibson name and history just not worth the price anymore? We may not be there now, but can we see it on the horizon?

14. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

I think 99% of the QC comments boil down to "I can't afford a Gibson".

And what would be a perfect setup for you might not even be close to where I want it. They have to keep them high enough to work in any humidity location. Bring a guitar from the East Coast to Alberta and see what happens. If you're in the Gibson league, you should either know how to do your own setups, or know a good luthier to do them for you.

15. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I agree on a lot of levels. But there is "my" personal desire for a setup and an acceptable generic setup that should be a no-brainer on a guitar in this price range. And anyone who knows how to do a setup is capable of seeing what could have easily been done at the factory to have achieved this generally accepted setup.

And again, Gibson isn't the only company who ships guitars around the world. What is it about the Gibson design that makes it travel so imperfectly compared to less expensive products from other companies? Yes, even set-neck products.

I don't have as much experience with PRS products. But I don't get the impression that they have these same qc conversations about PRS products even though they are in the same price range. Please correct me if this observation is incorrect.

I really don't have an axe to grind with Gibson. But I think the points that have been made about their qc are fair observations to discuss. And I'll have to respectfully disagree with your comment about "I can't afford a Gibson." Speaking for myself and only myself, you're 100% wrong with this assumption. My points have been made and it has nothing to do with sour grapes. Only observations of products, prices, and qc from the factory.

16. Guido

I dont expect to get the guitar out of the case to be in tune after crossing half the atlantic ocean, but Binding Flaws? of a Les Paul Custom? WTF?

17. stryker59

stryker59 Senior Member

not responding! just posting # 900! 100 more to go for the 1000 post club!!:dude:

18. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Given the fact that much is done by hand and Nitro is hard to work with, I think that Gibson fails to turn back guitars that are "borderline" acceptable to save $$. What they SHOULD do is bring back the Factory 2nd. That would make EVERYONE happy. (not really, I'm sure - but I'd be fine with it)

19. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Woohoo!!!!

20. Guido

Ill tell you the truth: I just bought an Elitist. My godfather bought it to me, he is a very rich man and told me to pick the guitar I wanted. Having played for 2 years on acoustic and attended classes for 3 months, I think the guitar is even too good for me, no one can discuss that. I could have picked a Standard Faded, or any other guitar(Yes, he would have bought me a RI even If I asked for it) But I see no need for a 3-4k guitar at this point. I prefer a bang for the buck Elitist that plays better than a Studio and looks better IMO. Maybe next year I get an Historic, yeah, but I will hand pick it, and play it before. I wont let Gibson QC to have the opportunity to let me down (With this I dont mean EVERY SINGLE Gibby has flaws here and there, but there are some...)