Gibson Les Paul Studio or Epiphone Les Paul Standard?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Carroll1218, May 13, 2008.

1. ninny404

ninny404 Senior Member

Upload the pictures onto Photobucket :)

2. sdiggz

sdiggz Senior Member

thanks!! ya blitherin' Ninny ya! lol, just testin out my Dublin slang

3. sdiggz

sdiggz Senior Member

[​IMG][​IMG]YEAH, my stoner ass figured it out! better pic coming after my pump polish comes in the mail. sorry bout all the posts

4. lightningmonkey

lightningmonkey Senior Member

This is only my opinion but here it is:

Buy the VM for $800-$850 tops GC or Ash. Buy it in terms of simply tone and resonance, don't worry about fret edges and stuff you can take care of. Buy an SD Phat Cat and stick it in the neck. Put the Burstbucker Pro from the neck in the bridge of another guitar you have that you are bored of. Get the VM set-up with Martin Darco 10s. And then, for under $1,100 you've got an amazing guitar that can do a bunch of great things, that feels great and sings and not only that, it will cut through like a bolt-on.

5. scary pete

scary pete Senior Member

This boards become predictable! I read the topic and new people would recommend the Elitists and then later the VM Studio! lol!

That aside, I have an Elitist, and couldn't be happier. I don't know if I'll ever need another LP.

6. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

I KNOW I don't need another LP, but I'll eventually have 3-4. I can't help it!

7. mao101

mao101 Junior Member

For me, I use an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and I gotta say that it's a kickin' ass guitar. Sure it won't have the feeling of the real Gibson but at least a part of the sound with more Mids and Bass. Even if Epiphone and Gibson are the "same" company, they have their own qualities too. If you like a sound with highs added, then go to gibson and if you prefer more mids and bass sounds, go for the Epiphone. For a question of quality, sure Gibson guitars have more but if you're like me and thrashing a little your instruments, I'm sure you'll be heart-broken when your Gibson will have a little scratch or dent.

It's a question of taste, just try all the Les Pauls you want, and buy the one that matches you the most. Sure a good amp is nice but you'll use your guitar directly with your fingers so I think it's better to get the guitar you really want.

For the sound, you have an RP-350 you can adjust to get the perfect sound.

My personnal choice would be a guitar between 600$ and 1300$ like my Epi LP Custom (kind of 7-8-900$) and to buy a nice amp to fit that. If you know that a great guitar with cheap amp sound good, a cheap guitar and great amp sounds good I'm sure a med guitar in a med or good amp will sound awesome.

My personnal advice now : Don't choose a guitar for the price but for the sound you're lookin' for and the comfort of this guitar. I'm used to Mexican Fenders and Epiphone guitars so I'll use them for a long time. This is what I think!

8. ElhazGuy

ElhazGuy Senior Member

When I was looking for my new guitar, I happened to try a bunch of them (mainly LP's), of course. I can tell you the Gibson Studio I tried had a "weaker" sound than the Epi Std.Plus I tried right after that with the same rig.

My main doubt was between a Black Beauty and a Std.Plus. Although I wanted mainly basses and mids, I also wanted some trebs, so the Std.Plus gave me exactly what I needed.

9. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

I dunno man...

My Studio is still my "go to" guitar...even over all of my Epi's, my archtops, my strats, or my Gibson Les Paul Custom for gigging.

That '59 neck profile and the tone of it with the SD blackouts make it the "I have to do well today" guitar...

[​IMG]

10. Clouidpuncher

Clouidpuncher Member

Hey welcome to the forum. I have a 91 USA classic 60 RI (which is my number one and a great sounding axe !!!) However, i also have an Epi Custom Silver Burst Limited Edition which is also a very nice guitar - i upgraded the pickups with Seymour Duncans and this thing absolutley rocks now - i found the stock neck pickup a bit muddy for my taste althought the bridge pickup was ok. Anyway, for the price (bought it used for $500.00) and a set up of SD pups it now sounds like a million dollars. Just my 2 cents hope this helps. Cheers...

11. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

Holy necropost...this thread is about 2 years old.

12. lymanli43D

lymanli43D Junior Member

Good luck with your search. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]