Gibson Logo On Homemade Replicas

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by cdscarter, May 21, 2014.

1. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

In a more serious matter, I am contemplating more and more on having a luthier I know to build me a '59 style LP.
    I have been doing tons of research (about 20 pages now),worked on specs, have many measurements, I got some from a "real deal" (thx to you my "eastern friend") but as we know lots was done handmade so not as normalized as nowaday...especially for the neck, so I averaged some measurements from sources I can trust
    I got pictures of the "perfect faded burst " guitar I want and the neck shape I want but very much a '59 size slightly V-shaped.
    I will select the wood with my luthier (he knows but I valid...WTF do I know about tonewood...Oh well just feelings I guess.)
    Can I find my dream guitar on Gibson production line? probably not (believe me or not, I have searched, the closest was a 1992 but...short tenon and other off specs).
    And if I do, she will be priced at how much? USD/EUR 5000-7000-10000...more?
    I will have mine for 2500 EUR at the most (not included the Seymour D Joe B. '59 CS & some other harware I want to select as per '59 specs).

All this to say:
    I do agree with Houston earlier this thread, the Gibson logo IS entirely part of a Les Paul. As well as the Headstock shape should I add.
    That's also why I have Gibson's and not epiphones at home...in part.
    I can't see really what is the problem to have the name "of THE makers" on my replica (Gibby & Lester P).
    IT IS A TRIBUTE TO THEM.
    I am not trying to fool anyone.
    Of course I will ensure that she is recognisable as replica/copy/fake by having the name of the builder on it (back of headstock where the custom shop logo usually is) and by having an even longer tenon.
    Like this, any "dum a##" wanting to buy a real '59 will not be fooled. But then If he can afford a '59 he/she is probably not a dum a##, at least less than I.

1 person likes this.
  2. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

A replica isn't a Les Paul - it may be in shape/logo, etc, but it is not a Gibson manufactured item. Its not an original item.

If you are not trying to fool anyone contemplate that thought.

Unless you are referring to the makers sig and not Gibson which still doesn't make it a Les Paul.

3. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

I was refering to the manufacturer, not poor old Orville that indeed never had anything to do with an electrified Guitar.

Of course, I can only agree with you. It will never be and will not intend to be a real Gibson. No other thoughts or ideas to have about that.
    That is why I refered to replica/copy/fake...

I always bought genuine CD's and DVD's and before that LP's (as for Long Play) and very often have now both types for the same record.
    I use to put them on tapes and now download the same songs on my computer. But because it is not anymore the product endorsed/approuved by the band/artist/record compagny, should I change the name from Led Zeppelin to Zed Leppelin?
    Ok it is a far stretch, but you understand, if not agree, with what I try to say...

If I want to play real Gibson, They both are waiting for me in my music room next to two real Fender (bad bad boy!)

1 person likes this.
  4. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

"Facebook’s newest user agreement set off some red flags. When you logged onto your Facebook account today, you agreed that: “You will not use our copyrights or trademarks (including Facebook, the Facebook and F Logos, FB, Face, Poke, Book and Wall), or any confusingly similar marks, except as expressly permitted by our Brand Usage Guidelines or with our prior written permission.” What does that legalese mean? If you log into Facebook, you are no longer allowed to use the word “book” without checking with the lawyers at Facebook first. Read the full agreement here"

:hmm: I hope that if you have a Facebook account that you checked with their lawyers for the "Open Book" name. ;)

Please, take it as a joke... :cheers:

This makes me wonder where this world is going...soon libraries won't be able stock "books" but "loads of paper bound together".

5. rocknroll1385

rocknroll1385 Senior Member

It's your guitar. You can build it however you want, that's the great thing about building. You want to build a Les Paul? Great, go for it! Start up a build thread and show us the process! Make it however you want, "vintage accurate", your own custom tonewoods, different bridge, different scale, different headstock, whatever you want! It is your guitar and you may do whatever you wish with it. The bottom line is the thing is being played to make music, bring joy to people's lives, make memories with it, etc. Isn't that what we all want in guitars and music? Cheers guys :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  6. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

R&FN'R:slash: to you too my friend:dude:

You said it better than I could ever have.

7. EVH9442

EVH9442 Senior Member

I personally see nothing wrong with putting a Gibbo logo on a hand built REPLICA...notice I didn't say copy or fake. A replica is something built to exact specs, and should therefore have the correct name on the headstock for that particular model. But, headstock inlays with the builders name are also very cool, and are works of art on their own. Just my two cents, I just don't let it bother me too much...but if I ever build an exact, aged replica of a '60 burst, you better bet I'm sticking a period-correct Gibson inlay up 'ere :hippie:

1 person likes this.
  8. EVH9442

EVH9442 Senior Member

And who knows, my last name might just be Gibson :wow:

9. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

replica
    noun
    1 is it real or a replica? copy, carbon copy, model, duplicate, reproduction, replication; dummy, imitation, facsimile; informal knockoff.

