Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus refinish.

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by dixiethedog, May 15, 2016.

1. dixiethedog

dixiethedog Senior Member

Thank you for the info Mr Beef.:thumb:

This morning when I was out and about on my travel's,I stopped by the local timber supplier. The question asked was,"Can you suggest a wood bleach....?"
    The man at the counter told me that a UK company called Rustin's used to do a ready made wood bleach,but they didnt have any in stock because nobody ever bought it.
    So my thought's as I drove away were to look on the internet and find some Rustin wood bleach.
    Im busy doing a major property rebuild on a property I own and when there this afternoon I had a bit of a (possible) brain wave.
    Im going to do a bit of an experiment before I say what the brain wave was,just in case it doesnt work.:laugh2: But I have started the experiment and so far the result does look promising.:thumb:
    It's so simple it's stupid.:laugh2: Or I am if it goes wrong. :laugh2:

2. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Are you going to play Nirvana's Bleach EP at insanely high volume for a stupid amount of time?

1 person likes this.
  3. dixiethedog

It's more like AC/DC's Highway to hell.:laugh2:

I havent posted on here for a short while,but I have been busy.
    Ive stripped the new finish off and started again.
    Thing's were going well,I thought,but being a painter I always seem to have the urge to do "just one more coat of paint".:laugh2:
    The one more coat had a touch of amber tinted clear coat in it,and guess what? The yellow (lemon)I was wanting turned into a mustard colour (my wife called it mustard). Mustard or not,I kept on looking at it in the sunshine,trying to convince myself that I liked it,but knowing I wasnt happy.
    So it's back to bare wood again.....:laugh2:
    I have however ordered fresh paint supplies. Translucent clear yellow from the fab Manchesterguitartech online store.
    Clear Yellow Nitrocellulose Lacquer Aerosol | manchesterguitartech.co.uk

Ive also ordered some gold from there for the other guitar somewhere in this thread.
    Delivery of paint expected next Monday.:)

4. dixiethedog

Once the new yellow paint is here,that will be it. Whatever the finish look's like,it will be the last time I strip the guitar.:laugh2:
    I am confident now though,as seeing how nice BadlyDrawnLes' guitar turned out after using supplies from Steve Robinson (Manchester Guitar Tech),I think Ive picked the correct supplier this time.:)

Rothko and Frost's stuff is lovely to spray,but it's just not the right colour.:laugh2: I will be using their clear nitrocellulose to spray the whole guitar once it's nearly finished.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef Custom Refins/Restoration Premium Member MLP Sponsor

I did a tobacco burst using neck amber in the center. It turned out well because I think the neck amber is lighter in color. Just a thought... I'm always afraid that yellow will look too "lemony." I've made that mistake before. I'll look for pics of both so you can see.

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr. Beef

Here's the tobacco burst
    [​IMG]

Here's the gecko burst that I screwed up with yellow. Fortunately, this was a kit that a buddy gave me.:D

Here's your mustard color!
    [​IMG]

Looks terrible
    [​IMG]

I tried to recover.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It turned out ok, I guess. My friend liked it.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. dixiethedog

Thank you Mr Beef. Your "terrible" refinish look's like my old (1980)Gibson Les Paul heritage series std 80 .:laugh2: Even though I was not a fan of the LP Heritage guitar your finish look's as good as any Gibson Ive ever seen. i think anybody would be happy to achieve the level of standards you seem to do on a regular bases.:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr. Beef

Thank you for that! There's been quite a few mistake to learn from along the way.:D

1 person likes this.
  9. dixiethedog

I'm making plenty of mistakes as I learn.:laugh2:
    Im ok with the spraying process,just bad at making the right decision's on my material's. Im looking forward to Monday for my new supplies delivery when I'll be eager to crack on and get the guitar sprayed.
    If in the future I can refinish to any where near as good as you I'll be a happy chappy.:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  10. dixiethedog

My poor old camera's battery seem's to have died.
    But I now have a yellow-ish lemon-ish LP Studio Plus.:)
    It's still not 100% the way I want it,but I figure the maple top is too dark to achieve the light lemon unburst I was wanting.
    I used (I think?)4 coat's of yellow and 2-3 coat's of clear nitrocellulose lacquer.
    I then waited all of about 24 hour's before taking 1200 wet n dry paper to the paint and giving it a good polish.
    Next up,I need to refinish the rear of the body and neck.
    I am tempted to just stick it all back together and playing it as is.:)
    Time will tell.
    I will try to fix the camera.:laugh2:

11. badly drawn les

badly drawn les Senior Member

Hey Geordie Dog. Just found your thread. Thanks for the kind words. I've just bought a 50s Tribute Studio for a new project. Going to try & bind it, oh Lordie.

