Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus refinish.

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by dixiethedog, May 15, 2016.

1. dixiethedog

dixiethedog Senior Member

Oh,I forgot,I dont want to totally refinish the front of the headstock. I'd like to keep the Les Paul model logo untouched. Id like to refinish the smallest area I can do.

Speaking of paint.
    Im going to side track a little.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. dixiethedog

The above are the usual type of thing that comes or goes(?)out of my workshop. Motorcycle paint. The pic's show the start of a tank to the finished state,which was a very pleasing glass like finish. The paint was a silver base,mini flake and then a candy with lots of clear coat.

This show's I can refinish motorbike's. :laugh2:

However,Im papping my breek's at the thought of spraying a guitar.
    I have nothing but admiration for people who can spray a guitar well. I think it's a whole different process which is something I need to get myself read up on.

3. dixiethedog

Im off to my workshop.

4. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

Acetone will take the pink off in seconds flat.

2 people like this.
  5. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Looks like you have a lot more sanding to do to get everything down to clean wood. It's well worth it. I echo the recommendation of acetone for cleaning. Just keep it away from plastics, etc. A good final finish is, as we all know, the result of meticulous prep, so I hope you like to sand. It took me years to develop the patience to do really total prep, but when I finally got into the groove, I lamented decades of impatient, good-not-great finishes!

6. Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef Custom Refins/Restoration Premium Member MLP Sponsor

I've bleached a few guitar bodies and I doesn't damage the wood at all. It seems to remove stain well and bring the surface back to its natural color. If there's lacquer on the wood, acetone will do the trick!

7. dixiethedog

Ive read a lot of excellent refinish thread's on here,and one that really stick's in my mind is Badly Drawn Les' Standard refinish.
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/cus...dard-59-burst-re-fin-make-over-project-2.html

There's a lot of reasoning for me to have enjoyed his work,I enjoy his writing skill's and humour as well as his incredible workmanship.
    Plus,he's based here in the UK and has shared info regarding product's that are available here. If your reading this in the states,you probably dont realise how easy you have it for being able to buy refinishing product's from a lot of different vendor's. It's a bit more limited here!:laugh2:

So, seeing as Id like a yellow burst refinish I noted that BDL had bought product's from a company called Rothko and Frost. In particular a yellow aniline dye which he's used to fantastic effect.
    I checked their website (Rothko and Frost) and could not see the item BDL had used? So I e-mailed them tp get a very quick reply saying they have changed their dyes to new improved formula's.:hmm:
    I dont want new improved thing's,I want the same as Les!!:laugh2:

I will order dye over the weekend and hopefully on it's arrival be in a position to make a start with my spraying equipment.

Again with thank's to Badly Drawn Les,Im going to follow his procedure with the top receiving a clear coat before any dye mix is applied. I have nitro clear coat here so that may happen in the next 24-48 hours.

Linky to Rothko and Frost dye.

Aniline Dye Powder for Guitars and Furniture | R&F

1 person likes this.
  8. dixiethedog

Going back to Badly Drawn Les' lovely thread,I was knocked out with his ageing process.:)
    I dont think Im going to go down the ageing process my self on this guitar,but I would if anybody should read this like to ask a question?
    Why is it when one person does an ageing job they (rightly so in BDL's case)get a pat on the back and a well done comment or two,and then when other's even suggest doing it they get shot down in flames and insulted. :laugh2:

I think to be safe I will just keep my refinish nice and clean and shiny.:laugh2:

9. dixiethedog

Im a little bit disillusioned at the moment with this guitar.

I thought I had managed to buy it at a good price,which I had. But today I was looking on a certain (european) dealers website and for about £25 more than I paid for this guitar I could have had a brand new Gibson LP CM. Delivered.
    Or if I had paid a couple of hundred or so more £'s I could have had a brand new Gibson Midtown std.
    Im wishing I hadnt jumped in feet first with this "project".

I really like single pup LP's,and I have a bit of an urge to try a smaller bodied Gibson semi.
    Oh well....:rolleyes:

10. Zentar

Zentar Senior Member

Oops wrong post Delete

11. dixiethedog

Never mind me having a moan to myself about the guitar.:laugh2:

Ive tonight took a Dremel to the gold Gibson logo to add a proper mop inlay.
    The recess for the inlay is cut and the inlay's ready to go in. But Im tired after a hard day. Im having a day in my workshop on Wednesday so will continue then.:)

1 person likes this.
  12. dixiethedog

The inlay is in,currently covered in black messy epoxy,so once I return today from work,I will start to sand the epoxy down.
    I couldnt find the carger lead for my camera yesterday,but will have a look again later so I can add more picture's.:)

Im also hoping when I return later the postman may have delivered some aniline dye from Rothko and Frost.

It's a weekend holiday here in the UK this weekend (Sat/Sun and Monday off),and I had planned a trip to the drag racing. However the weather forecast doesnt look that good,so instead I might just stay at home and work on the guitar.

13. wallym

wallym Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  14. dixiethedog

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

A partly sanded down blob of black epoxy showing the start of a new inlay.:)

1 person likes this.
  15. dixiethedog

Rothko and Frost delivered today a parcel containing some light yellow nitrocellulose lacquer. I could have sworn I ordered yellow dye? Never mind,the stuff delivered look's very nice and is exactly the type of colour I was looking for.:)

16. dixiethedog

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

The flame in the top look's like dirty mark's in the wood.:laugh2:

I can see why this guitar was finished in a heavy darkish wine red.
    It's not what you'd call pretty.:laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  17. dixiethedog

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I think on this guitar I'll leave the Gibson inlay silver rather than the more vintage "ambered" look of the older type of guitar's.
    The other guitar is another quiet project. It's a long term thing. A gold top refinish LP with the Gibson inlay moved down the headstock etc...old style.:naughty:

18. dixiethedog

Hmm...the front of the guitar look's horrible. I did for a few moment's yesterday think that it looked ok,but last night before bed I had a quick look at it and was very disappointed with the result's.

Back to the drawing board I think? Tonight when I return home,Im going to sand the top,and have a bit of a rethink? The maple top just looks very "muddy" rather than anything cool.

Gold top...

19. dixiethedog

I have had a few minutes spare before I need to dash off for work,so have taken my DA sander to the top. Luckily the dye is sanding off without any problem and I have the top 50% stripped. So tonight with a bit more sanding I will be back to a fresh start.:fingersx:

Id like to go for the Gary Moore signature type of yellow finish??
    Is there any way I can "lighten" the maple top's finish?? Bleach??

The next time,ahem..,I'll do a Badly Drawn Les and spray the maple top with a clear coat to seal it,then spray the yellow on.

Any helpful thought's or comment's gratefully accepted.:)

Gibson.com: Gary Moore Les Paul Standard

20. Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef Custom Refins/Restoration Premium Member MLP Sponsor

You can bleach that stuff out. I had the same experience redoing a studio and had to sand off the lacquer.

This is what it looked like at first after I sprayed the lacquer
    [​IMG]

This is after I sanded it down, bleached it, and did the first round of STAIN
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.