Gibson Price Increase

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by markguitar, Sep 20, 2017.

1. jamman

jamman Premium Member

No, I actually "get It" It's not about me selling my guitars . As I've not listed anything for sale in a while now .
    I'm guessing you'd buy 1 of those unsold guitars if the Seller accepted a $2,900 offer ...

2. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Senior Member

To the price increase topic, consider the landscape. While it doesn't apply to each individual, and maybe not the guitar industry, the market is at all time highs, housing markets (not all, but a lot) are booming, and unemployment is the lowest it's been in 10 years. With the debt load Gibson has, when is there ever going to be a better time to take a stab at higher prices? Again, maybe not to each person that reads this, but money and credit are flowing.

On the buyer's market topic, I agree with the sentiment about the remarkable deals out there. I have long since run out of my play money due to the deals. I'm seeing Standards (Standards!?!?) at $1500 all over the place. Repaired necks, I just scored one (A 2016 Standard) for $700. Used reissues are flooded in the classifieds right now. If one guy won't deal, go to the next.

I'm just looking at the facts I see out there, and I know nothing about running a guitar company. What I do know is that companies have to evolve, and certainly can't sit still and hope things magically improve for their business model. Sometimes that includes price increases. I'll also say these decisions are rarely singular. Reorganization, production changes (remember that 99 page thread about henry discontinuing reissues???), changes in offerings (they're offering so many more options in many varieties they never have, not saying good or bad, just what I see), etc...

I CAN understand and empathize with OP Mark's lament. His point of view I get.

3. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Both at Wolfe's, not far from you. I was just there this past Wednesday. I don't know if you noticed, finding a used Historic reissue to try before you buy in our neck of the woods is not easy.

4. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

lol

Do people buy Rolex to tell the time?

FennRx likes this.
  5. blackie2

blackie2 Senior Member

Why yes, yes they do.

6. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Member

the more i read about the 2018's, the more relieved and happy i get that i bought in 2017 and didnt wait just to be disappointed with half finished bursts, rear mounted pickups and a price increase... altough i may try to find a 2018 standard sg in (what i believe is called) autumn burst used in a couple years.. really diggin that colour :eek2:

7. Roshy Boy

Roshy Boy Senior Member

I've seen some decent deals on line at some well know retailers. As well as some not so good deals from the same retailers. I've always wondered why some guitars are priced lower over others when they are essentially the same. Maybe it's what they took them in for and they have a certain dollar amount they want to get?

It does seem the deals are always on line and never local. One thing I've learned is, trying before buying works best. So, to do that, I have to stay local and pay a little more. Still get a discount. But not a blow your socks off discount

8. jamman

jamman Premium Member

I'm not familiar with "Wolf's" so I know nothing about them, never been there .

Agree South Florida has been crappy for New Historics , For Years now ... It has been so bad I stopped going to the stores local to me , since they normally wouldn't have any ... and I wasn't looking for anything. Since No store ever came close to matching the prices I would get from HOG ... I felt the trade off was worth it . Plus , getting a "nice Looking top " was rare ,imo .
    The key to this problem is , that buyers stopped buying Historics at the prices GC and SA sold them for .
    Stock can only sit for so long . Both GC and SA are a shell of what they used to be as far as stock is concerned . then the prices are so much higher , it's a no brainer ,imo .

Trying before you buy is always the best , but $$$ talks and BS walks .... If I have to send a guitar back because it's not good for me , I'll pay the shipping when the price difference is so great. $500-$1000 + in my pocket works .
    I've found that having a relationship with a dealer , who sorts out those he /her thinks you'll like , and sending you pics and spec of the guitar has been very helpful .
    Adapting to the times is a key trait to survival .

Doesn't make a difference to me , now anyway , as I done buying anything . I have way to many as it is .... And the Big move , in the next few months will have them sorted out .... Some need to go .... Now parting with which 1's is my question ...

alnico59 and mudface like this.
  9. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I did not know that how I purchase my Gibsons was life threatening and "key to my survival":laugh2:

jamman likes this.
  10. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I'm happy with what I have (2010 R7) that cost me $2850 new, shipped to my door. From the looks of the insane price increases if I ever decide to buy another Gibson, it'll be used. I'm not paying a uber premium price to cover HJ's stupid business decisions and debt.

jamman and RAG7890 like this.
  11. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Sorry. Wolfe's Guitars, owner Jay Wolfe. It's located in Jupiter right of exit 116 Florida TP. Last of the larger Mom & Pop stores. Some real nice eye candy there, no pressure and the owner is a cool guy. I bought a Marsh tweed Bassman there last year. Love that amp. Mike Marsh located in Ft. Lauderdale as I'm sure you probably already know. Another good guy to deal with. Stands behind his work 100%.

Even though I haven't had the need yet, nice to be able to throw the amp in the car and drive for repairs, maintenance from the actual builder. I'm kicking the thought around of having him build me another tweed amp soon.

Btw I agree about GC and SA. I have absolutely no interest.

jamman likes this.
  12. jamman

jamman Premium Member

It's life threatening when the wife find out how much $$ you spent for it (most of us ,that is) :doh:
    or when you realize you don't have any $$$ for new strings and a pick

Who hasn't thought , when your in the store , thinking about buying 1, since it's fantastic and is exactly what you've been looking for ,,,, Geez , My Wife's goona kill me , if she sees this 1 .... when I told her I was going to get some strings and I'd be back in an hour .....:lol:

13. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

I guess when you nail it in '59 all you can do is just reissue it and increase the price until people stop buying new guitars! It's tough to peak 58 years ago...especially when people didn't realize they wanted then until 10 to 15 years later and even then it was just by a select few....

Pleximan likes this.
  14. mudface

mudface Senior Member

This is why I sleep with one eye open:D

I have nightmares of my wife with a sack full of Miller Lite Beer bottle caps........

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    RAG7890, OBX351 and Pleximan like this.
  15. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Member

... and they weren't even that popular in 1959... and considered a failure by many.

If I only had a time-machine. :hmm:

16. Pleximan

Pleximan Premium Member

If only; I'd go back to like 1963. The 1959 and 1960 bursts have been out, and are probably in a pawn shop. Maybe they're even in a music store, selling used for $50 or 100 dollars. I'd buy 10 of them.

17. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Yeah I would think 1963 would of been a good time to buy one. By the end of that decade the pendulum was singing the other way. I recall reading Page bought his #1 '59 sunburst in 1969. He had the BB already which was stolen. And Bernie Marsden also bought the Beast in 1969 after playing it on loan at Woodstock. I think the story of Marsden's Beast was that he struggled to afford it.

When I read the stories about those days and listen to the old records I forget about all the BS Gibson has pulled. The history and tone of my LP's is what keeps me going I guess.

18. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

19. PierM

PierM Premium Member

I can confirm that trend and the raise it's around 10/18%. Bought a 2017 Custom from a fresh July stock for 4.3K. New stock of same guitar is now 5.1K. Same with all new stocks (or available for order) of CS I see popping around.

20. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Price increases are inevitable, fact of lifetoid. I thought I'd never buy an LP for 2K. twas ridiculous amount of money
    in comparison to the 74 Deluxe & 68 Custom that put me out less than 750 bucks each, way back then.
    Call it inflation or price gouging or whatever, lots of people are gonna dig in & buy them when it comes round to need a new guitar day.