Gibson Les Paul Studio tone versatility (Videos)

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Bubba Z, May 31, 2017.

1. Bubba Z

Bubba Z Member

Hello all!

I joined this forum a while back and haven't posted much since then (a lot going on lately!). Shortly before I joined I purchased my first Les Paul; a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Studio. It's a pretty damn versatile guitar, so I figured I'd post a few videos here to give a rough idea of the tones I've been getting out of it! I don't have recording equipment, so I apologize it's not mic'd or anything. The first couple videos are some stoner/doom/thrash metal tones and the next two are bluesy/jazzy tones.

Metal (Stoner/Doom/Thrash)

Bluesy/Jazzy Tone

2. LPSPP

LPSPP Senior Member

Sounds great

Liked the Valve king clip the best

Bubba Z likes this.
  3. Bubba Z

Bubba Z Member

Thanks! I like the ValveKing a lot. They're pretty good amps considering you can get them for around $200 used. The SD-1 really pushes it into some vicious metal tones.

4. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Nice!

Congrats on the Studio and welcome to MLP forum! :thumb: Studios are great guitars. When you consider the features of a Gibson Les Paul Studio, they might be the best value in the whole Gibson lineup. I think they're the best value in the LP line. I've been a member of this forum for 10 years now and I am hard pressed if I can remember anyone here that doesn't love their Studio!

What other brand of guitars do you own and what's your opinion of how the Studio compares to them?

Bubba Z likes this.
  5. Bubba Z

Bubba Z Member

Thanks! I currently own a Gibson SG Special Faded and a Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat (with an EMG-KH20 pickup set). Compared to those two, it's definitely the best overall guitar in both playability and sound. Compared to guitars I've owned in the past, it still measures pretty favorably. I started playing guitar at age 12 or 13, so I've bought and traded/sold a number of guitars over there years. Guitars I've owned include:
    • Epiphone Demon: My first guitar and I still own it. I should upgrade the pickups because this thing is wicked for thrash metal or other heavier styles.
    • Gibson Explorer: This thing was a great guitar, but for some reason I could never fully jive with it. I ended up trading it for an...
    • ...ESP Eclipse: If you want to play metal, this thing was damn near perfect. I could have swapped out the EMGs form pickups that sounded better clean, but I ended up trading it for a...
    • ...Fender American Standard Stratocaster: Overall, I should have stuck with this guitar. The neck was perfect and it always stayed in tune. However, when you're young and stupid, you end up making decisions you regret like trading it for a...
    • ...Gibson SG Special Faded: It's not a bad guitar, it's just not as good as the guitar I traded for it. Live and learn!
    Overall, compared to every guitar I've had at some point, I'd rank them Fender Strat (If I had swapped out the bridge pickup for a humbucker) -> Gibson Les Paul -> ESP Eclipse. I'm loving this Studio, it's very versatile and fun to play!