Gibson Online Store

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by paruwi, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

:lol::laugh2::rofl:

bulletproof and MikeyTheCat like this.
  2. Fred

Fred Premium Member

I was at the Gibson factory in Memphis a couple of months ago. They have a factory direct store there and they would not sell anything for less than MSRP. They did let me have a reissue case for my 58' 335 at a very good price. Non of the dealers could get one for me.

3. HeartString

HeartString Non Prominent MBR Premium Member

I wonder when the HJ hologram LP will hit the market ;)

bulletproof, NewDayHappy and JohnnyN like this.
  4. BDW60

BDW60 Senior Member

It's a terrible idea because Gibson gets a lot of upfront money by cramming large numbers of guitars down the throats of their remaining dealers. Take that revenue stream away and count on an aging fan base to buy guitars direct? There's gonna be some layoffs coming.

5. Guitpicky

Guitpicky Senior Member

The only thing that's really changed is they now have a shopping cart onsite for guitars. In the past they didn't and instead directed you to a list of retailers in your area and/or online. My guess is they're still doing it and picking a retailer of their choosing based on available stock rather than just pointing you in the general direction and letting your own fingers do the walking.

It's possible that whatever retailer they choose would contact you post transaction to discuss the details. Since nobody replying has actually ordered one from the Gibson website it seems a little premature to run around like Chicken Little screaming that the Gibson sky is falling. It's not and doing so just makes you look like a troll and/or stupid.

They can't charge less than their distributors for incentive reasons. Who would carry them if Gibson was selling direct for less money? I doubt Gibson even wants the hassle of direct sales, that's what retail dealers are for. The MSRP prices are likely there to encourage people to go to their nearest/favorite retailer, not discourage it. Gibson sells a LOT of guitars and all thru their dealers, why would either of them want to cut off their nose to spite their face?

Also a lot of buyers ARE willing to pay the listed price for a guitar (not necessarily MSRP). If it's a specific guitar they really want, somebody else probably wants it too. Most people would happily pay the asking price to get that guitar rather than miss out because they couldn't get a discount. Discounts aren't usually given for products unless the supply exceeds the demand. Sellers put things on sale to get rid of them, not to be nice to buyers.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  6. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie

Had a browse ... rather liked the look of the Les Paul Classic Player Plus - P90s and a rounded neck profile - until I realised it’s a Faded 50s Tribute for about 3x the price. F-me ... Gibson’s pricing has got absolutely crazy now.

gcbike likes this.
  7. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

When Gibby starts putting them directly on CL, I'll start to get wood...

bulletproof, Mr Insane and Dangitdan like this.
  8. Dougj

Dougj Senior Member

I would never think of buying a Gibson without trying it out first, the agro of sending it back etc it is not worth the hassle you would not buy a bike car without trying it out would you :)

9. elephantrider

elephantrider Senior Member

i'd LOVE one of those juniors, but good lawd, $1500 shipped to my door.
    ..and it only has ONE pup...

10. MauiCliff

MauiCliff Senior Member

I did not see any re-issue?????

11. mart1964

mart1964 Member

I spoke to a UK dealer last week as I'd noticed that several of the main UK main dealers were no longer stocking Gibsons and Epiphones. The guy (from a huge UK store) said that to have a contract with Gibson you have to be able to store about £100,000 worth of stock AND you get no choice in what they send you. So if they are pushing a range of luminous green hybrid SG tenor banjos you may find yourself with 10 of them to shift. Thomann apparently have 500 of the Epiphone masterbild acoustics to shift, which are not proving that popular. Gibson needs to be bought out by enthusiasts and Henry HAS to go immediately otherwise we will lose one of the most important and influential brands in music history. Can you imagine there being NO Gibson ever again? It could happen! And that is scary and sad.

12. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

Yeah, but it's a really good pickup!

bulletproof and elephantrider like this.
  13. Dave_W

Dave_W Senior Member

This is nothing new. Gibson has operated this way for years.

Tone deaf likes this.
  14. nicholas322

nicholas322 Member

Fender is doing the same thing!!!