Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus refinish.

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by dixiethedog, May 15, 2016.

1. dixiethedog

dixiethedog Senior Member

I was having difficulty the other day with uploading pic's,so I'll try again before going into detail's of my plan's!:)
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. dixiethedog

Good,the pic's seem to be working now.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

3. dixiethedog

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

4. dixiethedog

Lovely,the pic's have worked.
    I was sitting minding my own business the other day with a cup of tea and a McVities chocolate digestive biscuit,when I thought Id have a look at the second hand guitar's for sale on a certain on line sales place.
    I noticed the guitar above for sale at a very very very good price locally,so sent the seller a message with a cash offer.
    An hour or two later and the guitar was mine.:)

I had been trying to pick up a cheap used Studio model to have a bit of a mess around with,as in refinishing and learning new skill's after seeing a few nice examples on here. I had wanted to try my (nervous) hand at routing for binding and doing a bit of a standard type conversion,but with this guitar being a bit of a flame top,Im going in a different direction with the edge being left bare maple for that faux binding look.

I need to go and find my camera battery charger now to take some more picture's.
    Ive started to strip the finish and how I wish I had read more about this on here from people who have already stripped one of these!
    I tried some paint thinner's on a rag. It created a sticky glue like mess.
    Then I tried a heat gun. I was frightened that I may turn the flame top into a fire top.
    Next up,paint stripper.:Ohno:
    Year's ago,paint stripper used to be a very strong paint remover. I dont know what's happened,but it doesnt really do much damage to paint these day's. So I had a very slow day scraping away the paint stripper from the guitar.
    I wish I hadnt done this. I then retried the heat gun on part of the neck and what a difference it made. Easy paint/finish removal.
    Lesson learned from my error's. next time use the heat gun!

5. dixiethedog

I'll add more pic's later.

The general idea now is to do the guitar in a bit of a Gary Moore signature finish,but more yellow than the burst on that model. The rear body and neck in a natural wood finish and I will change the gold Gibson logo to a proper MOP inlay. The guitar came with gold hardware which Im not a fan of,so this will be exchanged for silver.
    I have a spare Tim Shaw pickup and a classic 57,so they can go back in to replace whatever the pickup's are in a studio?

I'll return in a while with picture updates.:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  6. dixiethedog

Just before I go,I bought the guitar from a lad called Dave,who demonstrated some of his guitar's,a cream LP custom and a stunning flame top standard to me thru a little Marshall amp. The guitar's sounded like a bee in a biscuit tin with the small amp,but the note's he played and the style in which he played them made me think he was a bit of a special talent. I would have loved to have heard him play thru a good amp. Top man,an inspiration to me!

1 person likes this.
  7. dixiethedog

Mmm..to modernise the guitar I may try to find one of those Leo Baul 100 decal's for the headstock.:laugh2:

8. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Should be interesting! The faux binding look should be good - I'm sure I've seen a few Tributes like that and they looked pretty classy.

9. dixiethedog

Thank you Tolm for your comment.

A few more pic's.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. dixiethedog

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. dixiethedog

I still have a lot of sanding to do to remove all the original finish,so I'll just do a bit here and a bit then as time allow's. Im not in any real hurry.

The top look's better to the naked eye than it does in the picture's. But,Im just using a cheap camera.

The "flames" in the top are more like dirty mark's in the wood rather than nice holographic marking's found on more expensive guitar's.:laugh2:

But so far in,Im still under £400 for a flame top USA Gibson Les Paul. :laugh2:

With a hard case too.:laugh2:

When I finish it Im going to see if that guitarist in Metallica might fancy doing a straight swop for Gary Moore's old Les Paul? As long as he pay's the shipping charge's I will be happy.:laugh2:

12. dixiethedog

After a bit of sanding I can see the guitar has like all of us old rocker's a couple of bald patches. The flame seem's to have done a bit of a "Kojak". (70's bald TV cop).
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

13. dixiethedog

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

14. dixiethedog

I sat Baldy in the hairdresser's seat,gave him a cup of coffee,asked if he was going anywhere nice for his holiday's and before he knew it,the bald patch's were "flamed" again.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. dixiethedog

Im going to have a bit play about with my flaming technique.:laugh2:

I think I'll try to bleach the top.
    Is it just a case of wiping bleach on with a cloth and then drying it off???
    I still have a bit of a pink left over from the wine red original finish.

16. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

I love projects like this. Curious to see how it turns out.

While you're at it (snowball alert) please consider getting rid of the Nashville bridge bushings. You could plug and re-drill for threaded ABR post. Or you could replace the Nashville bridge bushings with Faber iNserts. Other aftermarket brands have similar products but Faber is the best value for money.

I installed them on my Custom and very happy with them.
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/284069-review-faber-insert.html
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/custom-shop/286058-review-faber-locking-abr-bridge.html

1 person likes this.
  17. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Hmmm ... bleach, not sure about that! I've read/seen a lot of people dying the tops and then 'sanding out' from the higher parts of the grain which leaves the lower parts darker but not sure if bleach would just trash the wood? Someone with better finishing experience than me needs to chime in, though ... :)

1 person likes this.
  18. dixiethedog

I have another LP project lurking in the background that Im going to plug the bridge bushing's in. I may have a try on that guitar first before I commit to doing the same on this guitar. The guitar came with gold hardware which I dont care for,so a change is needed. Thank you for your input.:thumb:

19. dixiethedog

Honestly,I havent a clue what Im doing.:laugh2: I just make it up as I go along. I read elsewhere on the forum that somebody had suggested bleach to remove the pinkish colouring (UK spelling!:laugh2:)from the top. I thought it would just be a quick wipe over with a damp bleached cloth and then a quick dry with a clean cloth.
    I need to look into this subject a bit more closely.
    Otherwise I keep on sanding until the "pink" is gone.:)

20. dixiethedog

I tempted to go and cut the headstock face to insert a nice shiney new Gibson MOP inlay.
    Ive done a few inlay's with varying degree's of success. I get there in the end,but sometimes I seem to make work for myself.
    Ive tried epoxy mixed with black dye,Ive tried Milliput 2 part black putty and Im sure I once did an inlay in a different manner,but my mind's a bit blank at the moment.
    Ive found that both the epoxy and the milliput putty when sanded smooth are a different black to the headstock veneer. Ive Im sure even mixed car base coat black to the epoxy to try to get thing's looking good.
    I'll have a search around the forum's to see what other people have used.:)