Gibson Nighthawk? Opinions appreciated good, bad or indifferent

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by pinefd, Feb 12, 2019.

1. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I have a relative who may be interested in buying a Nighthawk who asked me my opinion of them. Since I have absolutely zero knowledge of them, I figured I'd ask here. So, if you have some experience with the Nighthawk (any model), I'd appreciate your comments good, bad or indifferent.

Thanks!

Frank

2. bossaddict

bossaddict @david.beason on IG Premium Member

Hey, Frank. I think the Nighthawk is really underrated. I had a '93 Standard a few years ago and sold it to fund another purchase, which I always regretted. It has a lot of different sounds in it. I'm typically not a fan of coil tapping, but it really works on these, IMO.

Probably my favorite and the most obvious feature about the Nighthawk is the long (for a Gibson) scale. I find that it makes it just a little more comfortable for leads (for me, at least).

Here's a video I made when I got my '94 Custom a couple of months ago. I didn't really do any clean tones as that's not how I use this guitar, but at least it will give you some dirt sound examples.

Hope that helps!

David

pinefd likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Member

It's a cool guitar. An attempt by Gibson to win over Strat and Tele players. Also look into the L6s that was built as a Strat fighter. So these play, sound, and feel more like Fender. Versatile switching with many tones available.

Market problem was/is they are not from the 50s, so more difficult to sell. Same problem the LP upgrades for headstock strength improvements dont go over well.

pinefd likes this.
  4. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

The neck on an 1970’s L6S is very narrow. I recall handling either a Blueshawk or Nighthawk and it was full and rounded.

pinefd likes this.
  5. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Frampton had a couple Frank, so they can't be all that bad:

[​IMG]

pinefd likes this.
  6. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Thanks for all the comments and info, guys...and the video, David! Much appreciated!

Frank

Midnight Blues and bossaddict like this.
  7. midiman56

midiman56 Senior Member

The Nighthawk is a great gigging guitar. Lots of tonal variety and very light! An underrated Gibson, for sure!

pinefd likes this.
  8. BigTim

BigTim Senior Member

They play awesome. They have a smaller body than a les paul but they play like a dream. I had a blueshawk and it is just a semihollow version of the night hawk.

pinefd likes this.
  9. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Nighthawks are great, IMO. I like everything about them. Used, particularly, they are exceptionally good value for money. I have no idea why they are not more popular than some of the "lesser" LP models. Maybe the longer scale is a turn-off for some, though it doesn't seem to hurt Strat sales.

pinefd likes this.
  10. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

I think it is a decent model, so it just comes down to preference. You like it or you don't. Just remember rare and valuable don't automatically go hand in hand. Unusual usually means unpopular. But that can be a draw too.
    Imposters have met with little success, for good reason. Why buy a Fender that is like a Gibson, or vice-versa.
    I have a Fender Toronado GT. A surprisingly good Fender that thinks it is a Gibson. I like it, but never expect it have any popularity or big value.

pinefd likes this.