1 person likes this.
  10. EVH9442

EVH9442 Senior Member

Again, if I'm building a Shelby kit car, I'm using the Shelby logo. That's the point of building a replica item. Not saying you have to use the original companies logo, I'm just saying that there is nothing wrong with it in my opinion. I guarantee half of these handmade replicas are better made than Gibsons anyway, and if they want to put a Gibbo logo on there instead of their own last name, so be it.

1 person likes this.
  11. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

Tbh - I really don't care what people do. I always find these logo threads funny. Funny in the sense where peoples morality is concerned. Its ok when really its not, ok - like I said. I con't care and I'm not judging, but we all know its wrong.

Its like f**k'n someones wife with a rubber and saying: well I didnt really do her in that sense...

And even your Cobra sellers have some morals:

"Shelby", "GT40" and "Ford" are registered trademarks. E.R.A. is not connected in any way to holders of these or any other rights involving the original Ford or Shelby automobiles.

Some of the exterior badges are optional, to keep us legal.

I'd rather say I know I'm doing wrong than try and justify it. ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

In simple terms, if you do #1 and 2, but have your name, you a not miisrepresenting the item, even inadvertantly. When you do #3 you take an extra step misrepresenting it as a G guitar. Worse, almost always that is going to make into someones hands, at some point who will think/believe it is a G guitar. Noone can guarentee these gits will be destroyed at their deaths, so they WILL end up in other's hands. Their provenance will be lost at some point.

13. EVH9442

EVH9442 Senior Member

True, the Shelby logo is trademarked, but in all honesty what's going to happen? Is Ford going to be bashing down my door with the swat team to confiscate my replica car? Last time I checked BUYING and SELLING counterfeit goods was illegal, not crafting and keeping them for yourself.

14. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

Buying & Selling? We were talking Logo's/badges - your going off track.

You can make what you like. Using it with the original companies logo in public breaches a trademark, thats not legal. In which case its up to the company to pursue any breach they see - which is why that shelby replica place is careful on what they are selling... And yeah, they could quite possibly confiscate it. They'd be in their rights too. When you use their logo you have no rights.

15. HankxHill

HankxHill Senior Member

Cease and desist letters aren't as binding as you might think. A cease and desist letter is a legal way of saying "you're doing something that I think you shouldn't do, and I can take legal action against you if you don't stop." Doesn't mean that it's actually true, and it doesn't mean that the council who sent it thinks it's true (C 'n Ds are very effective, even when they're complete bull) . Some C 'n Ds should be heeded, some should be forwarded to the legal council's bar association as a frivolous legal threat.

Back on topic:
    Putting a logo on a high quality burst replica, which has not been and will never be sold, is not a matter of deception or fooling anybody, it's a matter of preserving an aesthetic. Same reason for using the body shape and open book headstock. I'm having a hard time imagining any action gibson could take against this, and how taking legal action would be profitable for gibson. With that being said, I build replicas for personal use and have never used the Gibson logo. My last name begins with a G and is six letters, the aesthetic is easy to keep consistent with the originals.

Now I have also seen plenty of Gibson logos on replicas that were so poorly done that they might as well say Fender. Hard to understand how that is anything but an attempt at deception...

2 people like this.
  16. HankxHill

HankxHill Senior Member

One thing I am curious about is how Bartlett got away with selling those (beautiful) pre-carved maple tops? ...an aftermarket, accessory top?

17. rykus

rykus Senior Member

I would feel worse about downloading music from a band I like than using the design specs some rich c@#t bough ,that treats his employees poorly, has little regard for historical accuracy, and blatantly is all about the $.... WtF do you guys care:cool:

I like speeding too, maybe I'm a bad person

18. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

I may be wrong, but isnt Paul Stanley's former burst, which is in BOTB actually a replica?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

I dont know, but she's a beauty...real or not.

20. madmusicltd

madmusicltd Senior Member

I asked my 8 year old son what kind of guitar my Gibson les paul replica build was?
    He proudly said "It's a Gibson Les Paul dad" (he did watch me build the thing), I had to correct him, and then told him "No son, it is a "Gibson" Les Paul replica" and then I told him if he tried to sell it on ebay as a Gibson after I am gone, that it would be illegal and he could be arrested.... He looked at me with a confused look on face, but seemed to understand...

3 people like this.