Gibson Midtown Standard... why so cheap???

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by paco1976, Dec 4, 2017.

1. paco1976

paco1976 Senior Member

Hi all,
    I and digging a Midtown Standard I have found for 750$ in my area. The guitar is nice, I really like it but I am wondering why is this model so cheap.
    The MSRP price before it was discontinued was $1299, so that makes the price I have found quite reasonable.
    But why was it 1299$ only? Don't you find that this guitar should be a bit more expensive?

Is there something I a missing?
    It's got Burstbuckers, nitro finish, binding in both body and neck, semi hollow, MOP Gibson logo...

I am confused and I need to make sure before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

PierM and Donal like this.
  2. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Oh wow, someone complaining that Gibsons should be more expensive :eek: .............. :laugh2:

It`s the same with the Nighthawks, some of the 335s, and some other models, nothing wrong with them at all for that money.

Now I hope you havn`t waited to long, go get it.

Who likes this.
  3. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

The colour..?:io:

:rofl:

Who and mgenet like this.
  4. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

:slap:

5. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

They are flat tops, so easy to make. The bodies are probably multi-pieced (I don't know that for sure) since they are routed for chambering (probably lower grade wood one way or another for that reason).

They were blowing these out one year for about $799, new. Cool guitars. I would own one (but not blue :eek2: ).

Who, mgenet and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  6. 2manyGuitars

2manyGuitars Senior Member

[​IMG]

Who, mgenet and Donal like this.
  7. PierM

PierM Premium Member

They are great value for the money. Just do not expect an ES- guitar, because it it not. It's a chambered mahogany body, not an ES construction, so it's way more focused tone than a ES, something more like a Florentine tone than a Memphis ES. Cost is low because it's an easy build. No arched top, no Ply construction, no historic tubing etc.... Much quicker to do on the pipeline and less costs. It's not meant to be a cheap ES guitar. It's just a different concept, and I quite like it. :)

Who, mgenet, mdubya and 1 other person like this.
  8. bwillard

bwillard Senior Member

I have that exact guitar. Believe me - it is a STEAL at that price. Check for a broken neck, however.

Who likes this.
  9. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

I like the Midtown Custom a bit better, but these are all a bit rare on the used market. I'd probably bite at that price and live with it a bit to see if I liked it. I paid about that much for a used Custom Lite- another 'under-priced' guitar.

The only downsides are the nay-sayers who will hate on it for not being a real whatever.

mgenet, endial and HeartString like this.
  10. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

[​IMG]

:naughty:

2manyGuitars likes this.
  11. 2manyGuitars

Hey, paint her Pelham Blue and I can’t guaranty I wouldn’t... :dunno:

12. afireinside

afireinside Senior Member

I bought a new burst MT custom in 2014? For $900. Great guitar it sounds like a ES LP, closer to a LP then a 335 much more focused. But great never the less. I think the Custom and STD are the same other then visuals.

Who likes this.
  13. modavis99

modavis99 Premium Member

I had one and I liked it. Some can be 9 pounds and some can be neck heavy - if these things concern you then you might want to check out the guitar before buying it

14. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Not telling which way to go, or even which one you'd like better, but for education I'd try to play a Memphis ES Studio before you decide. A truer ES in close to the same price range if you keep an eye out.

15. MSB

MSB Senior Member

I've had 4, two customs that I sold because they were neck heavy and two original standards with the bigsbys. One was black and a little beat (which is why i sold it) but was a mojo monster- i kick myself all the time. The other was a red one that even with the nashville bridge, you couldn't get the E and Gs to intonate, so it had to go. They're great guitars, but I wouldn't buy one w/o being able to take it for a spin first.

16. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Not really -- it was/is a cheaply made guitar. The MSRP stands for Mythically Stupid Requested Price. That's not a great price. It's a flat top CNC'd guitar with a solid color paint job, minimal inlays, and would have been $200 new if it were Korean and sold by Rondo Music. That's less to piss off current owners and more to note the current quality output of low-end Gibsons compared to offshore imports. They do tend to be neck heavy and you'll want to check the frets carefully, especially if you ever hope to play it with low action.

17. whitebread

whitebread Junior Member

If they would have put FAT necks on them, I’d own one fer sure.

MSB and endial like this.
  18. 2manyGuitars

I’d love to track down one of these at the right price and slap some black plastics on it...

[​IMG]

stilwel likes this.
  19. stilwel

stilwel Senior Member

I really like the idea of these flat-topped guitars after having played a slab-body mahogany LP Special for so long.

Though I'd have to swap the toggle and knobs around. I need the toggle switch closest to the bridge.

endial likes this.
  20. bigtimelp

bigtimelp Junior Member

They can be good, but the design is prone to dead spots. The necks are very slim.