Gibson Price Increase

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by markguitar, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Frisco Kid

Frisco Kid Senior Member

Most of the models I was interested are being blown out right now at ridiculous prices so I'm oblivious to this price hike. TBH, I'd think the market is saturated with Gibsons right now with all the Blowouts at GC, CME and SA? Who's going to buy any 2018s?

2. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Is it that time already for this thread? Lolz

Remember when Gibson hiked the price for Historic's? No one will buy them at that outrageous price this forum said. People will commission expensive fakes for less money that are more vintage accurate, this forum said.

And I said "no, people will bitch and moan but will run back to Gibson like a battered housewife."

I wonder if 2018 will be the year that Gibson finally goes under. I doubt it.

Howard2k, XpensiveWino and MikeC like this.
  3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

All this is doing is increasing the buying of used models that you can send away for a Makeover. Then you get back a guitar that's better in just about every way. And your getting close to paying the same price for a new Gibson.
    Keep raising those prices Gibson. I'd never buy a new Gibson guitar anyway. Far to many beautiful pieces on the used market for a much better value.

4. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

I didn't.

FennRx likes this.
  5. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

zamdrang likes this.
  6. zamdrang

zamdrang Member

Thanks for posting, 1.2 billion in annual revenue and can't pay its debt. I've forgotten most of what I learned about business accounting in college, but that sounds like a mis-managed company to me. Interesting about GC too, wouldn't break my heart to see it tank.

7. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

I have absolutely no idea for sure but I suspect that debt is your typical 'financed the purchase' debt Americans love so much. It was common back in the day to take out loans to buy failing businesses, turn them around, get revenues up and just keep servicing the debts by re-financing them periodically. In the meantime you pay yourself dividends in the millions. When, eventually, the debt gets big enough to become a risk of default, you sell the company to someone else who'll just use more loans to buy the debt and the cycle repeats, or default and liquidate and the receivers sell the company to someone else who'll just use more loans to buy the remaining much diminished debt and the cycle repeats. It seems likely that Gibson Brands holds the debt but probably just a holding company? Either way I don't think there is any real danger of Gibson going bust. Ownership might change but the show will go on. Henry bought a bunch of junk businesses with that debt if you recall.

mrfett likes this.
  8. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

I know when I am looking for solid financial information on businesses, "The Street" is a always number one on my list. :D

Never heard of the site and since Gibsons financial records are not public I don't think I would take much stock in that story from that site, even though everyone seems to be believing it these days.

I don't think Gibson is doing financially great right now but I don't think any guitar manufacturer is doing all that great at the moment.

New guitar sales are down everywhere, not just Gibson.

9. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Gibson already sold those guitars ,so it's the dealer losing $$$ . chapter 11 and HJ jumps out with a golden parachute and a smile . a big smile . it's the new way to run a business. If you fail , you win .

C.J. likes this.
  10. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Wow, this thread brought 18 "junior" members out of their shells. :laugh2: :applause:

I still have my six LP reissues I bought back in '05-'07, '11, '12. I think I'll keep mine.

I stand by my prediction made 4 years ago that new Gibson '59 LP reissues will be priced at $20,000 MSRP in the year 2025. :rofl:
    (I don't remember the exact price or year I predicted but, you get the idea)

It's not just Gibson raising prices. Have you priced Knaggs :shock:, or Martin :shock:, or Taylor :shock:, PRS, Collings, SCGC, TEYE, or (insert boutique brand here) guitars lately? Talk about sticker shock.

It's a rich man's landscape out there for premium guitars. Since I bought all my expensive guitars back when they were "reasonably" priced, I decided to buy a new Harley instead. :naughty:

11. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Absolutely, and the booteek amp market is even worse. People actually pay $3000+ for a Marshall clone when you can buy the real thing for that money.

GearHo, djsuckapunch and THDNUT like this.
  12. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Yeah, it's a buyers market. But it still takes two to tango.

13. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

http://www.northernlightsmusic.com/...wth-brazilian-rosewood-and-adirondack-spruce/

Amongst to the sea of braz stumpwood these days, check out how straight the grains on the braz back on that guitar. $20k.

THDNUT likes this.
  14. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Member

This happens every year... almost. No shocker. It has little impact on the final price an end consumer will pay. Polish up your haggling, hondling, and bargaining skills. No one pays MSRP for these guitars anyway.

15. Pleximan

Pleximan Premium Member

Well, I have two replicas closer in tone and quality to original bursts, then anything Gibson is putting out. Also, I paid a 1/4th of what True Historics go for. I'm not down with the insane price gouging Gibson has been levying the last 8-10 years. Sorry I'm not at all sorry.

16. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Ehhh, my next guitar will be a Heritage

17. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Not quite sure what you mean here. Two to tango?

Buyer's market in used (I agree) or new?

18. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

Gibson disappoints me. Their prices have gone up while their quality has gone down. I bought a newer model and got rid of it 8 days later. Junk.

19. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Someone else ended up with that guitar and probably thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. :rofl:

20. lpthomas

lpthomas Member

What model was that?

I think it has been proven multiple times that this general statement about the quality of their guitars is simply not true.