1 person likes this.
  12. dixiethedog

Hi Badly Drawn Les,thank you back for inspiring to have a go at refinishing a sh*tty old LP Studio.:laugh2:
    My camera is not wanting to play,but I now have a restrung partly refinished guitar. I was bored for an hour earlier so fitted the tuner's,bridge etc to make it strumable. A new word,to strum,a partly rebuild LP,strumable. Maybe not.:laugh2:
    If you should read this BDL,check out Mr Beef's studio conversion's. They are fantastic. Im sure you will be able to do a cracking job of your new project.

Im off to the toon for a bootle of broon.:laugh2: That will make no sense to anybody on here.:laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  13. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

The wood on my LP Classic looked some what the same Kind of Muddy at first, What worked for me was First off I used dye I put on around 4 or 5 applications and sanded it back off, The dye sticks to the flame in the wood so it pulled flame out, Number 2 After I laid down my last coat of dye and let everything dry, I used scotch brite going with the grain of the wood, It seemed to massage the wood and bring back a fullness and a shine to the surface. I didn't use a lot of pressure just lightly over the top until the fullness came back. Trust me when I say this wood look down right dirty.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. dixiethedog

WOW! That's a great looking guitar Jerry47,so thank you for sharing the info.
    I really need to get some picture's taken of my lemon/yellow top. The more I look at it now,the more I love it. Ive lost the muddy look when I changed to a different lacquer supplier.
    :thumb:

15. dixiethedog

I was eager like I mentioned earlier to get the guitar partly reassembled. So bridge,tuner's and new string's on. A kind of non electric electric guitar.:laugh2:
    One thing that jump's out at me is how resonant the guitar sound's now. With the new thin nitro lemon yellow refinish the guitar could be described as "zingy".:)
    I wasnt that keen on the guitar when I bought it,but it' seem's like a totally different guitar now.
    Who would think a refinish could alter the acoustic,non plugged in sound?

I need a new camera!!!:laugh2:

16. badly drawn les

badly drawn les Senior Member

I learnt the hard way that grey wet & dry type sandpaper can leave grey particles in the flame/grain.

1 person likes this.
  17. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

This one above being my First I'd say Yeah for sure defiantly a learning curve to doing them, No matter how much one can find to read there's still the small details know body mentions. The 2 threads I used were Yours "Badly Drawn les", And the other is in the thread that I originally posted http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/cus...ur-lp-top-using-color-tone-liquid-stains.html, I also asked the guy in the video I posted a lot of questions luckily he answered all of em. I want to do another with what I learned the first time I believe it would go pretty smooth, My finish was a rattle can finish, So I ended up using 1 can sand sealer, The 6 cans regular gloss nitro, I needed to lay down enough so #1 I wouldn't sand through and #2 I wanted to make sure I has enough clear nitro down so I would get good natural checking over the entire guitar. But yeah like you said about the sand paper dust going into the wood, There's thing's you just don't know till you do it. The one thing I would tell people using a rattle can is this, Get the can warm to almost hot & shake well before spraying in doing this the orange peel is almost completely eliminated, You end with a very Very Smooth finish even before wet sanding.

2 people like this.
  18. dixiethedog

I must confess that Im no big fan of rattle can's. They always end up slattering for me. Spitting paint out rather than atomising it and spraying it out nicely.
    Dont ask me why I say this,as Ive just sprayed a gold top tonight. :laugh2: With a rattle can. But thats for another story.
    Ive painted dozen's if not hundred's of part's and panel's for motorcycle's,so consider myself well versed in paint application. But,when it come's to guitar's I seem to be a total novice. It's a totally different thing to me. I can normally spray a part in 2k clearcoat and have it wet sanded and machine polished with in 24 hour's. This waiting around for week's for nitro to harden is a struggle for me.:laugh2: I did wait 25 hour's before wet sanding and machine polishing my studio.
    I do have my camera on charge as it turned out the battery was flat. So please feel free to check back tomorrow night for new pic's!:thumb: I hope.

1 person likes this.
  19. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

I too have used bleach a few times. Dilute it a little with water.

1 person likes this.
  20. jonnyboy69

jonnyboy69 Junior Member

Any pics of it completed? Or is it still work in progress
    Be great to see how it looks now :)
    Did you use the gold hardware in the end?
    If not do you have the hardware for sale
    I'm a fan of gold hardware & my project needs some :)